/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tuning Stand/Dock????

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Jake Wilganowski, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Jake Wilganowski

I can't find a movi tuning stand anywhere in stock. Can anyone suggest 3rd party solutions? Really need one. Cinema Oxide's solution doesn't fit the MOVI PRO. GyroVu's is also out of stock with no ETA. Haven't found any other options. I don't really want to pay $450 for the DJI Ronin version when Movi and GyroVu's versions are $300. What am i missing?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Is this of any help? It claims to be for the MoVI and in stock.
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/co...pi=1876,{creative},{keyword}&is=REG&A=details

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I love the dock I built out of a garage hook from Lowes. It cost $10 plus a gobo head from a C-Stand, and I put a back hanger for my Ready Rig vest. I've been using this thing instead of the Movi dock (which I also have) for over a year and it works really well.

I drilled out a hole in the middle of this thing:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-12-8-in-Gray-Steel-Utility-Hook/50218517

It works with the Handles or the Movi Ring.

IMG_3890.jpg

4. Jake Wilganowski

Thx guys, actually Adorama had the gyrovu back ordered but b and h has one.

Thanks!

5. Jonathan Nelson

Jonathan Nelson New Member

Nice, Graham! Is the spacing of the hooks correct or did you have to bend them into place?

6. Graham Futerfas

I don't remember bending them at all. The Lowes hooks I have are 12" apart, and I like that they're deeper than the Movi Dock, because I've been worried the Movi could slip out of the dock too easily. I measured the Freefly Movi Dock, and the spacing is between 10 and 11" between the hooks.

Either way, I use this hook system with both the Classic Handles and the new Pro Ring, and they fit well. The batteries on the Movi can be a little close to the hooks when you un-dock, but it hasn't been a serious problem. I just have to be careful when I back the Movi off the stand.

I've seen people make nicer versions of this hook, with a Baby receiver. Here's a thread where Mike Moghaddam did a much nicer job than me on building a rack, but I'm not sure where he got the Baby Receiver plate like that. Maybe from Modern Studio Grip?

http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/arri-start-stop.8960/#post-75967

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  7. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

$ 10 lol. . . .yea thats the one!

8. Mike Moghaddam

I got the same hook from Lowes that Graham got and then went to Modern and got the baby receiver. Drilled holes in the hook and done. Super easy and solid.

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

I could not find the same baby receiver on the modern website. . . can I bother y'all for a link, if you have the time?

10. Mike Moghaddam

I actually went in their showroom. I'm sure if you call they would know what you're talking about.

11. Jonathan Nelson

Jonathan Nelson New Member

That baby receiver looks like it doesn't allow for adjusting the level. So if you set the c-stand down on a slight slope you may not be able to properly balance? Any thoughts? Looks like in Graham's setup he doesn't have that problem.

Thinking about using this 90 degree plate to allow for leveling, but I don't like how this setup would push the MoVi farther out from the stand.
    babyplate.JPG

12. Graham Futerfas

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  13. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Graham Futerfas likes this.