/dist/images/branding/favicon

Fingerwheel focus

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by nick midwig, Feb 11, 2017.

1. nick midwig

nick midwig New Member

Anyone set up a fingerwheel focus rig for the movipro yet? Thanks!

2. Jake Wilganowski

Yes. Rt motion and lattitude

3. Ivan Robles Mendoza

Ivan Robles Mendoza New Member

I bought the pdmovie, it is silent and the best: it is a vertical circle and not a horizontal circle. Thats nice because you could go through your whole focus ring with one move and it does not depend any more on how long your finger is. Very wide resolution so you could be super acurate

4. Davy Werrij

Davy Werrij New Member

Which one is it from PD Movie? Do you know if there is any video material online showcasing the product?

5. Ivan Robles Mendoza

Ivan Robles Mendoza New Member

6. Samer Aslan

Samer Aslan New Member

I bought the Atlas direct control kit,but i'm thinking of getting me the Pd Movie so I can have one for the iris and the other one for the focus!
    I'm also doing that because I have no idea when the Atlas will arrive! could be next week or at the end of marcho_O

7. Mike Sutton

Mike Sutton Member

I have my Redrock thumbwheel on the ring and it fits 30mm tube no problem

8. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

anyone know if redrock eclipse navigator will work? is that an alternative? anyone care or know when its coming out?

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

got my own answer from Alejandro at RedRock

2:36 pm "Glad to hear that you are interested in our Eclipse line of products. The current estimated time frame is the first quarter of this year."

-Meaning October. .

10. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

u mean the atlas i was just informed would not be here till october? huh

11. Samer Aslan

Samer Aslan New Member

Hi Sebastian, just saw your post here! last time I asked my dealer he said that they don't have specific date but they're getting really close!! October doesn't seems so close:mad:I have to contact them again tomorrow...
    Thank you for the update,and by the way i just got the PD Movie and i'm testing it tomorrow,we'll see. looks good though..

12. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Please let us know what you think of the PD Movie, Samer.

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT likes this.
  13. Samer Aslan

Samer Aslan New Member

Hi Graham,I used the PD Movie the other day and it's not bad at all! let's say that for the price it's great! No manuals that I can find or links to pdf but it's quite simple to use,after a few tentative here and there i understood how it works and for even more understanding i've contacted the manufacturer for better understanding and for the manual and they sent me a pdf with 2/3 instructions and that didn't add much on what i already knew about it! Here you can download the manual if someone is interested. The motor adds some little unperceivable vibrations on the Movi when you use it but i have to test that more. All in all for the price it's worth it for sure,I've paid €670,00 for it which is not much for what it does!
    I've attached some pictures of it. I used the Sony PZ 18-110 and attached the zoom controller plus rec button which is a nice addition to have on the FS7/Movi,there's a picture of that also...
    Regards

Attached Files:

14. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, Samer!

15. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

very informative, seems like a winner for solo op until redrock gets going with navigator. . . . let us know if the vibrations end up being "perceivable". Thanks samer

16. Danie kelly Brown

Danie kelly Brown New Member

I am sure PD Movie is awesome, but I opted for the RT-motion setup.

Few main reasons why RT-motion gets my vote.

1) Unplug the thumbwheel and it will automatically swap to the MK3.1 controller for second opp focus
    2) Can plug in a second thumbwheel for iris control.
    3) RT-motion blasts out a super powerful wifi signal that allows one to use fool control at long distances.
    4) Works incredibly well at controlling focus internally on canon AF lenses or with one of their motors.
    5) Hook one RT-motion to the camera and one to your second opp controller and you can use the thumbwheels separate from the camera and at very long distances.
    6) Nice fat record trigger on the thumbwheel.
    7) If distance of second opp is in issue, RT MK3.1 can work from very long distances.
    8) Lastly - Plans for RTmotion to be incorporated into MoviPro- http://www.rtmotion.com/press/pressreleases/6192476717056000

I suppose one pays almost 3 times the price of the PD Movie however...

#16 Danie kelly Brown, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Rob Ruscher likes this.
  17. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

I recently used this setup and loved it however if I pulled to infinity the motor was so powerful that it it knocked it off the lens. Not sure if you had this issue. Tried to crank everything down the best I could but would often have those issues. Luckily I rarely need to pull my own focus but it's a great option when needed.

18. Danie kelly Brown

Danie kelly Brown New Member

I have not had this problem, but have only had the system for a few months and been using the internal motors more often then not. I think what your describing relates to a problem I was having with my left rt thumbwheel. It had a bit of kickback, when I went to infinity for setting aperture it would drift a 1/2 stop from wide open. I had to readjust the set screw on the thumbwheel and it was good to go. This sounds like it may have been the same sort of problem you were experiencing when your thumbwheel was plugged into focus with the rt motor.