/dist/images/branding/favicon

International transport of flight batteries

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by alex ryan, Jan 5, 2016.

1. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hi,
    I have just started doing some UAV work for a production company that does travel videos. At the moment all my drone work has been local, but there may be international jobs happening in the future.
    I was wondering how people transport their batteries considering most 6S batteries dont meet the restrictions for air travel?
    Cheers,
    Alex

2. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Any advice on this one?

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Alex:
    Going from memory, there are several threads on this topic already. You might want to do a quick search using a search term of: lipo travel

Hope this helps.
    Andy

4. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Thanks Andy,

I had a search through the forums and couldn't really find any useful info, not to say its not there, just couldn't find it.

It seems people are relabelling their batteries (basically committing fraud to get them through customs. Not sure this is the best idea, so still on the search for a legitimate way to do it. I will post back here if I find an answer.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I know that certain LiPo vendors do that, but I didn't realize forum members were doing that....
    Andy

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Ship them with all of additional costs via Fedex/UPS. They will handle hazardous materials. Lots of documentation. Like your camera gear likely it is something that could be charged to the client.

And agree with you about the mislabeling which appears to be rampant from some battery suppliers.

alex ryan likes this.
  7. Larkin Carey

Larkin Carey Member

Shipping has gotten really tough since some policy changes. Have you found anything useful Alex? I have a few sets stuck in AUS at the moment.

8. Dylan Glockler

Anyone out there traveling by air with 6S batteries? I have a flight to Costa Rica monday...

9. Roberto Garcia

Roberto Garcia New Member

I'm also looking for info on this. Possible gig in Colombia coming up. I have 10 each 10,000 maH batteries I would need to get there.

10. Dylan Glockler

I swear I followed up on this but guess not. Had almost no trouble. A couple times they pulled them out and once even went to "look it up" - swabbed only once on the last leg coming back which added then minutes to a short layover but everything worked out great.

11. Roberto Garcia

Roberto Garcia New Member

How many did you travel with?