/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Ring Pro - inner diameter of carbon fiber tubing?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Chris Burke, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Chris Burke

Chris Burke New Member

According to the documentation, the outer diameter of the Ring Pro is 30mm. Does anyone know the inner diameter of the tubing?

2. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

Well now you've sparked my curiosity... what will you be doing in there?

3. Chris Burke

Chris Burke New Member

Ha -- it does seem like a little bit of a dicey question, for sure. I'm looking to do a little customization of the Ring. I love it for balancing purposes, but it has proven to be a challenge to travel with, when I have to keep my overall baggage footprint down a bit (international, etc.) So I am looking at cutting it in half for easier packing, then adding custom joining ferrule tubes inside the top and bottom halves to make it possible to re-join it and use it for its originally intended purpose. Certainly not an officially-sanctioned customization, but it's a little bit of sourdough engineering that's necessary for my needs.

Attached Files:

4. D Lerrick

D Lerrick New Member

Hi Chris,

that's very interesting what you did there. Actually have thought of doing the exact same thing. How did it work for you, are you satisfied with the outcome?

Thanks and best regards
    Dave

5. Chris Burke

Chris Burke New Member

I actually haven't done it yet -- I am talking to a company that sells the joining tubes (they sent me that pic as an example), and in order to get the right size, I need to figure out the inner diameter. It's a very fine, specific measurement -- so I think I may just have to cut it and do the measurement myself. I'll let you know how it goes, and post pictures when it's done. The way I see it, assuming I can get the tubes installed very precisely, it shouldn't affect the functionality of the Ring -- but there's only one way to find out!

6. Erik Blaser

Erik Blaser New Member

Hi Chris,

The inner diameter of the MoVI Pro Ring is 27.8mm for the majority of the ring (this may vary slightly throughout the tube). There are two areas where this is not true, both of the areas where the carbon tubes are joined have one tube who's size is reduced to 24.4mm. I've added a few images to show what I mean.

Best of luck!
    -Erik

Attached Files:

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  7. Chris Burke

Chris Burke New Member

thanks Erik! Much appreciated.

8. Jason Comparetto

Jason Comparetto Active Member

I hope that it works for you. Before we settled on a design for Jason Case we tried to saw the tubes in half and use quick couplers to reconnect. The geometry of the ring along with the gimbal itself made it so that the space savings was not quite worth the expense and the effort. We also lost rigidity in the ring, which was helpful when standing it up and balancing.

Finn Norton likes this.
  9. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

You could buy a Cinemilled Pro Ring for travel. It breaks down into smaller pieces.

10. Chris Burke

Chris Burke New Member

Thanks Graham, that could definitely work -- thanks for bringing it to my attention, I'm going to look into it with Cinemilled. Would definitely rather not chop my Ring in half if there's an easier alternate way!

11. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Last time I had to fly, I removed the top handle and feet from ring. It fits perfectly to a suit/blazer cover bag. And gave it to flying attended so she could put into the hanger they have for jackets.