/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pro and the Canon C300M2, a good match?

Discussion in 'MōVI Pro' started by alain baars, Nov 4, 2016.

1. alain baars

alain baars Member

I own and work with the M10 and my Canon C300 Mark2, this camera hardly fits in the 'cage', there's hardly any room for movement, I have the idea that in the Movi Pro there's more room, am I correct?

Is there anything else you could mention about the pro in combination with the C300mark2?

Attached Files:

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Alain, I have an M15 and have put the C300 Mark 2 in it many times. The cage is *just barely* tall enough to accommodate the camera with top and bottom plates, but it does fit. I have to shimmy around the eyepiece on the back when I put it in there, but it makes it.

The Movi Pro cage is similar in size to the M15, as far as I can tell. But if it's even a few milimeters shorter, the Mark 2 might not make it.

Of course, you have to remove the top swivel monitor\sound module.

There is plenty of room side-to-side, especially if you take off the side handle.

3. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Yeah same when I mount my C300 MKII onto our M15, it just about fits with both top and bottom plates being pushed as far as possible (see pics)

Now looking at the specs between the two, I believe the MoVI Pro will need its cage's top part taken out due to a shorter height :(

MoVI M15 = 203mm (Length) x 203mm (Width) x 197mm (Height)
    MoVI Pro = 196mm (Length) x 200 (Width) x 165mm (Height)

Attached Files:

4. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

The cage of MōVI Pro cage is a 10mm taller than the M10/M15, to accommodate for Canon Cinema cameras. The new hardware on the top of the cage also makes it easier to mount these cameras on the Pro.

MōVI Pro: 200mm x 196mm x 175mm (W/D/H)
    M15: 200mm x 203mm x 165mm (W/D/H)

There is also more clearance between the top of the camera cage and the pan motor (to allow for the roll beam to flip over), so there will be more room for the giant EVF of the MKII models to tilt up out of the way, so it won't hit the roll beam.

Rob Ruscher and Graham Futerfas like this.
  5. Graham Futerfas

Thanks, Bryan! Good to know, since I use the C3002 fairly often.

When you measure the height, are you measuring: 1. The distance between the top and bottom dovetails when they're mounted in the cage (max camera height); 2. The distance between the top and bottom dovetail receivers (no plates installed); or 3. The distance between the carbon fiber rails of the cage?

Looking at Tabb's Facebook Live video the other day, the new top-rail insertion looks like an awesome feature. It's always tricky to line up the top and bottom of the camera into the rails when working by myself on the M15.

The real marvel of the Pro is how you added a ton of features and barely added any weight. Really impressive engineering!

6. Qiushi Yu

Qiushi Yu New Member

Will Sony FS7 fit in the MoVI PRO?

7. Bryan Edmonds

1. With the bottom horizontal support butted up to the collars, and the top even with the top of the carbon tube (not the plastic cap). If you pushed the top support to the top of the plastic cap (still tons of purchase on the carbon tube), you get another couple mm.

Sooo much easier.

Yes, the camera body itself (without the top handle) fits inside the cage. Overall usability will depend on the ability to balance it with whatever lens and accessories being used.

Qiushi Yu and Graham Futerfas like this.
  8. alain baars

alain baars Member

that's very good news, thnx Tabb. I ordered the Movi Pro today so I am very excited.

9. Iva Vel

Iva Vel New Member

Tha
    That's great news Bryan! My info about the Pro's cage dimensions came from the Pro's store page. Can you confirm this is indeed incorrect?

Checking the manual now, it does say 196 x 200 x 175mm (L*W*H) in it but the product page says 196 x 200 x 165mm (L*W*H) (http://store.freeflysystems.com/collections/movi-pro/products/movi-pro-handheld-bundle-2)

Perhaps have your team amend it?

Thanks!

10. Bryan Edmonds

Good catch, Ivailo. I've amended the store page with the correct dimensions.

11. Florian Klaes

Florian Klaes New Member

Hey guys, i was wondering, I am owning the c300-2 for over a year now... and right from the first unboxing i have put the EVF protection cap on the viewfinder and since then never removed it, i never used the c300-2 evf - Is there a way to remove it somehow?

I asked the german CPS about it and they just said they dont offer services that change the camera.

I dont even have the screwdriver that would be needed to remove those micro screws...

Would be curious about this...would the camera work flawlessly further on...or not...
    Is it even possible?

Anyone here has similiar thoughts?
    The EVF is useless for me because iam allways on a monitor..no matter the condition... and for gimbal work (next month movipro) it might get in the way...it is bulky...cumbersome and really not needed for me at all...

12. Rob Ruscher

Rob Ruscher Member

I have the C300 I and you are able to twist a large plastic flat head screw and then slide off the VF. We would just cover the area with paper tape. Does the Mark II not have that option?

13. alain baars

alain baars Member

no, you can't take the EVF off, but if you lower the camera there's enough headroom left

14. Florian Klaes

Florian Klaes New Member

My problem will be: i am running on arca-swiss plates (kessler kwick release on EVERYTHING) and probably have to fit in a kessler-kwick release-adapter in the cage in addition + i got a zacuto c300-2 helmet and z-rail on it - but ill think there will be a solution... but removing the EVF would be amazing... but no one has done that until now...

15. Florian Klaes

Florian Klaes New Member

edit: i have done that.

Did it on my own risk and thats the same for everyone else thinking about it.

Brain surgery complete.

Removed the (in my opinion) useless EVF from the c300-2, i never used or needed it.
    Since Canon themself wouldnt do that, even on request.

Camera working as before - curious to see if that stays valid after the firmware update this month.

I think the camera aknowledges the EVF as a basic monitor out and doesnt care or check for it beeing plugged in.
    That was my only fear, that there would be a window or error message saying: "check for connectings" while not letting you adjust or use the camera any further.
    But everythings works as it should - at least for me.

And i hope it stays like this.

Amazing how much space and clearance there is now - i can set the zacuto z-rail on my helmet way further back which makes my rig even more flexible and compact.

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  16. Graham Futerfas

Hi Florian, I'd love to see photos of what you did. Can you upload them? Sounds like a complicated task.

17. alain baars

alain baars Member

Hi Florian, same here, very curious as I would want do do the same.

18. Florian Klaes

Florian Klaes New Member

Hey guys, thanks for your interest.
    I am happy to hear that it is not just me feeling that way about the EVF.

If that is allowed on this forum/or on the internet at all ( :D ), i can try to write a little text about removing the EVF - but let me remind you: the way i did it, is non-professional and may be irreversably and could damage your camera - which i am not responsible for in any way and circumstances + you loose your warranty i guess. ;-)

Could a admin approve this story here...(before I invest time in it and then the text gets deletetd or something), please?

I dont get why canon did not make the EVF quick releasable like on the C300-1...

And i still dont get why there still is not a single BP-A60 or like BP-A90 with a D-TAP(!!!!) on the market available...

19. Florian Klaes

Florian Klaes New Member

Update: Camera still works with the brand new firmware.
    Finally shutter angle priority through out the frame-rates. :)

20. Daniel De Silva

Daniel De Silva New Member

As someone here mentioned, the cage is taller and does infact accomodate the C300 Mkii perfectly. I must say that the top rail is my favourite feature for rigging that camera, you now don't have to slide the camera via the rear of the cage, and then attach the rod mount adapter. It's fully built and slide it on the lock down the top rail - genius. Also you can run the zacuto helmet with no issues.

See this for reference:
    https://instagram.com/p/BOWE_EUAcTH/

Now to work out the mysterious LANC setup....

Graham Futerfas likes this.