/dist/images/branding/favicon

New to the Movi

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Noël Ramos, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

I just started my new job today as "MacGyver" for a small TV station and they immediately dropped a Movi and a JVC cam in my lap and asked me to make them work together. First thing I noticed about the Movi is that it's vibrating and making noise after boot-up. There's no payload on board yet, so is that normal?

Second puzzle I face is the cam's form factor. It's not a DSLR. It's a 4K JVC GY-LS300 camcorder. Am I going to be able to make this happen?

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Noel, the Movi can be a fun challenge if you've never used a Gimbal before. Good that you're embracing it.

The vibration is normal, especially with no camera on there. The motors are set to a certain stiffness, and because there's no weight, they're causing the vibrations. You can tune the motors by connecting to the Movi via the Movi App. You can also adjust a bunch of other settings there. I've found Android smartphones connected via bluetooth to be ideal for changing the Movi settings, but there are other ways to do it.

Freefly has some great videos to show you how to get started, balance, and tune the gimbal here: http://freeflysystems.com/support/movi-support#section-product-tutorials

I'm not sure if your camera will fit on the M5 or not. If you can fit it in the cage, not hit the back of the Movi, and get it to balance, the motors will probably handle the weight.

What lens will you be using? You might need some counterweight on the back of the camera to compensate for a heavy lens, so that you don't have the camera pushed too far back and hitting the cage.

Also, will you be using a follow focus?

Good luck!

Noël Ramos likes this.
  3. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Very thorough and helpful response Graham, thank you so much!!!

Different users at WPAA will no doubt have various needs and configurations, so I am not sure if follow-focus will be used, or which of the three lenses we have for the GY-LS300 will end up on the camera. I am going to try it with the largest lens we have for the sake of testing the largest payload. It's a RoKinon DS T1.5 CINE LENS, 35 mm.

Related question: Freefly doesn't label the battery pack as "LiPo or LiFe," but the charger has a switch for one or the other. How am I supposed to know which one I have?

4. Graham Futerfas

They're LiPo batteries, and while they're pretty reliable and stable, you should definitely read up on them.

I would suggest starting with a smaller lens -- that may be easier, and you're still learning. Some heavier lenses can be difficult with long camera bodies because of the balancing, may require counterweights, etc. The smaller lens will cause you to push the camera forward, away from the back of the gimbal, where it may hit.

5. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Thanks but my job is to test for worst-case scenario, not necessarily to actually use the rig to film. I may film something, but simply for the sake of the test. You have been immensely helpful Graham!!!

6. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

I have managed to install the camcorder, but with any lens no matter what size, it's definitely going to need additional counter balance as you predicted. Also, I was forced to remove the handle, which means, the mic and mic inputs as well. :(

7. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

I was able to install with the handle, by removing the top struts and passing them thru the handle, then re-installing both. I created a counter-balance for the heaviest of the three lenses, and the Movi is fully functional. The whole rig is pretty heavy, but I think an Op could get some decent footage with it!

20161231_010723.jpg 20161231_010711.jpg

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  8. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

I'm looking into purchasing a fully auto-enabled lens for the GY-LS300, as it is not feasible to manually focus while the camcorder is on the Movi. I don't want to keep troubling Graham so is there anyone else who might answer my latest question?

Would it be advisable to operate the rig without the top rods? I tried it and it seemed quite solid that way. It would save the inconvenience of having to install them thru the handle, and then install the handle back onto the camera.

9. Graham Futerfas

Hi Noel, it's no bother. I sometimes don't get email alerts, so didn't see your previous posts until now.

Looks good -- I'm trying to work out your water-bottle counter balance from the photos.

Sound is sometimes a challenge -- some people just put small, miniature reference mics, or Time Code Lock-it boxes, or receiver\hops. Not sure if this camcorder would allow for it without the handle. The Movi's top bar provides extra rigidity and better gimbal performance, but if it works well enough without it, then you can go without. Are you planning to hard-wire mics to the camera? Or use the on-board mic?

Focus is a crucial thing to work out. There are a couple of thumb-controller focus units for gimbals, but I personally use an AC and a wireless follow focus system. I'm not sure how well an auto-focus system would do for your needs, since they can be hit and miss, but maybe it would work. You might also ask what some of the wedding videographers use for focus, since they tend to be more self-contained. Cinegears? RedRock?

10. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Thanks Graham! My research revealed very high marks for the GY-LS300's full auto mode, especially in run 'n gun shoots such as the kind where the Movi would be utilized.

I think we're at max weight/form factor with this configuration and there's simply no room for a wireless follow-focus and its necessary rails and gears, plus, the users will very rarely have a skilled AC available to them.

We have wireless transceivers and I normally plug one or two of those into the XLR jacks and clip the units to the rig. Seems easily doable with the Movi, especially since they would add a tiny bit more counter-balance if positioned toward the rear of the cam, or perhaps hanging beneath on the re-purposed top cage rails.

My "MacGyvered" counter balance is simply some steel wire bent into a shape that interlocks onto the bottom cage rails and holds a water-filled bottle for this proof of concept. The bottle was simply taped on, but it could be velcro fastened or some other method if a slicker look was desired. Alternative weight could be created, like a fixture holding large washers, which would allow fine-tuning of the counter-weight. The shape and position of the wire allows for a wide range of motion within the Movi's normal orbit.

11. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

I tried another configuration, both cross struts on the bottom. I think this adds more structural support than simply leaving one cross strut off completely.

Also shown is my MacGyver counterweight, as it hangs off the lowest strut.

20170102_013137.jpg 20170102_013058.jpg

12. Noël Ramos

Noël Ramos New Member

Here's a photo I found online of the Movi being used the way I first inquired about. I think my double rail configuration might be superior.

[​IMG]