/dist/images/branding/favicon

radian usb to computer connection problem

Discussion in 'Radian' started by tarek, Jan 2, 2013.

1. tarek

tarek New Member

my computer witch is windows 7 wont connect to the radian and i cant figure it out ,any thoughts on the problem or anyone else having the same problem?

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Tarek:

Firstly if it's not too much trouble, would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/

Secondly, as far as your problem is concerned, can you go into the Device Manager and verify that you see a section marked "COM & LPT" -- and under that, can you verify that you have a "USB Serial Device" showing?

That's what you should see before the Radian USB adapter will work. Let me know if you do see that and we'll try and figure out what next to do.

Thanks
    Andy

3. olli collins

olli collins New Member

i'm still also stuck here, I have installed new version of windows 8 i've installed driver for usb serial adapter, in the device manager i have Ports (Com & LPT) and in there i have USB Serial Port (Com 3) i've tried everything but can't find how to change it to Port 10? Please help :(

4. olli collins

olli collins New Member

ok managed to get Com port 10 but still just doesn't connect. if i have radian soft ware open the unplug usb the plug in again i get this message. ERROR WRITING TO COMMS PORT: APPLICATION-DEFINED OR OBJECT-DEFINED ERROR. PLEASE RESELECT COMMS PORT

Why is this so complicated it seems so many people have this problem with the usb not communicating with comms, i'm a mac guy so it bad enough having to buy a pc just to program my multirotor but then you need to be a computer genius to use the dongle! surely there's a way to just put micro usb in each radian like my FC does.

5. John Cunningham

Olli,

Make sure the Radian software is not running.

Go to 'Control Panel' then 'Device manager'
    Open up 'Ports (COM and LPT)
    Right-click the USB serial COM port and then click 'Properties'
    Now go to 'Port Settings' Tab and click 'Advanced'
    On the window which appears, select COM10 in the drop-down menu
    Then click OK to apply it. Even if it says Port 10 is 'in use', try it anyway.

Now run the Radian software again and it should start with no errors.

6. olli collins

olli collins New Member

Hi John

thanks for your help.

Yes i've done all of this and it still doesn't work radian software still doesn't connect to any of my radians.

7. John Cunningham

Olli,

Just to double check: you have the Radian powered by some external source (like an RC battery), the 6-pin cable from the USB adapter plugged into the right-hand side pins of ports 6+7 right ?.

Then when you click 'connect' on the PC software, the servo drive indicator bar does not turn green ?.

8. olli collins

olli collins New Member

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Olli:
    Sorry to come to this late, but it looks like the PC side and the adapter are responding OK. I noticed that, when you click on connect, you see activity on the USB adapter board LEDs and that would not be happening if there wasn't a datapath through to the adapter board.

It also appears that you have the servo connection on the adapter board correctly installed and the wiring to the first Radian sensor is correct.

JohnC: could this be a baud rate issue?

Andy

10. olli collins

olli collins New Member

Whats a Baud Rate issuse ? :confused:

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

A baud is defined as one bit per second. You can have two things connected together correctly, but if the sender is not "speaking" at the correct number of bits per second (in this case, I suspect 57,600 bits per second), then the recipient will just detect gibberish.

So, it's just one more thing that can explain why, when you nail two computer systems together, why they might not be able to connect.

Sorry for the geek speak..... :)

Andy.

12. olli collins

olli collins New Member

is this some thing i can fix? in my port settings i have BIT PER SECOND option it is currently default set to 9600
    Data bit : 8
    Parity : None
    Stop bit: 1
    Flow control None

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's actually what I was asking, albeit somewhat obliquely, JohnC to confirm. I don't actually know what baud rate the Radian software uses to communicate with the Radian sensors.

Andy.

14. John Cunningham

The baud rate is set automatically - there's no need to change anything.

The strange thing is that the yellow LED on the USB adapter should light when it is connected to the Radian. If it does not light when connected to any of the Radians, it looks like it is the problem.

The only other thing you could try is going into bootloader mode and (using the bootloader PC app), click 'Connect To Target' and see if you get the module data back. If not, I think the USB adapter is faulty.

15. olli collins

olli collins New Member

tried bootloader mode that is the same no connection.. I've ordered a new usb adapter. so will see how that goes. thanks for your help

16. John Cunningham

Sorry you had to be the unlucky one Olli. The USB adapters are normally very reliable. They use the FTI chipset which is more expensive than the others, but is by far the most reliable I have used.

We use this instead of USB because the difficult part is writing the drivers at the PC side - and FTI do all of this for us - as well as supporting any new versions of windows which appear ;-).

17. olli collins

olli collins New Member

I can't wait for the day i just blu tooth it to my iphone :)

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hey guys....c'mon.....the good thing about standards in the computer business (and the video business) is that we have so many to choose from! <evil grin>

Andy.