/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI Pro Goes Insane with MIMIC Connected

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Joshua Coté, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Joshua Coté

Joshua Coté Member

Hey guys,

So I'm having a lot of problems with the MIMIC. It binds with the MōVI Pro, but once I turn it from "OFF" or "KILL" to "MIMIC" the MōVI starts losing its mind and twitching around wildly.

Any suggestions on where to start with this? This problem began from the first day out of the box.

2. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Make sure you are at least 5ft away from the MoVI. Mine does the same but once i get some distance between the Mimic and MoVI it fixes it.

Josh

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Interesting point, Josh. Sounds like the Mimic's transmitter is swamping the MoVI Pro's receiver thus enabling "insane mode"?

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Bryan Edmonds likes this.
  4. Josh Lambeth

Josh Lambeth Well-Known Member

Yup! I do believe that is what is happening.

Josh

5. Tim Sessler

Tim Sessler Active Member

Having the same issue - even from 10-15ft away. With the prototype I only had the issue when I was a few feet from it - 4-5ft separation and it worked just fine. Will let you know when I am able to solve this...

Cheers!
    Tim

6. Oleg Solodchenko

Oleg Solodchenko New Member

I had that also but once I went into the app, Dual Op, Adjustments and play around with the mimic mode. Once I took it off 'direct' it seemed to start to perform propertly.

Let me know if that helps.

Rob Ruscher likes this.
  7. Olli Koivula

Olli Koivula New Member

If you're in a tight space don't use the antenna on the mimic. The antenna adds to insanity.

8. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

I sent a support ticket about this to freefly and have yet to hear anything back! I'm gonna try out there gamepad controller and if that works I will stick with that until they figure it out.

9. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Here is the test for this.

Put the antenna ON, and go 15ft away. If everything is OK, then you are good to go, just don't get too close to MoVI Pro WITH antenna installed on MIMIC (I remove mine for bench testing)

If you have problems at 15 FT WITH antenna installed, there MIGHT be something wrong with your unit.

The new v1.1 beta FW also has signal strength indicators.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Olli: the conventional wisdom is that removing an antenna from a transmitter is likely to alter the so-called Standing Wave Ratio to the point where so much reflected radio frequency power is reflected back into the transmitter because of the mis-match of the impedance presented to the transmitter, that it burns out the so-called final stage amplifier. See e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave_ratio#Practical_implications_of_SWR

I would therefore really hesitate to operate a transmitter without its antenna given the risk of turning the transmitter into a brick.

Andy.

11. Simon Shohet csc

Simon Shohet csc New Member

Same problems when my Movi is bound to the mimic. I tested my mimic with another movi and it worked fine. I then tested another mimic with my movi and had the same jittery result. Poor signal strength with both mimics on my unit while both are perfect on the other. I have sent videos to tech support, awaiting response. I think maybe the internal Movi antenna is the issue, not the external mimic antenna, but just a guess.

Ryan Forte likes this.
  12. Ivan Robles Mendoza

Ivan Robles Mendoza New Member

Mine goes also insane.

13. Thomas Nakasone

Thomas Nakasone New Member

Insanity mode as well...tried all of the above suggested tactics...

anyone ever hear from FF on this? I too submitted a ticket but still have yet to get a response.

14. Ivan Robles Mendoza

Sorry to hear that, i sent my mimic back to be checked. Did not have the posibility to test it with the latest firmware. Did you tried that? Let me know if it worked for you

15. Thomas Nakasone

Thomas Nakasone New Member

no joy on new firmware

16. Ivan Robles Mendoza

Today they send me an email...
    They have to call my movi back:(