/dist/images/branding/favicon

Canon Cinema Eos C300 Mk II - How to remove the EVF

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Florian Klaes, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Florian Klaes

Florian Klaes New Member

Hello fellow freeflyers,

I would like to ask for a admin approval for this topic:
    "How to remove the Canon C300-2 EVF."

Allowed or not in here?

Since it is non-professional and may damage the camera irreversibly and cancels the warranty, i guess.
    + Canon CPS Germany denied to remove my C300-2 EVF - even on request.

Disclaimer:
    Only at your own risk - no one except yourself is responsible for things that might happen.

2. Florian,
    What you are wanting to take apart is not a Freefly product. I would hope that if anyone here on the Freefly forum wanted to take their camera apart, they would understand how it would void any existing Canon warranty, and that Freefly in no way would be responsible for that. If you feel uncomfortable in any way, posting instructions here on the Freefly forum, you could just offer to send the procedure to any interested person, via direct email.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Feel free to post the instructions on the forum, Florian. There may be other people daring enough to do it, but as Chris points out, forget about any warranty from Canon.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Chris Harrison likes this.
  4. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Personally, I don't plan to do the surgery, I'm just a rubber-necker who wants to see the C300 carnage!! :)

Clarke Smith likes this.
  5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, I'm with you Graham...next thing you know we'll see a C300 on the Will It Blend YouTube channel! :)

Andy.

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  6. Florian Klaes

Florian Klaes New Member

Hey Chris thanks, just wanted to make sure i dont step on someones feet here and waste my time on a blog post that would get deleted otherwise.

I am convinced this topic should be public-knowledge - it is not like anyone of us is reverse-engeneering anything and making money based out of that.

In my opinion even it was a movi-pro i am breaking apart to improve something for my need/taste - that you guys did not want or could not do - it should be made public so the manufacturer knows about this thing and that it is concerning the costumers. That gives the manufacturer the choice to rethink everything and make better products.

I know you guys do exactly that and listen to your costumers and also push companys to open their platforms - so we all can focus even more on filmmaking and not just equipment.

*Please push Canon to open their interface like you did with the Red RCP - controlling the AF of the C300-2 with Mimic would be insane

This is not a step by step-tutorial, just a guidance.
    It is also non-professional and may be irreversibly - since i did it the fast and "wrong" way.
    I would suggest removing the EVF only if you really dont need it or dont want to use it any more - like never again.

Disclaimer:
    Only at your own risk - no one except yourself is responsible for things that might happen.
    You loose your warranty towards Canon if you do so.

I just have one picture for you showing you the result:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BODE0ADAGKV/?taken-by=chainshot.de

What you need:
    without it you dont need to start, a Ph 00 screwdriver - thats the smallest and finest screwdriver i know of.
    Be sure you have Ph 00 and not Ph0 or something - you need to be precise here or you may damage the tiny screwheads.

Remove the Eye-rubber thingy and front cap of the EVF, if you placed them there before.

Pull the EVF out to its maximum extension.

Slowly remove the rubber-protection thats wrapped around the EVF itself (use a flat scredriver to level the rubber up and gently pull).
    Think about the "Dioptrin"-Slider on the bottom of the EVF, since the rubber wraps around this area too.

Now on the top and bottom there are 2 screws on each side to keep the EVF-shell together - remove them.

You should be able to remove the upper shell (move straight up) and should have acces to the inner parts of the EVF.

At this point you see the screws mounted horizontal at the end of the EVF, attaching the whole EVF to the slide in/out-mechanism.

Those screws have to be removed.
    But before, i would suggest unplugging the EVF-Data-monitor-cable coming out of the camera (the connector got split in two pieces without any harm to the camera).

The same goes for the eyesensor if possible (i could not remove it since it felt like the needed force would crush everything)
    Remove the Eyelid-Frame with a screwdriver leveling the clamp-hooks in the framing and remove the optical-part out of the shell.

The result should be: a on the data-cable dangling and loose EVF-block inside the lower EVF frame/shell.
    Now that the EVF-inner-block is loose, you can get it out of the way and remove the screws for the lower EVF shell behind it.

That is where i have gone the fast and maybe wrong way - the data cable should have one plug on each side - one is loose now and the other one is of course in the camera-body itself - somewhere deep in there... i dont know.
    I dont wanted to tear the upper camera body shell apart to reach in for that connector.

So the for all that made it this far:
    The whole EVF construct should be dangling on that one data-stripe-cable - within the EVF it has wings/flaps so there is no pulling force/tension on the connectors.

To slide the data-cable throught the lower EVF-shell you have to CUT it (maybe folding is also possible...but who got time for that?).
    Remember, these wings just help to keep the connector stress free of any forces.

Now you slide the cable through the EVF shell and you are done.

Just stuff the remaining data-stripe-cable (bend it) into the camera-rear-opening and slide the now "empty" EVF-mechanism back into the body ("rest-position").

I just taped the opening with gaffer/duck-tape, since i have no 3D Printer or something to produce a closing-shell-part for the camera body.

If someine is able to create a 3D closing-shell part, i would be interested in that! :D

I will update this threat with a few pictures in the future with rig-setups and the advantages I see from doing this procedure, also some movi-pro-pictures when it arrives.

This procedure frees me on set with the c300-2.

It may sound odd but i found myself allready a few of times on set in cars or something else with limited space and the EVF has hindered me in those situations + i never ever used it a single time in over 12 months - therefore I am really happy to get rid of it.

I hope it helps those that are also bugged and bummed by the bulky and inconvienent EVF.

It works like a charm - even with the brand new firmware. :)

So no "will it blend" from my side guys, sorry. ;-)

#6 Florian Klaes, Dec 15, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
    Ozkan Erden likes this.
  7. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Thanks for detailed info Florian.