/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tero at low speed

Discussion in 'Freefly Tero' started by henry bridges, Feb 17, 2017.

1. henry bridges

henry bridges New Member

Hi,
    I need to get rid of the motor/speed controller judder at start up.
    We are trying to start a shot stationary and only accelerate to walking speed.
    Its got the stock Castle 780kv motor and Castle XL2 5amp BEC speed controller.
    Anybody got any thoughts.

2. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Try this ESC:

Hobbywing EzRun Max 5, and a lot of expo on your remote....

3. Ulrik Pegelow

Ulrik Pegelow New Member

What will the EzRun MAX5 do that the stock esc doesn't? What do you mean by "a lot of expo on your remote"?

4. Philip Lima

Philip Lima Member

I am also very interested in making the Tero slower and more predictable at slower speeds. I have the expo cranked, but it still won't go at a 2-3mph pace.

Does the Hobbywing EzRun Max 5 ESC allow you to go slower?

5. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

The Hobbywing is much more sensitive, also in lower speeds. Another possibility is to use batteries with less voltage, for example 4 or 5S, instead of the stock 6S batt. Lower voltage means less turns/min (motor)

Search for Expo curves in google. It lowers the sensitivity of the throttle knob near the middle position.

6. Fäbu Wespe

Fäbu Wespe New Member

I calibrated the ESC according to the manual of the car. Now I can't put it in reverse any more.
    Any one had the same problem?

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson New Member

We found the opposite to Wolf, we use 8S batteries and that seemed to help/lessen the judder when starting off, over using 4S'.

We also upgraded our ESC, CC Mamba XL2 to the newer XLX. That stopped the appalling whine but increased the judder.

Apart from that, I agree a different ESC would probably help. But what you really want is a sensored brushless motor. Rather than just sending in timed pulses like a regular motor, a sensored one knows where the magnets (rotating bit) so it can send in the electricity more accurately. Which will help you get lower speeds.

I believe you will need a sensored ESC to go with the motor and one for a 1/5th scale car are much less common than a brushless. Mostly used for rock crawlers I think. So you won't have anywhere near the high speeds the Tero can usually do.

9. Andreas Riem

Andreas Riem Member

We do like our Tero much more since we've updated to the Hobbywing ESC. Most importend improvment is, that this one is dust- and waterproofed. Not sure what kind of leading thougth it was from Castle to create a unsealed ESC for this kind of "Toy" - but it was not the best idea...