/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Cable management or demonstration

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by Button Szu, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Button Szu

Button Szu New Member

Hello every respected member, I'd like to learn every single way to manage the cable on movi since I have lots of cable to deal with. Such as camera power, wireless transmitter, monitor and wireless control unit.
    If I opt Movi Pro, the issue seems less stressful since I have 3 D-Tab on Movi itself but the cables still either touch the backbone of the Movi or generate a bit of drag force which influence the altitude. On the other hand, when M15 is my partner, the bunch of cables as I mentioned above are the annoying enemy of the well performance.
    Sicerely hope that I can have demonstrations and cable manage solutions. No matter use 3rd. party gadget or any way to well manage it.
    Any, every advise would be excellent.
    Thank you all.

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Button, I like to keep the camera in the Movi cage as self-contained as possible, cable-wise. The only cable I jump from the camera cage to the ring is a 1-meter long, thin BNC cable (or a thin RED EVF cable). All other cables are kept tight and neat with Bongo Ties and velcro cable straps. I definitely use a lot of Bongo Ties, and I can't stress how nice it is to keep all the cables as tucked in as possible.

A lot depends on the type of camera you're using. It's also different if you're handheld or putting it on a drone. The M15 and Movi Pro are kind of different in the way I power things.

On the Movi M15, for RED and Arri Mini, I used V-mount batteries attached to the side of the camera. This would power the camera, wireless video, and wireless focus. The best batteries I found were from Global Media Pro, in terms of cost, size, and weight.

On the Movi Pro, there often isn't enough current to power everything. I can usually power the camera and the video transmitter off the Movi Pro D-Taps.

I sometimes have to use my old Movi M15 LiPo batteries with a JST to D-Tap adapter to power Bartech wireless focus. I can attach these batteries with a Bongo Tie to the top of the cage, or I can velcro it to the top\back of the camera body with Dual-Lock velcro. I've even Bongo-Tied the Lipo battery underneath the camera cage.

On the Movi Pro, I never use the 3rd 'Spine' D-Tap on the GCU. This is because it would add another cable to jump from the camera cage and drag on the motors, and also because it gets in the way when you try to Roll-Flip the Movi Pro, which I do a lot on set.

I prefer to keep my on-board monitor's power self-contained with its own batteries. This allows me to move it around the rig quickly without worrying about a power cable. My new SmallHD 503 has a V-mount plate on the back, and I use a lightweight V-mount battery from Global Media Pro. Some monitors can be powered by Sony or Canon batteries on the back.

Here are a few photos from the Movi M15 and Movi Pro. Note the excessive use of Bongo Ties. :)

IMG_0840 (1).jpg IMG_0842.jpg 094A8244.jpg 094A8245.jpg IMG_0385.jpg IMG_2598.jpg IMG_0641.jpg IMG_1409.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Button Szu

Button Szu New Member

Appreciate your amazing advise, Graham. It's very useful, I'll try the best way to accomplish the whole professional demonstration.
    Many many thanks.

4. Button Szu

Button Szu New Member

Hello Graham, thank you again for the excellent advise and I wonder if I may consult you about the
    SOP of connecting mimic beta, which I've posted on the other thread.
    And what is the side battery plate do you use?
    Appreciate you as well as Good Speed of shooting.

#4 Button Szu, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017