/dist/images/branding/favicon

Unable to control EPIC-W with RCP cable

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Daniel De Silva, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Daniel De Silva

Daniel De Silva New Member

Hi all,

Today we tried to connect the RCP cable to the Movi pro CAM port from the EPIC-W control port. First of all, the cable is at least 2" too short for these latest RED's unless you run a Jetpack perhaps.

We ended up running the camera inverted to get a safe connection to camera's port, just to test the Red Control from Mimic.

Mimic talks to the Movi but nothing for the RED. No metadata, or settings are displayed on the mimic, and there for no functions can be transmitted.

Has anyone tried this? I know it works with dragons, but heliuems?

Regards,

Dan

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Dan, I had to enable it in the RED's menus for the RCP Cable to work. I even made a note of where the setting is:

Menu->Settings->Setup->Communication->Serial-> change to REDLINK Command Protocol

The cable is way too short, but I'm still thinking about adding a JetPack SDI module to my kit. I don't own a RED, but talking with some rental house friends, they seem to be leaning to outfitting their RED's with Tilta's new cage and built-in modules. That could make putting it on the Movi kind of difficult. I was testing with the Base Expander module, and the power cable sticks out and comes close to hitting the back of the gimbal, and at least the JetPack Module would clean this up. Probably still need counterweights if using a medium to heavy lens.

Daniel De Silva likes this.
  3. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

I do believe it says on the order page for that cable that you need the jetpack for it to work with the DSMC2 cameras.

Josh

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  4. Grayson Austin

Grayson Austin New Member

You can buy Movi Pro RCP cables from mediablackout.net and get them in whatever length you want. They have made many many cables of all types and have done great custom work for me. Can't recommend them enough.

Grayson Grant Austin, SOC

5. Daniel De Silva

That's great to know, I can't recall if we got that far in the menu. Was thinking it was not compatible yet on current firmware.
    I think I need to get a 12-15" cable RCP made, along with a longer dtap.

Joshua Coté likes this.
  6. Daniel De Silva

I'll check them out. Thanks for the heads up.

7. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

So I got mine to read all my settings but can't change anything on the camera. Anyone else have this issue? I don't have a red monitor plugged in but not sure that matters

Aaron Marquette likes this.
  8. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Rob,
    Did you have a switchblade attached to the EPIC? I ran into this issue the other day but it was only when I had the Switchblade attached to the side of the EPIC. I haven't tried again since taking it off but it was working before the switchblade was added.

Josh

9. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Ok so clearly writing on this forum fixes problems! Haha Taab did you guys do this!?

Went back to the rig, turned everything on and it works. However I do notice a little delay and it doesn't always work. Is there any talk of adding iris control? Kind of a bummer to not have this when shooting on Canon Ls.

DanDunn likes this.
  10. Joshua Coté

Joshua Coté Member

Yeah I'm having the same problem with the Freefly RCP cable length! I'll have to grab a 14" mediablackout Serial RCP cable as well. Thanks for the tip!

11. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

I just ordered a whole set of cables from Media Blackout yesterday.

Red RCP & Power

Alexa Mini Power & R/S

& 72" Megaflex SDI all for just under $600

My buddy Brian Zaczek is a Steadicam Op swears by Media Blackout cables.

I'll report back when they show up!

12. Kamil Przybylak

Kamil Przybylak New Member

Does the RED RCP and REC Start/Stop will work using Futaba or Spectrum transmitter ?

13. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Not currently, but it's on the feature request list already!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  14. Sam Hannan

Sam Hannan New Member

Today with a RED that I hadn't had on the MoPro yet I switched on RCP and enabled the RED control protocol, plugged RCP cable into the remote port as normal, and all the settings showed up on the mimic - however the communication seems to be only one way. I can't change settings through the Movi however all the changes I make on the RED EVF are reflected instantly on the Mimic screen so I know it is bound properly etc....i tried many reboots and power cycles of the Movi, Mimic and RED all with that same result.

Any ideas?

15. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

Which versions of FW do you have on MIMIC and MōVI Pro?

On MIMIC, its on the first screen.
    On MōVI Pro, Monitor Screen > Details > More

16. Sam Hannan

Sam Hannan New Member

I was using 1.0.2 on both Mimic and Movi. I have now updated to the new 1.1.1 beta firmware and it is behaving exactly the same.

One interesting thing is that whilw all the other values populate with settings from the camera, ISO remains at 0, it only populates once i plug in the evf to the RED. I am wondering if somehow my cable is damaged on the tx pin maybe? Any way to check this with a multimeter? I will have a look at the pinout in the manual and verify my cable is good next I think.

17. Stefan Helborg

And please with pictures :)

18. Aaron Marquette

I'm having the exact same issue with a brand new RED Scarlet W (firm 6.3.78) and latest MPro and MIMIC v1.12 betas.

19. Stefan Helborg

I finally got it to work, but can't fint the place, where I can change the ressolution I'm shooting in....

I however found out another strange thing. When I press record gimbal is making a little wiggle...

#19 Stefan Helborg, Mar 11, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  20. Deniz Ozgoren

Deniz Ozgoren Support Mage
    Staff Member

v1.1 firmware bundle fixes this issue. You can get it by downloading the latest iOS or Android MōVI Pro App. "Bugfix: Run/stop command from MōVI Controller was causing momentary loss of input."

Graham Futerfas likes this.