/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll Flip to high-mode on the top handle?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Graham Futerfas, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi, one feature I've loved about my M15 is the ability to flip the Movi over and go to high-mode. Of course, this puts the camera upside down, but it's easy enough to flip the image in post, and once you flip the whole rig over, your image still appears correct on your monitor on the gimbal, because it's upside down too.

With the new Roll-Flip feature on the Pro, is it still possible to go to top-mount by flipping the gimbal over? Would the flip-over procedure be the same?

Here's a Freefly video of what I'm talking about:

Thanks!

2. Graham Futerfas

Thanks Chris. Hope you're doing well. Can it do this while staying attached to the handlebar, in order to gain height? I do this on my M15 for easier eye-level shots, but I see that the Roll Flip is different on the Pro.

3. All you do is simply power on the MoVI in the position you want to use it in.

4. Graham Futerfas

OK, thanks. I probably need to shoot a video to show you why I'm asking.

I use a Ready Rig vest to support the weight, which means I flip the M15 over differently than in the video I linked above. I have a camera prep later today, and can shoot a video of how I do it, which is why I ask.

I flip the M15 over basically as if the camera were doing a backflip. The lens starts out facing toward my body, and then I backflip it over into top-mount, so that the camera is then upside down and facing away from me. This allows me to first clip it into the Ready Rig and then do the flip.

If I have to flip the Pro over by rolling it to the side instead of a backflip, I can't connect it to the vest (without some awkward help from someone).

5. Graham,

Don't confuse the situation by referencing the video you embedded above.. I understand exactly what you are doing. The M15 and MoVI pro do not rotate on the roll axis the same way. Since the cables are hidden within the MoVI Pro, roll axis doesn't have the restriction the M15 did. All you simply do, is rotate the roll axis as seen on the website link I provided in my previous response.

Here it is again.
    http://freeflysystems.com/movi-pro/versatile

6. Graham Futerfas

OK thanks. Your link is confusing to me because it shows the Movi turned off (or paused motors) and removed from the Toad, flipped, and reattached to to another toad. While it's an awesome and convenient feature for switching to different mounts without having the camera upside down, that's probably not going to work in the application I'm describing, where I want to be handheld with more height.

The direction I have to roll the gimbal is different than in that link, because I want to attach it to a support vest first. I can't flip it left-to-right once it's clipped in, only front-to-back. Also, I can't dock the Movi in Top Mount because the weight naturally wants to flip back over, so it has to start out in underslung and then be flipped when I pick up the gimbal.

Here's another way to ask it: What happens on the Movi Pro when you leave the motors engaged and basically keep tilting up until you've turned the Toad upside down and then hold it there? Does the camera then remain upside down? Still operable? Do the internal cables\Roper Flipper get in the way, or does it try to right itself?

I appreciate your taking the time to reply! Thanks Chris.

7. If you could please email me at support@freeflysystems.com, It would be much easier, and it would keep this thread from turning into a mile long discussion, that may confused everyone else. Thanks,
    Chris

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  8. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

I have this question as well. A resulting how-to video, or posting the answer on the FAQ document (I will repose the question there), would be really appreciated!

Samer Aslan likes this.
  9. nothing movi

nothing movi Member

So just to confirm the Movi pro can't tilt past 90 degrees up when inverted mode in majestic?

10. Graham Futerfas

Hi Yuri, there does appear to be a tilt limit to the Movi Pro that is different than the M15. I ran into that issue on a remote-head shot that was trying to look straight up (and go past 90-degrees) while the TITH was rigged on the bottom of the Movi. Also, when rigged to look straight down, you can't get the camera to look 'upside down' because you can't tilt past 90.

That said, Chris had pointed out that if I wanted to shoot with the handlebars underneath the Movi, for higher-angled shots, I could just Pause the motors, do the flip and keep the camera upright, then re-engage the motors once I had the handles underneath. Difficult to do on your own, but possible if someone assists you, and the Ready Rig vest factors into that maneuver too, making it a little easier.

11. nothing movi

nothing movi Member

Would that allow you to tilt up above the horizon / 90 degrees?

12. Graham Futerfas

Maybe I don't understand what you're asking. Wouldn't you then be shooting the batteries and the TITH if you tilt up past 90?

13. nothing movi

nothing movi Member

Being able to tilt up. While shooting inverted

14. Graham Futerfas

Like I said, it seems there is a 90-degree limit, at least in Remote mode. Not sure about Majestic, but I couldn't do an inversion with the Pro like I could the M15. It's a completely different situation.

15. nothing movi

nothing movi Member

Looks like there's no reason to buy the new Movi pro. Going to keep my m15 :)

16. Graham Futerfas

The Movi Pro is awesome for so many reasons, but to each their own. I would miss it terribly if I went back to the M15.

17. nothing movi

nothing movi Member

You know what I think I was wrong. Instead of flipping I tried rolling to flip and it seems to work. Wonderful!!

18. There seems to be some confusion here. As I mentioned before, the M15 and MoVI pro should not be directly compared, as they are completely separate units, in respect to how the roll axis moves. As you all know, the roll beam on the M15 cannot be rotated past a certain degree, due to the routing of the wiring harnesses, that are attached to the Roll beam, and roll arms.

Since the wiring harnesses are routed internally on the MoVI Pro, the Roll beam is able to be moved in a way that is completely different than the M15. This is part of the reason you have physical stops(bumpers) on the MoVI Pro, and not the M15.

To use the MoVI Pro inverted, you don't do the procedure seen in the video above for the M15, all you simply do is rotate the roll axis ONLY.

The reason one may not be able to have the tilt axis tilt 90 degrees, and one would be able to when the unit is NOT inverted, is most likely due to the fact, that the entire MoVI Pro has been inverted, instead of just simply rotating the roll axis. Please see attached animation image.

invert_anime.gif

nothing movi and Graham Futerfas like this.