/dist/images/branding/favicon

Movi Pro power issue

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Aleutian Calabay, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Aleutian Calabay

Aleutian Calabay New Member

On set with the Movi Pro. Had an issue where as soon as we rolled the Alexa Mini, I lost power to accessories powered by dtap on the GCU (Small HD/Teradek 300). Recycling power fixed it, but anybody else have this issue?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Are you using the original firmware, or the Beta Firmware?

3. Aleutian Calabay

Aleutian Calabay New Member

Beta firmware, I figured that was probably where the problem was.

4. Graham Futerfas

Actually, I was wondering because the Beta firmware addressed a power issue and was supposed to provide a little more flexibility, but the GCU DTap seems like it can't deliver quite as much power as the TSU DTap. For instance, with Beta firmware, I can power my Bartech focus receiver off the TSU but not the GCU.

5. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

I have built a small breakout box, with four 2 pin lemo connectors on it that attaches to the camera top plate. We use this to power the Terradek Bolt and RT Motion FIZ (with two motors) from the camera stage accessory DTAP, and the Alexa Mini from the 12-14.8V Camera Dtap .... it has been rock solid for us. I'll post some pictures of the breakout in the morning.

When the camera comes off the MoVI Pro this also powers a Small HD 502. Another little trick that works for us it to feed power into it from the LBUS port, if you are not using the WCU4 ;)

Laurent Poulain and Cam Batten like this.
  6. Pedro Núñez

Pedro Núñez New Member

Hi.
    There is a electrical power limitation for the Movi Pro.
    The port to feed the camera (CAM Port 12-14V) can delivers up to 6 amps and the AUX Port can delivers up to 2 Amps.
    In some cases and depending on your configuration (Camera, FIZ control, Wireless video, Monitor...) the sum of both output ports reaches the maximum 8 amps limit and the Movi turns off for self protection.
    I think the new firmware has smoothed it already to avoid the "peaks"

7. Rob Curschman

Rob Curschman New Member

It seems a cross reference chart of Amp draw and weights for various cameras, monitors, TX, etc would be handy. If anyone see's one please forward.Thanks

8. Michael Izquierdo

Michael Izquierdo New Member

I'm plugging my conex hd in to the back part of the movi near the control and buttons, a focus and camera into dtaps on the. movi, and the connex wouldn't hold power. I could see it turn on and off struggling. I had to power it with a LIPO to work around it. but I am little bothered it doesn't work...

9. Graham Futerfas

Hi Michael, have you tried updating the Frimware to 1.1 or 1.2? That *might* fix your issue, since it addresses an issue with the self-resetting fuses, but there are limitations to how much D-Tap power the Movi can provide.

10. Michael Izquierdo

Michael Izquierdo New Member

Hey Graham, I am on 1.1... how do you update to 1.2 ? my app says I'm up to date?

11. LeoBund

LeoBund New Member

Thanks for all the feed back... again amazed that for the price its having power issues... Why can't it just work! If a steadicam could'nt power all the acessories and cameras it simply would'nt be released for sale to the masses....

Michael Izquierdo likes this.
  12. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Not sure why they limited the amp draw to 1x 6amp and 2x 2amp, should have just had 10amp max per output? Movi Pro should be able to power what ever you throw at it since its running 6S. But what ever... just strap another battery to it to add more weight :(

Shame cuz the Movi Pro is so close to being perfect, its like 90% there, maybe the MPro+ :)

#12 Jason Toth, Apr 12, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    Benjamin Granet likes this.
  13. Dominick Russo

Dominick Russo New Member

I to have been struggling with some power issues and just updated to the new firmware. You have to go here: http://movi-pro.herokuapp.com/ to get access to the new app with the beta software. I was getting an error message personally and needed to get support to manually add me in but he said it was an unusual case so you should be fine.

14. Pedro Núñez

Pedro Núñez New Member

Hello! Did you notice other changes on the Beta version? Thx

15. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Yeah there is no write button on latest beta so setting don't stick.

Attached Files:

16. That is incorrect. The reason there is no longer a 'Write' option visible on the app screen, is because the app automatically saves and 'writes' any app values that have been changed, immediately after that specific change has been made. You still have the option of 'Saving' (Not Writing) a preset config, that can be saved on the device and loaded later.

As per the firmware releases notes that have been available on the Freefly website...

New Feature: Configurations are now auto-saved (read/write buttons removed as well). Note: MōVI needs to be turned off via power button. Settings won’t be saved if batteries are removed.

17. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Yeah but unfortunately its doesn't always auto write....

Example: we change the heading setting to GPS to try it but noticed it was glitching (pan jerked at times during a shot, even in an open field with GPS), so we changed back to none but the auto write never took. Re-did it like a dozen times but every-time we rebooted the GPS heading would be switched on again. Even tried making a new profile with GPS off but didn't take, so we reverted back to non beta software and all has been good

Its expected for beta software but for future builds... PLEASE KEEP the write button/option, having auto anything on a production is not good, let the user make this decision or at least something to confirm the setting has written and saved :)