/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi XL is Awesome so far

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by JoshuaDunn, Jul 5, 2017.

1. JoshuaDunn

JoshuaDunn New Member

Hey Movi users, We just got our Movi XL dropped of to us in NZ, it took a while but so far its worth the wait.
    I got it built and working in with our existing freefly accesories in record time, I am yet to test it in a real world film setting, but Wow I like the way it feels to operate and the Auto tune rumble is akin to a AMG Merc starting up.... Anyway, Im just seeing how everyone else is going with theirs.

I just tried to put up a picture of my set up, server issues! Thats the joy of living at the end of the earth

Cheers, Josh
    Chief pilot
    www.overview.nz

2. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

[​IMG] IMG_8813.jpg

There is a lot to like about this head!

We had it on a crane last night in a snowstorm. Minus 10 degrees celsius, with 50kph wind gusts. It handled the Alexa XT with ease!
    Only used 50% of one set of batteries for the entire night shoot. (Camera was powered off V-Locks).

We are looking forward to using our MoVI XL on more shoots here in Queenstown, New Zealand.

www.overview.nz

Jason Smoker likes this.
  3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oh...yeah....when we have summer, you guys have winter. I'd forgotten that. Interesting image, Ben.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

4. Jarrett Morgan

Jarrett Morgan New Member

Looks great. How much clearance did you have left with the XT mounted? It looks like a 15-40 or 30-80 on there. Do you think you could fit a 17-80 and still balance out?

5. Ben Ruffell

Hi Jarrett,

You would definitely want to test it first. But, maybe yes?

There is a lot of room available, and we did have a V-Lock on the back as well. You can easily power the camera directly to save space.

Different set up but we did put my Optimo Style 25-250mm on a Dragon, and have it fit with ease.

The whole rig is quick to set up, build and easy to balance generally.

6. Ben Ruffell

Just a couple of things to note...

- Freefly does not make a standard Arri 2 pin power cable yet. (I am hoping that it comes soon)
    - You will need to buy the Freefly XL Slide Plate. (The spacing on the bottom of the XL plate is not standard with other manufacturers slide plates).

www.overview.nz

7. James Hillstrand

James Hillstrand New Member

Nice photo Ben, good to hear how well the Movi xl performed on that kind of weather.

8. Jarrett Morgan

Jarrett Morgan New Member

Their version of the Arri Dovetail, no?

And I wonder if the camera power port on the XL is even capable of powering an Alexa. It is a Dtap rated at 6 amp, correct? powering the alexa at 12v is about 7.5 amp (the XT is 90w without AKS).

Is there a way of doing 24v out at the camera stage? the XL batteries are 24v.

9. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing, its great to see Xl's in the wild!

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a real beast!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert