/dist/images/branding/favicon

MōVI Pro Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Chris Fox, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hey All,

I have just built this power adapter
    PowerAdapter 7.jpg

Which allows us to power the MōVi Pro and any camera or accessories mounted to it from any 12-24V power supply. I use it when the MōVI Pro is not connected to the drone for on ground and vehicle based work.

PowerAdapter 3.jpg
    This shows the MōVi Pro, Red Epic, RT Motion and Terradek Bolt 2000 all being powered from a single V-Lock battery. The benefit is that we can still shoot with the all the V-Lock batteries we still have on the shelf, also we can integrate the power supply directly to our car for tracking shots. By running power from the car battery we can provide the power adapter with between 11.8 and 14.4V which the adapter converts to a constant 25V for running the camera and MōVI Pro from. This way we only have to stop to change card or change lens.

IMG_1459.JPG

Our power adapter plays nicely when connect with a MoVI Pro battery as well, so you can put a MoVI Pro battery on, disconnect the power cable, change configuration (car to hand held, or different vehicle) reconnect the power adapter, all without turning the MōVi or camera off.

I am selling the power adapter through our online store. The power adapters will be hard anodised black. At the moment we are taking pre-orders, and I will begin shipping them in mid February. With the pre-orders I am offering free DHL shipping to anywhere in the world, and we will laser engrave your logo onto the face of the battery adapter instead of our logo. I build the power adapter in house, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.

If you have any questions just ask, if you like the sound of it, jump over here for a closer look

2. Ryan Forte

Ryan Forte Member

Personally would like a Movi Pro battery plate with a d tap 6+ Amp to power other accessories with Movi Pro Batteries

3. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Ryan,

Standby, work is being done on that right now, will have that available in February.

Cheers

Chris

4. Benjamin Granet

That is insane that Freefly haven't done it themselves.
    Can't wait to see your battery plate, if you could make mounting plates that are compatible with the screw positions of vmout and gold mount plates it would be great. Like that I could use it on my Freefly remote and on the wireless monitor I have to use with Mimic or for 1st ACs.
    Thanks for doing that Chris, I'm probably gonna order your battery system.

Have you also thought about developing a quad charger? With all the batteries we are gonna have to manage, this would definitely ease our lives on set.

Joshua Coté and Chris Fox like this.
  5. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Quad Chargers are on there way as well ;)

6. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

I would not be surprised if freefly was not only working on versions of all those items, but also devoid of any time to actually dedicate to pushing them out (with the success of their in-stock inventory).

Looks great chris ill def be looking into all the items you got coming!

Chris Fox likes this.
  7. Benjamin Granet

I would be glad to see Freefly releasing this accessories but seeing that they are developing the Movi XL at the moment, I'm unsure they are putting energy on them.

And Tab definitely said that they aren't interested in developing the Power Adapter in one of the live video mainly because it would take away the 360 pan.

8. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Right I doubt any energy is going into it as well, I was just suggesting they probably have prototypes with no real "release date" floating around their shop, much like the "pop and loks" Tabb said took three years to finally sell.

The power adapter information is new to me, thanks for that. Guess Ill be getting one of Chris's:D

9. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Those in Feb also?

10. Benjamin Granet

I think it was during the live for the Movi XL that someone asked the question and Tab said they weren't interested in developing it but that it was easy to make.

As Freefly said, they are open to see 3rd party developing solutions for the Movi. I'm eager to see what accessories I've never thought about people are gonna develop. I think Freefly should showcase them more.

11. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Sebastian,

Work is underway on them at the moment, I will have prototypes finalised in Feb, and opening pre-orders hopefully by the end of Feb. with deliveries starting in March.

Cheers
    Chris

12. Grayson Austin

Grayson Austin New Member

Great idea but I'm not keen on the hardline cable coming out of it. After more than twenty years as a Steadicam owner/operator and owning thousands of cables for every type of thing, I've learned that cables are always the first thing to fail and if that happens your whole component is down. Better just to have a chassis mount female Lemo in a standard Arri polarity 0B two pin (same as many accessories which people already have cables of) and let people choose how to cable to it. Better yet put two lemos on it and let people daisy chain power to another accessory.

Grayson Grant Austin, SOC

Rob Weidner and Ryan Forte like this.
  13. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi Grayson,

I am putting the Lemo female plug in for another customer as that is their preference as well. (Just select the custom cable option and I can make it)

I will have to check though if it is possible to squeeze two in side by side.

Cheers

Chris

14. Grayson Austin

Grayson Austin New Member

One is fine if there isn't room for two. Awesome.
    Grayson Grant Austin, SOC

15. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

There is room for two, side by side. Have to watch the power draw though, as the camera and movi are going to pull a few amps. Plus what ever is daisy chained from the second plug.

16. Benjamin Granet

+1 for the lemo in and out.

17. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

It will fit and end up looking something like this.

If you would like it jump over here and the dual Lemo connector variant is available. MoVi_Pro_Battery_Power_Supply_2017-Jan-24_04-37-08AM-000_CustomizedView259700780.png

18. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Here are some photos of the MoVi Pro Power adapter we have built in action. This is the pre-production version (production versions are hard anodised black)

This is the camera and MoVI Pro all being power from the car .... 16825992_10154207742595703_4290019744140078942_o.jpg

Inverted 16797395_10154207740295703_8533031521477006986_o.jpg

and having a break 16903147_10154207740905703_7261048347668075216_o.jpg

This was how we shot the latest the latest Supercheap V8 Super Car launch

19. Ben Ruffell

Ben Ruffell Active Member

I really like the way you are designing these products Chris. I look forward to ordering from you soon!

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT and Chris Fox like this.
  20. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Hi All,

Just a quick update, all pre-orders have shipped out in time, and the first batch has sold out. I am making the second batch right now, and they will be ready to ship in two weeks, so if you are keen, please jump over here to secure one.

Of interest the most popular version has been with the LEMO plug, for the most flexibility in what power source can be used.

Cheers

Chris