/dist/images/branding/favicon

Is Bush Pilot for everyone?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Josh Park, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Josh Park

Josh Park Member

I've placed an order for Bush Pilot and can't wait to mess with it, however I can't shake the feeling that it's not designed for everyone.

A few thoughts.

1. The cost -
    Focus Wheel Unit - $280
    Motor Cable - $200 (let's say you want two, so $400)
    One motor - $700 (the cheapest one in the market is Redrock Micro motor)
    The grand total is $1380, given that you already have Mimic Pro.
    Just a shy $600 cheaper than DJI Focus, but this will only work on Movi, nothing else.

2. The software
    It's in it's very early stages of developing, possibility to bugs and errors.
    Only focus marks is just 0-100% scale on the display, no way to put distance marking on the ring, no lens mapping on display.
    Which means, you rely on monitor to pull 100%, your AC will hate it or be okay with it. Better hope for low latency.

I think Bush Pilot is great for lower end shoots or even on-the-fly shoots like a documentary or web based contents that don't really have $150/day to rent a follow focus. Even as a Movi owner, you can probably rent it out to productions for comfortably around additional $50/day or something. I don't see that this will replace any current existing follow focuses, nor you can recommend it on bigger jobs.

Has anyone placed an order yet? What are your thoughts?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I bought one, and it just shipped on Friday. I already own a Bartech focus system with MDR and Heden motor, so it wasn't a big investment to add the Bush Pilot. Like you, I'm uncertain what use I'll get out of it, but I'm open to working with it.

It won't be the primary focus controller in my kit. I might be able to use it for Iris adjustments, and I'm hoping to find a way to mount it to the ring for the rare, small shoot where I'd do my own focus, but maybe that won't work out. On a small, out in the field shoot, away from carts and studio equipment, it could be tempting to use for focus, or maybe cramped in the back of a car or helicopter.

Also, I don't think it will work with Canon lenses that don't have hard stops. Maybe that can be fixed with a firmware update.

I like the idea of mounting it to the Alpha Wheels, or giving the Dual Operator a Mimic-and-Iris-control all-in-one unit. When I'm working as a Movi Operator for another DP, I find they want quick control of the Iris, and they're typically operating from a decent OLED monitor, so they can more precisely see their exposure.

The Freefly Store claims 'It will be our most compact, and affordable F/I/Z input control option', and I think I remember Tabb saying something along those lines in the Facebook Live video. That seems to imply a larger, and more expensive option is coming -- maybe something more professional?

I would expect it would take more time to develop a truly Pro focus product, and personally I'm super impressed that this Bush Pilot thing was developed and mass produced in the space of 4 months.

Samer Aslan likes this.
  3. Bayena Sosa

Bayena Sosa New Member

The main disadvantage of Bush Pilot is that you can't use the mimic for operate and pull focus at the same time.
    I'm waiting (for ever) for Redrock Micro Eclipse system :mad:

4. Samer Aslan

Samer Aslan New Member

Me Too! I've already ordered (and paid!) one and i've been informed by the seller that they said they will announce and ship everything on NAB 2017...let's hope it's true:(

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I just got Bush Pilot and set it up, and you can use it as a Mimic Pan\Tilt\Roll controller at the same time as focus. Both functions work simultaneously.

EDIT: Maybe I misunderstood what you're commenting on. If you want to see it in single-operator\focus mode, please read my other thread I just created about Bush Pilot.

#5 Graham Futerfas, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Bayena Sosa

Bayena Sosa New Member

I know it's possible control both things simultaneously, but what happen if, as a second operator, I need to track a subject with Pan/Tilt/Roll and pull focus at the same time? I think is too much to do for a single person.