/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flight Log Software

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Dylan Glockler, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Dylan Glockler

Curious what people are using for logging flights? I tried DroneLogBook.com which looked good but the automated import completely failed - I'm thinking maybe a recent firmware update changed the data logging and screwed up their parsing.

Thinking about building my own.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Markku Rytinki

Markku Rytinki New Member

I think that the Dronelogbook is currently the best option. when you get used to it so it is fast to fill.

4. Dylan Glockler

It works well when it works, but it appears they haven't updated the import script for the latest version of log file. I import a file form June and it's great but one from August is a mess. FF added some summary data to the footer of the CSV, I'm guessing they haven't updated their parser script.

I created my own but it's shy a lot of features they have, like multiple file uploads and mine only stores a light summary so far but it wouldn't take much to have it parse the logged flight data. I'm thinking of integrating it with a production equipment management tool i'm building.

One thing I was hoping for in a tool: user's select the make and model of batteries, then link batteries to flights, logging cycles. Long-term, we could get an idea of battery performance and life span from larger sample data.

5. Christian Tucci

Christian Tucci New Member

I use DroneLogbook and love it. I know there are log file import issues sometimes especially when the log file format is changed of course, but I have found that contacting them and bringing light to the problem usually results in a pretty positive experience with them fixing it. Might take some time depending on the complexity of the log file changes but they'll get it done.

6. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi guys.
    A colleague of ours who pilots our ALTA 6 & 8 developed a logging program especially for the ALTAs and he has just gone live with. All you do is import the ALTA log folders and it does the rest for you so no need to input any data manually. It has certainly made our life easier out in the field in terms of battery management and aircraft flight logging. We were inputting data into excel manually before and it was my least favour task the day after a shoot!

Www.alta-log.com

7. Matt Laver

Matt Laver New Member

Hi Christian,
    How are you finding DroneLogbook now? Are they up to speed with the latest Freefly data? Also, do you use it for mission planning, or just the back end logging, and if so how comprehensive do you find it?
    Thanks,
    Matt

P.S. I'm an all Mac user so not keen to have to use a Windows based utility on my machines, hence my interest in DroneLogbook...

Christian Tucci likes this.
  8. Christian Tucci

Christian Tucci New Member

@Matt Laver We still like it! Use it for mission planning and backend logging. They do need to catch up in a few areas but they seem to steadily release new features all the time. Think they just released sectional charts as part of the mission planning stages. Have not tried that feature yet. I haven't had a problem using it with Freefly log files. The only big thing I really wish they had was better telemetry pulling from the aircraft in terms of really analyzing it and displaying radio signal strength throughout the flight and stuff like that. Sort of more along the lines of what AirData (Healthy Drones) does.

I'm a Mac user too so understand. Works fine on any OS in web browser. Their mobile app is really lacking though.

Matt Laver likes this.
  9. Matt Laver

Matt Laver New Member

@Christian Tucci Thanks for the detailed response, that's really helpful. It is good to hear they keep updating and developing it. Sorry to hear their mobile app could use some work, it would be great if it could act as a full onsite mirror of the main interface. After reading your response I had a look at AirData. I see what you mean about more detailed telemetry analysis. Shame it's just for DJI products.

Thanks again for the quick response.