/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI Pro GPS Heading Assist Issue

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Josh Lambeth, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I haven't opened a ticket yet but might if no other person has experienced this.

If I have the GPS Heading Assist mode turned on we no longer get smooth pan control. It always jumps and hiccups. If we switch to Compass mode it goes away and is fine. I've verified we have 13-15 satellite's and under the SATS it says GOOD. Position says No Lock however.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Josh

2. Tom Kreuzberger

Tom Kreuzberger New Member

Jup, we have the same issue on our unit .... GPS heading activated and it is jumping like crazy on pan ...

3. Josh Lambeth

My MoVI is getting shipped back to me after having some internal electronics replaced due to an issue I was experiencing that was causing the movi to stop working. I'll test GPS once I get it back and see if the problem has been resolved with the GPS as well.

Josh

4. Tom Kreuzberger

Tom Kreuzberger New Member

5. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Leave this option off (off works the best), all of our Movi Pros using GPS Assist w/ the 2x latest firmwares does the hiccup, which boned us on a fews high profile jobs till we realized what it was.

6. Sam Hannan

Sam Hannan New Member

Yep we have this same issue across 2 x Movi Pros I use regularly. I wrote to support and was not really taken seriously or maybe my email wasn't read properly. This was months ago. Unfortunate that this still isn't resolved.

7. Sam Hannan

Sam Hannan New Member

This was my description to FF support of our issue back in December 2016 just after we received Movi pro

"The last issue is really the most troublesome for us - it is to do with the heading assist setting. I have calibrated the compass, i get the same declination we always had on M15 and M5s. But on movipro, when I set the heading assist to GPS as per our usual practice flying the M15 - I get small knocks or hunting in the pan axis. At first I tried to tune these out but nothing worked, then on a whim I turned heading assist to OFF and the pan axis was smooth as silk like it should be. For this shoot we had to leave heading assist off to get smooth footage which was a shame as our horizon hold suffered on anything with some dynamic flying in it.

I did some testing later and this knocking was always present with heading assist set to GPS. When hovering nearby and connecting to the MoviPro via its app I could see that it has 14sats but NO LOCK was displayed. I am not sure if this was the case all the time or just when I looked with the app. The gimbal had been switched on for around 35mins at this stage and was under an Alta 8 and 6 alternately. Can you shed some light on what causes that knocking in pan with GPS on and what I can do to fix it? M15 never had this issue for me."

That seem like what you guys are getting?

8. Josh Lambeth

I can confirm that I still have the issue with the GPS heading assist after the electronics being replaced. Ugh

9. James Davis

James Davis New Member

Hey guys, have you tried switching off your jolt rejection, turning it all the way down to zero?

Not sure if you realise but with the Pro versus the M15 the motor hold settings also effect oscillation in conjunction with the stiffness settings and often don't need to be turned up that high on light/medium weight packages to also trigger oscillation particularly if you have already manually cranked individual motor stiffness settings up quite high using gyro/output/individual motor tuning.

10. Sam Hannan

Sam Hannan New Member

This happens to us across all and any hold power settings with A7S through to Arri mini with a big zoom shoved in its gob.

Really keen to hear from Freefly as to how we might help them track this one down and get it sorted ASAP.

11. Andre de Alencar Lyon

My unit had the same issue with GPS Heading Assist, along with many other problems. Notified Freefly of this particular issue back in February. Never heard back about a fix in the works.

12. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Have you tried using Heading Assist:Compass?

13. Gerfried Guggi

Gerfried Guggi New Member

Has anyone else tried FW 1.5 beta? I did a 90min test ride using GPS assist and didn‘t get any hiccups while panning (Mimic). Will test with Spektrum DX8 soon.
    Satellites connection was difficult to achieve, but once found they didn‘t get lost.