/dist/images/branding/favicon

Gamepad - how to make it work?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Graham Futerfas, Jan 24, 2017.

1. luigi valtulini

luigi valtulini New Member

ciao Graham,
    nothing only see movipro but mimic 1.0.2 firmware nothing.
    But mimic work with movipro with firmware 1.1.

:(

2. luigi valtulini

luigi valtulini New Member

3. Aaron Marquette

Info below applies to beta test versions:
    MōVI Pro Beta Firmware V1.1.5
    MIMIC Beta Firmware V1.1.2
    MōVI Pro Beta App V1.1.13

Hey guys I assume you figured this out by now but here's what worked for me & what didn't:

It seems the MIMIC and PS4 remote must be connected via USB to communicate. Freefly sent a USB micro B – C cable with the Pro (& this cable also 'charges/powers' the Sony A7R from the TSU's USB port). I'm sure this obviously means we cannot charge both devices while they are in use together.

I too am unfamiliar with the PS4 game pad but I know pressing the PS button in the center turns it on. I also found that if left on, it will turn itself off because the MIMIC lets me know. Otherwise I have no idea how to turn off the PS4 remote. Holding down the PS button does not seem to do it.

The Pan & Tilt speeds go into negative values to invert pan/controls but at +/-100% speeds, my DSX8 is much faster than the PS4 controller.

As previously described, the PS4 joysticks smoothly integrate up and down values. In this case that combines pan and tilt in an undesirable way- it's very easy to accidentally adjust tilt while panning. A workaround might be to set one of those values at 0% to isolate the controls.

I have no idea if the MIMIC & PS4 gamepad are sending or pulling power from each other but I'd love to -since we are using both USB charging ports to connect them. Also I have no idea of knowing the PS4 remote charge level. That combined with the inability to accurately isolate pan & tilt inputs makes this purely a toy / DSX8 backup / limited FIZ tool - maybe to allow the DP an iris pull in a pinch. But I can't imagine using it all day on a demanding set. Don't get me wrong, engineers, this is a very cool development and I'm excited to see where it goes!

#23 Aaron Marquette, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  4. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Aaron Marquette likes this.
  5. Julian Robinet

Julian Robinet New Member

Hello together,
    first of all I would like to introduce myself. I have worked for three years now with various gimbals (DJI Ronin M, Ronin, Various Zenmuse and Tilta Gravity) I purchased the Movi Pro recently and am very pleased with the features. I got the Gamepad Controller to work thanks to the help from you guys here.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to change the assigned buttons/direction of the controls on the Gamepad. Would I have the possibility to map the buttons?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Julian

6. Aaron Marquette

Yes read the manual https://goo.gl/kJriRz and you'll see you can reverse pan/tilt by using the arrow pad to adjust speeds into negative values. Also you can cycle the L2/R2 functions between Roll, Focus, Iris & Zoom.

I'm hoping they allow isolation of Pan & Tilt on different joysticks.

7. Julian Robinet

Julian Robinet New Member

Thanks Aaron, that did the trick.

I agree it would be nice to have Pan & Tilt on different Joysticks.

8. Sam Mantini

Sam Mantini New Member

Does anyone know if I can control focus on EF lenses?

9. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Yes... sort of. I've done it.

You can use the Mimic's gesture control for this, or get the Bush Pilot option.

I think we're about to see some new calibration options in the Firmware, since Pilot is coming, but that's the issue right now -- calibrating a lens that doesn't have hard end stops like an EF lens.

The Redrock Micro gear rings I use on my EF lenses have a bolt in them that physically stops the motor from continuously spinning, and that creates the end stops for me on my Canon lenses. It over-shoots the close and infinity marks of the lens, but it makes it possible to use the lenses.

These are the rings I use. Make sure you get the right size for your lens -- they come in 3 or 4 sizes:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ro_3_200_0006_microLensGear_Size_C_Black.html

10. Sam Mantini

Sam Mantini New Member

What I mean is, would I be able to use the controller to focus similarly to how the RT Motion Latitude follow focus works without gears.

http://www.rtmotion.com/latitude

11. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

Yes it works with REDs. Make sure you have the RED-MōVI Pro control cable (not the start stop) and that RED RCP is enabled on your camera. I have used it for iris and focus.

12. Sam Mantini

Sam Mantini New Member

Okay amazing. We were going to buy the Movi Controller but have decided to wait for the Pilot to be released. But in the mean time, we have a few projects where we will be mounting the camera to a car and want to be able to control both the camera and the MOVI Pro.

Thank you for your help.

13. Steven Heller

Steven Heller New Member

Maybe, I'm missing something but how do I make this work? Do I need an older firmware version for my PS4 controller?

14. Graham Futerfas

I think you need the Beta Firmware. There was an issue with the version of the gamepad controller -- there were two versions, an older on e and a newer one, but they look the exact same and I had initially bought the wrong one. I believe Freefly fixed it in a later version of the Firmware so you could use either, but if you're on older firmware, it might not work.

15. Steven Heller

Steven Heller New Member

I think the beta firmware was actually my problem. I was running the beta 1.2. As soon as I rolled back to the 1.1 (which I just did) it works great!

#35 Steven Heller, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  16. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

v1.1 had a hotfix for newer generation gamepads (We didn't realize there were two versions of Dual Shock 4 controllers initially). This fix was missing from the latest v1.2 beta release.

Tomorrow you'll be able to get iOS and Android v1.2.1 stable version from the app stores, which has this fix in it as well.

17. Steven Heller

Steven Heller New Member

Awesome, thanks!

18. Deniz Ozgoren

Staff Member

1.2 is now on the App Stores!

19. Graham Futerfas

Hi Deniz, did Bush Pilot stop working with Beta Version 1.2.5? Mine's not working now. I can calibrate the motor and see it turn the lens to both ends, and I can see the knob having an effect on the Mimic's FIZ screen, but the motor isn't turning with the knob.

20. Graham Futerfas

Actually, Deniz, I realized that I never updated the Mimic when I updated the Movi Pro to 1.2.5, so maybe that killed Bush Pilot. Everything else was working with the Movi and Mimic though.

Now that I'm trying to update the Mimic, I can't get it to take the Update to 1.2 Beta 2. I've tried 10 times in a row, and it keeps getting stuck on "Updating System Loader (Progress 2 of 3)" and then goes to the 'Oh No - Failed to Update' screen. Then I power-cycle the Mimic and try again. I've also tried quitting the app on my phone and re-starting.

Any tips?
    Thanks.