/dist/images/branding/favicon

Time to post Pictures of Movi Pro setups rigs etc...

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by Samer Aslan, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Samer Aslan

Samer Aslan New Member

Hi Freefly fellow users,I was thinking now that some of us have happily received the Movi Pro maybe it could be helpful for many of us posting some pictures and adding comments/thoughts on some setups we came out with to use the Movi Pro! I will do that soon as I'm still learning all the how to as it is my first Movi ever..so I won't be much of a help for others but I will post my doubts/questions so we can help other beginners like me:)...I have the Canon C300mkii and the Sony FS5 I will do a test tomorrow with the C300 an post here.
    In the mean time I wish you all a great new year and a happy Christmas

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Samer, Happy Holidays!

I'm headed out to my 4th Movi Pro shoot this month... and the last of the year. I also spent a day at a rental house testing several camera setups and lenses. So far, these are the cameras I've put on there:

RED Epic Dragon (DSMC1 body style) with Leica Summicron lens, + Freefly side-battery V-mount

RED Weapon (DSMC2 body style) with Leica Summicron lens + Base Expander camera module. Would prefer the Jet Pack module because the Lemo Power Plug comes really close to hitting the back of the Movi. Added a few counterweights to compensate for the lens.

Arri Mini (both with and without the WCU-4 focus unit) -- Kowa Anamorphics, Leica Summicron, and Zeiss Standard Speed lenses
    ---I tried the Freefly side V-mount battery plate, and it really doesn't work. Can't get the Roll Balance, and it doesn't really fit in the cage

Canon C300 Mark 2 with Canon 16-35mm lens, BPA60 Battery. I liked this setup, and will include some photos for you below.

Sony FS7 with Zeiss Standard Speed, internal battery,

Panasonic Varicam LT, with Zeiss Standard Speed and Leica Summicron. Needed counterweights for Summicron, and it really barely fits. I love the camera, but it's not ideal for the Movi. Heavy lenses won't really work without a ton of counterbalance, and I had to rig a top-plate on with a Metric bolt I had in my kit.

Except for the WCU-4 on the Mini, I always have to have my Bartech\FStop for follow focus, which can be powered either off the Movi's 6A camera D-Tap, or in the case of the Mini with the Bartech, I use a LiPo battery from my M15 kit with a D-Tap to JST adapter.

I also always have used my Paralinx Tomahawk transmitter, and I use a Misfit Atom lightweight 4x5 Mattebox.

Lots of Bongo Ties and Dual-Lock Velcro. I also have counterweights on hand if needed.

The goal for me is to easily separate the Movi from the Toad in the Hole and have everything go with the gimbal -- follow focus and Video Transmitter. This makes it fast to move the Movi between different setups and rigs.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the new Pop N Locks -- a great idea, but it needs to come with 1/4-20 bolts and perhaps 1/4-20 to 3/8-16 bushings, and I think the plate should be re-designed a bit so you can turn the male shoe 90-degrees if you want.

The big thing I miss from the M15 was the ability to adjust the Roll Balance back at the motor. This allowed me to rig the camera how I wanted, rough in the balance with a little hex tool, and then fine-tune the balance in the cage. Now, I have a lot more limitations in this adjustment because it can only be done in the cage.

Finally, I think the Base Plate needs a '1/4-20 only' version. This one's fine, but it's very specific, and I'd like to be able to put 1/4-20's in sometimes where there's only a 3/8 hole. Certain lenses require me to move the plate back and forth in order to get the balance better.

OK, that's a long-enough post for now. I've seen some guys put an amazing amount of crap on the Movi Pro, so it's all doable with a little practice and time.

IMG_0829.jpg IMG_0835.jpg IMG_0837.jpg IMG_0840.jpg IMG_0842.jpg IMG_0702.jpg IMG_0703.jpg IMG_0706.jpg 094A8245.jpg

3. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

Here's mine thus far. Own the C300 so been working with that for now. Co-Own the Dragon so should be getting that setup down shortly and will soon have access to the Alexa Mini and see how that goes.

I really love the Pop n Locks. I'd say that's a must have for rigging. As of now I have my wireless monitor on the ring which works well but not ideal if I want to lose the ring and go on a dolly/jib/stand/etc.

Looking forward to seeing other setups!

Attached Files:

4. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

Did a beefy Alexa Mini build with Hawk Vintage 74's the other day. I was able to power everything including the FIZ through the Movi Pro. The Fiz got power from the camera body via the RS cable. However, we did have one instance of the camera not receiving enough power during a fast focus throw, so I added a lipo battery to power the fiz.

Attached Files:

5. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Like a boss, Chris! I'm amazed at all the stuff you crammed in there, and still kept it balanced. Tilta cage, Preston MDR, Cinetape, Tomahawk... is that a little tail weight you have on there, too?

How did you break out the power from the Mini's EXT port? Will the Preston draw power through the Run\Stop cable directly, or do you need a splitter cable? I've only seen the 3-pin to EXT adapter for run\stop.

Joshua Coté likes this.
  6. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

Another option for power that we use is to break out power from the LBUS port on the PL Mount. This obviously only works if you are not using a WCU-4 and LBUS based FIZ system.

You get camera voltage upto to 4 amps through that port. I use that to keep the accessories powered when the camera is in the MoVI or on a shoulder rig/handheld/tripod. Here is photo of the top plate with power breakout and LBUS cable.

Alexa Mini LBUS Cable.jpg
    There is more information on our store

Shout out if we can help with anymore information, or parts.

Cheers

Chris

Rob Weidner and Graham Futerfas like this.
  7. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

I also got this setup working. To do an under sling I'll need something to drop it at least a few inches. May use a riser

Attached Files:

Noah Campos and Graham Futerfas like this.
  8. Rob Weidner

Rob Weidner New Member

Chris any chance you could post a quick Pi out for the LBUS? Super interesting way of going about keeping cables neat

9. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

For sure, hear is our Alexa, with the power coming from the LBUS, it goes into the power breakout on the back of the top plate. The Power breakout then powers the Teradek Bolt and the RT Motion receiver. There is a spare 2-pin lemo, which we use to power a Small HD when using the camera hand held. When we use the EF mount I run a D-Tap to 2 pin Lemo into the power breakout.

20160620_PowerBreakoutLBUS_0307.jpg 20160620_PowerBreakoutLBUS_0309.jpg 20160620_PowerBreakoutLBUS_0310.jpg

10. Keith Ferreira

Keith Ferreira New Member

Alexa Mini, 2x C-Force minis, Leica Sumilux and the Misfit Atom. Before the monitor was put on obviously... 03F3FFBE-1BDB-49A5-864D-0ABE8EB6BC05.jpeg

Graham Futerfas likes this.