/dist/images/branding/favicon

Strange pausing in remote panning

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Dale McCready, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Hi all,

I've got my Mimic and Alpha Wheels/Movi Controller setup and no matter how well I balance I seem to have some issues with the pan motor. As I do a steady pan (movi Ring sitting on the ground) I get pauses and buzzing from the pan motor like a slipping. Sometimes is also pauses then catches up again so it's quite un-usable at the moment.

I tried a couple of different auto tunings and noticed a big difference in the Pan filter settings each time. One of them I would get this buzz happening when the gimbal is sitting still. That's in the second video...

#1 Dale McCready, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Here's a second clip where you can hear this fairly rythmic buzzing that conicides with the pauses on the pan axis.
    Sorry about the vertical video:

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Dale, seems like an odd problem. I don't necessarily have an answer for you, but a few follow up questions:

Is your Movi Controller Receiver plugged into COM 1 or COM 2 on the Movi?

Is the Mimic on or off while you're doing this? Also, is your Toad in the Hole connection to the Ring nice and tight, no wobbles?

4. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

Hi,

Yes Movi Controller is in COM1. Mimic off. Toad very tight.

I did some more testing last night. I thought that using the Joystick with the Alpha Wheels off it might be better but even there, as I make a pan rotation I'll get this rythmic noise and pan pausing, and it tends to be the same rhythm even if I turn more quickly or slowly.

I can't seem to get the noise to go away and I notice also when it pauses it is wanting to turn the Movi Ring on it's feet the opposite way, so instead of a smooth pan there is some counter-torque happening.

I'm at the point where I think I have a faulty MoviPro.

Only thing I can think of, is it that as this is my test-rig, have I got too light a payload on with just my A7S? I can build it up with a cage to see if it makes a difference.

5. Dale McCready

Dale McCready Member

One thing I would say, Freefly should take a look at Gremsy's QR system, it's a double cylinder so there's absolutely no play in it. I'm surprised I've had to re-tighten the Toad clamp as much as I've had to to remove the play in it. This is a part that could be improved.

That said, I'm super impressed by the software tools on the Movi Pro, particularly the iOS app is amazing.

#5 Dale McCready, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  6. Robert MCgregor

Robert MCgregor New Member

Hi Dale, Did you get anywhere with this?

Same issues here but with a Alexa Mini and master primes so def not too light.

Thanks

Rob

7. Robert MCgregor

Robert MCgregor New Member

I have also noticed it works perfectly with my Klassen wheels, however both the MIMIC and the MoVI controller stick intermittently in pan and tilt axis