/dist/images/branding/favicon

Switching handheld to aerial

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Dylan Glockler, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Dylan Glockler

I have an Alta 6 and MOVI m5 currently. Thinking about upgrading to the MOVI PRO and wondering about the switch from handheld to aerial and vice-versa using the PRO.

It takes a little doing with the Alta and m5 - swapping to the long yaw post, mounting the legs, finding a way to suspend the Alta to run a proper balance calibration (which can be difficult in the field). Is it about the same with the PRO? I've been looking closely at the photos but it's tough to tell how it's setup and there are no pictures of the PRO landing gear - in fact, I don't even see gear sold separately in the store.. obviously I'd want the PRO handheld kit AND landing gear.... would that combination be that unusual that it isn't offered?

2. Mike Gentilini Jr.

The MoVI Pro in my opinion is well worth the upgrade. So many advantages over the last generation gimbals (M5, M10 & M15). I'm putting my other gimbals on the market. :)

The process out in the field is almost the same, just faster and easier. :) The landing gear goes on without a hitch... there are three legs that connect and tighten via a thumb screw (1x per leg). It takes me about 8 seconds to put the legs on. No joke. No screws to worry about. Huge benefit!

When auto tuning, it takes 10 seconds as advertised. Beats the 90 seconds of eternity on the older gimbals!

The ease of tuning... you can activate this via the app (bluetooth, iOS and Android), the Mimic or Mov Controller... take your pick. So it's pretty easy if the pilot and gimbal op hold the Alta by the booms during the 10 second auto tune process when out in the field. Simple.

Batteries. The ease and stream line of the hot swappable batteries... best thing since sliced white bread, especially for the cinema cameras like Red or Alexa. We can go all day with 3 sets of battery. Red runs for about 50 minutes, and it takes about 45-50 minutes to recharge a set of batteries. With 3 sets of batteries, we never bottleneck.

FIZ. Having integrated FIZ... Focus, Iris, Zoom, best feature of the MoVI Pro. No more need for the Wedge.

The only down fall with the MoVI Pro and Alta 6 is the weight. Not sure what you fly, but a stripped down Red Weapon (no FIZ) weighs 14.3 lbs with a Rokinon prime. Very close to the 15 lbs. payload limit. Our Red Weapon with two channel FIZ, weighs 15.3 lbs. Still flies on the Alta 6 if we had to, but best flown on our Alta 8. A GH4 with battery grip weighs 11.2 lbs. **Includes MoVI Pro, Connex Standard and 1x Pop-N-Lock.

You can purchase the MoVI Pro Ground bundle and buy the landing gear here.

You can check out our website for more videos and tips and tricks on Freefly gear. We'll be posting more on our MoVI Pro rigs in the near future. http://www.vidmuze.com.

Matt Beardsley likes this.
  3. Robbert van Weelderen

I also would highly recommend upgrading to the MOVI Pro. In general (although I always left the longer yaw post on the M5 when using it handheld) it is much quicker to change setup from handheld to aerial.

4. Dylan Glockler

Thanks for the reply guys - especially Mike - very helpful. Right now I'm flying with the Alta 6 and MOVI m5 carrying a Sony a7s ii and Amimon Connex and have a RedRock FF. I'm pretty sold on the MOVI PRO, the MOVI Controller is also on the radar. I'd love to be able to hoist a RED when/if I need to. At the moment I'm using it primarily for personal projects and haven't hired out the aerial kit, though I do some hired MOVI work.

Mike Gentilini Jr. likes this.
  5. Matt Beardsley

I'm in a similar boat, Alta 6 and just switched from an M5 to the Movi Pro. Super happy with it so far. First aerial gig coming up in two weeks. I'm looking forward to that!

6. Dylan Glockler

Matt, what camera and other gear are you flying if I might ask? Looks like the PRO is about an extra pound, not including the additional battery weight, which I didn't look through, but I'm sure is quite a bit heavier. Be curious to hear how your aerials go.

7. Matt Beardsley

Yeah, good question. I'm flying a Red Raven on it, with the base i/o v-mount and ef glass. With a 24mm pancake lens, video transmitter, and RT Motion Latitude receiver, it's under 14 lbs. I'm hoping to test the 14mm f2.8 airborne as well (haven't weighed that yet!) I'm on another production this week, looking forward to a test shoot with the Alta next week – will share my experiences here.

I'm guessing RT Motion and Freefly eventually connect, allowing the MK3.1 controller I use to tie into the new MIMIC, eliminating a little more airborne weight. I'm not sure about balance and battery life, but the Movi Pro seems to run OK with a single battery mounted as well. Anyone else trying that?