/dist/images/branding/favicon

Teradek Clip First Impressions

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Steve Maller, Dec 8, 2013.

1. MarkAxius

MarkAxius New Member

Hey guys, while most of you are flying high with your CLIPS and trying to figure out best range vertically, my application of the CLIPS are more.....horizontal. I figured you guys can't have all the fun, so we are using 3 CLIPS to feed signal from three HD cameras in the field to video village (our on site mobil control center) so our directors can monitor the action remotely. We had used CUBES in the past, but the guys wanted a lighter weight solution since the camera rigs get heavy. Using SWIT batteries to both power the cameras and the CLIPS, we have found what I believe to be the absolute BEST field production video feed for the money. Typically, field production units have been forced to use the $20K solution (Transvideo Rainbow II packages at $6200 a unit!!!! - yea, you need 3 of them for Reality TV), versus an all-in $3000 solution that provides clearer picture, extra batteries, and a lightweight solution. But just like our friends in the air, we to are looking to boost signal since we do a LOT of through wall broadcasting back to VV and sometimes the signals break up slightly, which is exactly the same as the TV products, BTW. I am going to have our field techs play with both the Ubiquiti Rocket M5 and the Apple Airport Extreme to see what gives us the best lineal signal. I would appreciate any experiences that you have have had with "through wall" signal boosting on the CLIPS because I KNOW you guys like to fly over buildings!!!!!!!!

Also, has anyone tested any more dynamic range antennas on the CLIPS yet?

2. Alexandre THOMAS

Alexandre THOMAS New Member

Hello Steve, do you still have a good link quality above the Ubiquiti Omni 10dBi antenna? I saw the specs of the antenna and it might not work above it. Am I right?

3. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Alexandre,

The biggest issue I've found using the clip and the high db antennas was being swamped by mobile phones, in the flights I have done being over the antenna is not as much of an issue as the carbon fibre being between the antenna on the clip and the router. Once the signal has being established it holds pretty well, just may have to rotate the copter to get a clear line of sight for the antennas to start with.

Cheers

Chris

4. justice

justice New Member

5. justice

justice New Member

Has anyone used a wired HDMI cable to repeat the footage from a tablet to an external monitor? Also are you guys boosting your RX on your groundstation?

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Sam Slape

Sam Slape Member

So Steve do you still use the clip? If not why?

Thanks
    Sam

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Me? Haven't used it since I started flying my GH4. But I probably will give it another go soon. There's just not that much need for it and I haven't got a new enough iPad to use it with that. My iPhone 5s works great, but the small screen is of limited use.

9. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

Did try mine with SmallHD monitor. Worked OK although the image was quite small with big black areas surrounding it on the SmallHD.

10. Ryan McMaster

Ryan McMaster Active Member

Steve, which 12v inverter are you using?

On the delay part, I am using a Samsung S4/Nexus 7 and only see 30-40ms even at long ranges.

11. Christer Dahl

Christer Dahl Member

Has the Clip been discontinued from Teradek?
    Cant find it on their website.
    Is the App also available in OSX version for Mac users?

12. Elizabeth Hylton

Elizabeth Hylton New Member

This is really helpful, Steve, thanks!!