/dist/images/branding/favicon

Any reason to get a Spectrum or Futaba controller?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Mike Moghaddam, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Mike Moghaddam

Just got my Movi Pro last week and like the PS4 controller with the Mimic. Is there any reason to get a Spectrum or Futaba controller? It seems like the PS4 controller does everything those controllers would do.

Also I am interested in getting wheels eventually. Any input on which to go with? Alpha, Veracity or Walter Klassen, or another I don't know about? I am leaning towards the Veracity wheels.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

I have a Spektrum DX7s that I never use, so can't say I recommend it, but I don't shoot aerial stuff, so that may be a different situation.

I would wait and see on the wheels, if you can. New things will probably be coming soon on that front. I have the Veracity Wheels and a Spektrum slice, and they do work well, but if I were going to buy today I would probably go with the Alpha Wheels.

Currently you need a Movi Controller to interface with them, but the new Mimic gives you a lot of the Movi controls that the original Mimic didn't have, so I don't see the Movi Controller being as useful unless you're doing aerials and want an all-in-one thing. On a film set, you're going to want separate FIZ controls for the AC.

Mike Moghaddam likes this.
  3. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

We use a Futaba but its just because we only really do aerials and we need the range. Gimbal control and start/stop on alexa's and Red from 1km+ away

#3 Ben Platts, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  4. Mike Moghaddam

Thanks for the input. I don't do any aerials and I figured I didn't need one but wanted to make sure there wasn't something I didn't know about.

5. Axel Gimenez

Axel Gimenez New Member

I use Klassen wheels with the Pro and it has a very nice feel - it uses the Futaba radio (the radio comes with the wheels so no need to buy separately). I haven't used the other wheels so I can't compare.

6. Mike Moghaddam

Thanks Axel. I've heard you have to zero out the Veracity wheels. Do you have to do that with the Klassen wheels? Are there any other things you have to do before you use them?

7. Axel Gimenez

Axel Gimenez New Member

No zeroing out (not really sure what that might mean) - they come with a simple laminated sheet that gives you step by step instructions to get all up and running. It was pretty plug and play straight out of the box.

8. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Futaba is our transmitter of choice for the MoVi .... its just the range you have to have to fly.

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

futaba for aerials, ps4/mimic until there are wheels that work with mimic.1a (alpha) told me that it was up to freefly at this point. dunno.