/dist/images/branding/favicon

Case for Movi Pro

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Josh Park

Josh Park Member

I've been looking for a case for my Movi pro hand held. The biggest problem is the ring and yes, I've tried looking for a case that would fit this even just barely! So far no case I came across has the exact dimension I wanted!
    The ring is exactly 22 in x 23 inch (with the top handle removed) and I figured the entire Movi can collapse to 7 inches deep, so my ideal case dimension is 23 x 24 x 7 1/2 inch (with Trekpak inserts)
    BUT, this case dimension does not exist. I looked at all the famous brands. Pelican, HPRC, SKB.... nothing! The closest I saw was SKB case with 22x22x7inch dimension. So close!!

So I decided to do the crazy. I found out when the ring is inserted at an angle, a case that has 10 inches of depth could potentially fit the Movi ring.

My case of choice is SKB 3I-2222-12BE case. It has 22 x 22 x 12 of dimension. Out of 12 of depth, 2 inch is on the lid.

My package came in this week and I'll be able to build it and test hopefully this weekend. I'll post what I find out later.

Attached Files:

Samer Aslan likes this.
  2. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

SeBaStIaN BArrEtT Active Member

Good research! Please let us know how this works, seems like a great choice.

3. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg So I built out my case today, got tired of waiting for specs for a jasoncase, and I am pretty happy I went for it. Just a little surgery on the foam freefly sent with everything, and it all fit perfectly in some spaces I plucked out of bottom layer.ring fully built, in a pelican 1730 I had been itching to repurpose anyways. . .foam for ring has two little holes poked in it to accomodate feet, which slot well under gimbal foam. Aero landing gear, ring, gimbal, and a ton of accessories (including remote control for aerial gimbal control, cutting out an insert for that tomorrow.). And now the 1730 is actually a manageable weight with such a light item in it. Of course, an suv with folding rear seats is a near must for a case of this size.

Attached Files:

4. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

image.jpg image.jpg
    This is what I came up with for batteries, pelican 1450 using the foam that came with them(thanks freefly for awesome battery foam lol).10 batteries, power strip, and three chargers in here on two layers

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  5. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Your egg crate of batteries made my ocd hindbrain spas out graham :)

6. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Looks great Sebastian! Looking to do something with the shipped foam as well. May find the perfect size for the gimbal and a few pieces then another case for everything else such as a 1510 but still not sure on ring.

7. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

LOL! The Milkcrate makes it fast to get things charging on set, though, and I've put some effort to keep it organized.

I literally have 48 things that need to be charged in the Movi kit. I don't always need all of these things on every shoot, but here's what I have:

12 Movi Pro Batteries (+6 chargers)
    5 Panasonic CGA Batteriers for my On-Board TV Logic monitor
    5 Sony L Batteries for the AC's Small HD 702 monitor
    7 V-mount batteries (not used as much, but still need them for Veracity wheels, Director's Monitor, Teradek, etc.)
    7 Freefly 4S LiPo Batteries
    1 Mimic
    3 USB Batteries for Mimic
    4 9V Batteries for Bartech Focus Hand unit
    3 Sena SPH10 Headsets
    1 Samsung Galaxy S5

I also have a nice clamp-on LED work light. It's getting out of hand. o_O

8. Daniel De Silva

Daniel De Silva New Member

Using the original pelican storm that Freefly sold for M15, without cutting anything this is my reasonable solution with the Movi Pro packing foam.

IMG_2250.JPG IMG_2251.JPG

9. Aaron Marquette

Nice job guys! The factory shipping foam in those cases looks great. My Pro arrived yesterday with the gigantic case and I realized immediately that it was too large for: any 2 shelf camera cart, most camera truck shelves, most passenger vehicles narrow doorways, etc. Yikes! Then I tried rolling it using the wheels & short foldout handle (not long retractable) as you would in a airport and it's definitely not doable. I'll have to return & request some factory shipping foam and make my own case. Bummer but I'm glad to see your solutions here.

10. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

I hear you! I literally have a 4 foot folding table for an every-shoot charging station. I set up our 6u rack case with a couple pdu units on it. It looks crazy, mass of wires with 50 different lights.

11. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

yea the ring just barely fit in the walls of a 1630, sans foam. . . which is big.I am pretty happy I just happened to have a 1730 around that I wanted to throw off a cliff (would have to fully unload it first if I wanted to do this by myself lol) or else I would likely have spent a few weeks figuring out a multi-case approach. . . I am all about avoiding multi-case approaches. I feel like the only other cost effective, all in one case is either the SKB Josh is working on, or the large pelican 30x30 pelican I posted earlier, which without wheels and at $550 (no shipping), not really that cost effective.

12. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

and after building my ark of a case, I really doubt I would fit mimic, landing gear and ring with feet in there, let alone cables, controllers, etc.

13. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

Looks like I can't process a return on my movi pro case because I travelled with it. Didn't realize how unmanageable it was thru airports until I actually travelled with it and now I'm out a grand. Great.

14. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Dang Sam. been there, never feels good. I have a thousand dollar power supply around here somewhere(kidding, I use it as a boxspring. I know exactly where it is)that I could not return because Fedex refused to pick it up or ship it cause of weight. seller would have accepted it though lol.

I hope you find a use for it, I have used cases that large to stack-transport large monitors FWIW. . . .

15. Sam Windell

Sam Windell Member

Yeah it's just a massive door stop now i guess. So what's the verdict. everyone just flying with the ring itself in another checked bag it fits in and packing the other stuff in a different checked case like the one listed in here that fits freefly foam? That seems to be the most low profile way to go instead of getting a giant case that fits everything in it.

16. AlexChailan

AlexChailan Member

Hi Guys,

Same here, I have the Freefly MoviPro flight case, it's massive. For sure I have the size before I bought everything but when you have in front of you its little bit different :eek:)
    I didn't like it so much, the handles are unconfortble for rolling etc, will use for another use.
    So I pre order a case from Jasoncase, unfortanely Jason didn't let me know what we can exactly put in his case (specially how many battery) but he said the whole system will fit.
    He will use a 1640 pelican, will come back here when I will have in hands (probably around mid january)

Edit : Finally, after looking the good spec for the 1640, it still too big vs what I already have via Freefly. Will probably going to smaller case for the cage + mimic and accessories, the ring could fit on the car easily, via plane probably another case.

#36 AlexChailan, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  17. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

Sam i think the form factor is just bad on that case. . . .i have flown many times with my 1730, it's tall, fits well through doors. And with the movi pro in it instead of the camera bodies I was keeping in there, it's super light and easy to move.

It's not small, but I have had no problems traveling with it except for weight, and now that that is a non-issue. .

18. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

In fact I'd say interior space is equal to freeflys. I just think big square-ish shapes (why I steered clear of both freefly offerings)are a mistake for travel, rectangles are much easier to get around with, fit through doors, store. . .

19. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I can relate to the frustration tho. Here are a couple pics of the 1730 to give u an idea of the relative size. I like the handles, wheels have been fine on carpet and smooth hard surfaces.dont really drag elsewhere.fits everywhere, flying next weekend with no doubts I'll be ok with the 20 pounds lighter it is than last time. Comes in around 55 pounds I think, I'll let u know once I hit airport Scale..so far tho, around town, I'm good with it and the 350$ price tag. It was bad when it was really heavy tho. That's a pelican 1600 the movi pro is on top of

#39 SeBaStIaN BArrEtT, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
  20. SeBaStIaN BArrEtT

but if anything from the major laser cut people (Jason and all) does not require any tools, cool. Don't have a 1640, but it visually looks more square, long handle.