/dist/images/branding/favicon

Toad in the hole connecter not in the center

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Ulrich Thomsen, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Ulrich Thomsen

Ulrich Thomsen New Member

Hi,

My rig came assembled. Toad in hole connector is not straight in the middel of the top bar of the ring. Does anyone know if it affects the balancing? I have problems with the pan. I'd say it wouldn't, as long as the top bar is straight, but than again. Very little things affect the balancing. The screw in the toad in hole pin is so tight I can't loosen it -- with the tools I have, anyhow. Also the screws for the handle seems only for the handle. I'm trying to push to the side.

Anyone?

Best, Ulrich

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ulrich: Can you post an image? Sometimes screws are no so much mechanically tight as the Loctite (threadlocker) ends up being a bit too aggressive. If there is no plastic nearby (carbon fiber is ok), you can carefully apply the clean tip of a soldering iron to the top of the machine screw and leave it on there for about 30 seconds. The resulting expansion and subsequent contraction (as it cools down) will serve to break the Loctite seal -- but I would check with FF tech support (support@freeflysystems.com) before you try this "trick."

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

The Toad Position on the top of the Ring is not intended to move. At all.

That's the point, actually, because if it were just clamping on there with tension from bolts, it could potentially loosen and then as you tilted a heavy camera up, the Toad would rotate around the tube and you wouldn't be tilting at all. With the Classic Handle, this was one problem, where you'd tilt up and the the whole Toad and everything would slide around the tube because of gravity.

I'm not sure if it's glued or physically locked to the Ring, but you probably shouldn't try to move it.

It's a little hard to measure, but if you hold a ruler underneath the top of the ring, I get 10" side to side, and the Toad is exactly at 5" in the center. Does yours not appear to be centered?

IMG_1193.jpg

4. Ulrich Thomsen

well then I wont try and move it :)

It's just when I swing the gimbal to one side, the back hits the ring. When I swing it to the other side it just passes. So I thought the toad position wasn't centred. Could be that would mess with the Pan balancing -- which I kind of think it wouldn't. It' just that I have this Pan balancing issue, that bugs me primarily for technical reasons, as I read in the thread you sent me yesterday it wasn't such a big deal.

Talking about that. Using your method to pan balance, where you lean it, gives me a slight different pan balance setting than if I tilt it as per the manual. Also when I swing it to the left side (facing the lens) and lean, it's fine and balanced -- until I move the gimbal to past the 90° point, (going by the two sides of the ring equals a 180° line) then it swings to the side as if it's front heavy ... odd

5. Ulrich Thomsen

A
    Andy . was just told it's not supposed to me moved . will need to talk to tech support first, to be sure.

6. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I need to re-shoot that video. ;) I've had several people tell me it's helped them, but I shot it with my web-cam on my laptop and I had the feet on backwards at the time. I think I can do better.

I usually balance the Movi on a home-made dock, actually. I'll post a photo below. That keeps the Toad pointing straight down instead of backward at an angle (due to the 'Lean' of the Ring when it sits on its feet).

You can build a cheap dock out of garage hooks and a Gobo head from a C-stand. Or you can get the Freefly dock. I think Cinemilled is coming out with a dock soon, too, and they make a Pan counterweight that may or may not help you.

As for it hitting the sides of the Ring, I think the Ring is a good tool, but it's not always the best tool for every shot, especially Dual-Op shots. I have a Classic Handle, I have extension handles from Walter Klassen, I have a longer Top Bar, I can do briefcase mode with the Classic Handle and the Top Handle... The longer you work with the Movi, you'll find that there may be a different configuration that can help you achieve the shot you want. That's the genius of this system, actually. If the sides of the Ring are getting in the way of the shot, it may need a different solution.

Attached Files:

7. Ulrich Thomsen

Thanks for the info Graham, but I do have a similar home dock. I have the M15 too that didn't come with a dock, like the M5 did. (dont't have it with me though. It's in Europe. I'm in LA right now.) also have a handle from the M5

Hitting the ring was not for a shot. It was for the pan balance problem. I noticed it hit one side of the ring and not the other -- hence "the toad in the hole" would not be centred. Or something else is "funny"...
    Dont really think it'll impact the balancing though, but you never know. It's a fine piece of mechanics.

8. Ulrich Thomsen

is yours off like this, I wonder? See how on one side I can barely fit a finger. The other side I can almost fit two. Would that affect that pan balancing problem?

IMG_4624.JPG IMG_4625.JPG