/dist/images/branding/favicon

Metal dovetails for pop'n'locks

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Mike Sutton, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

Updated: These will be ready in about a week from Kessler Crane. They will be Red Anodized. Been testing these metal dovetails from Kessler Crane that replace the stock plastic ones that come with pop'n'Locks. They do not wobble, they do not flex and they are solid. Holds much more weight than the plastic ones. Available very very soon.

Attached Files:

#1 Mike Sutton, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I'm interested. Mike, do you work with Kessler? You seem very knowledgeable and stoked about their products.

I use the Pop-N-Lock's for my Tomahawk and Bartech, but they are very loose. The Tomahawk wiggles like a loose tooth on a 6 year old.

The plate those dovetails attach to could use a bit of a design adjustment. I'd like to be able to turn the dovetail 90-degrees, because the way it is now, it sticks out past the side of my Tomahawk, taking up extra space.

I know, Velcro straps are an option, but the Tomahawk is a $4000 transmitter that I don't want falling off and hitting the ground. (I suppose the power and BNC cables will catch it ;))

3. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

4. Joshua Coté

Joshua Coté Member

So glad these exist

Mike Sutton likes this.
  5. Chris Ray

Chris Ray New Member

What are the benefits to using these? Thanks

6. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

They are metal instead of the stock plastic. Allows for heavier payload and peice of mind when using popnlocks with wireless recievers, battery mounts etc. They do not flex and have a solid fixing point.

7. Cam Batten

Cam Batten Member

I'd be keen on a few of these too

8. Justin Scott Brown

Justin Scott Brown New Member

Are these available yet?

9. Sébastien

Sébastien New Member

Hi can we use with any camera like a reflex for example ?

10. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

Updated. Avail in about a week or less on Kessler Crane website. Will come in Anodized Red

11. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

12. Josh Taber

Josh Taber New Member

The pop-n-lock 30mm I purchased from Freefly is very loose and wobbles all over. I thought the new metal dovetails from Kessler would fix this problem, but I was wrong. Still has the same issue. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I got a bad unit from Freefly. Certainly, they didn't design it this way, right? I noticed Graham had this issue. Others? What did you do to fix it? I've purchased small quick release plates on Amazon for a fraction of this price ($100).

13. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

What amazon plates? and how do they do?

I am thinking about how to mount my core vmount plate to the mimic handlebars, and was about to rig something up using a single 25 pop and lock and metal dovetail. . . .sounds like this may not be a stable setup. i know freefly has a plate, but id rather not spend that since i already have the core plate

I just need something 1/4 in threaded or smaller. i think pop plate has 1/4 and 1/16.

#13 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
  14. Josh Taber

Josh Taber New Member

I should first note that Freefly has contacted me back and said they have modified the parts for improvement and that when they get them in they will send one to me to try out. Without saying it, it kinda sounded like they were aware of the issue.

Here are some other ideas. I'm assuming those bars are 25mm not 30mm. I personally wouldn't use the pop-n-locks for that type of use. I would actually use this if I didn't need it to slip on and of quickly but wanted something solid. https://www.amazon.com/GyroVu-V-Mount-battery-plate-Ronin/dp/B01HN7XKCM Since you already have the plate you might be able to use these: https://www.gyrovu.com/product-page/single-clamp-dual-plate-for-dji-ronin-m

Other options:
    Smallrig 25mm clamp is a rock but heavier than others.
    For $25 this one's pretty good from GyroVu but you'd need a way to attach it.
    This quick release is solid but you'd need a way to attach it.

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  15. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

ETA on Freefly plate? Are you a distributor?

16. Josh Taber

Josh Taber New Member

I am not a distributor nor have I heard a timeline from Freefly.

17. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

I've been using these dovetails and they are great. Takes away the wobble from a monitor which is great

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  18. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

This is what i came up with. 100 dollars vs 200-400, came in really light also. It fits in my case after some foam cutting, no need to take on and off.

Thanks for your help Josh! Excited to see freeflys new pop and locks, maybe ill get some dovetails as a test till that happens.

Attached Files:

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  19. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Nice, Sebastian. Is that the lid from a tin can that you drilled out?

I was just going to suggest Bongo Ties. :p

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  20. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Can lid indeed. whatever works. . . . right? :rolleyes:.

I promise you I spent at least three hours before starting all this, thinking of ways to make bongo ties work lol.

I also found a reason to order the metal dovetails (cracked plastic one trying to tighten) and use the hopefully soon-replaced Pop-n-lok...

QR mimic bar mount for a light stand. popnlok stand.jpg popnlok with mimic.jpg

I wish freefly would sell the 13mm plug brackets and i would do that instead to save weight. Maybe I can email them and ask for one. Tho i can confirm all my pop-n-loks have wiggle with this weight, ill let yall know how the metal ones differ when they arrive.