/dist/images/branding/favicon

M5 Tuning for Multirotor

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Mark Langille, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Mark Langille

Mark Langille Member

Over and above the basic auto tune setting what is the suggested items to tweak for aerial use?

We have done a couple test but notice a bit of movement with auto tune alone. I assume auto tune is going to be on the conservative side for handheld use?

Are there nay suggested best tweaks such as upping power, increasing gyro/output filters, etc that are the best place to adjust for aerial use?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Mark when you tune for aerial, mount the gimbal to your copter and then suspend the copter off the ground and do the tuning. Should tune much better.

3. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I have 2 M5's and I tuned each the same way. I bolted the gimbal to the copter and let it hang freely from the vibration isolators. I then do auto tune and set it for 70%. I then take the notes of each stiffness setting. I then take each stiffness setting to the point where each motor will start to vibrate. I write down this number and then I split the difference between where the auto tune number is and the number where it starts to vibrate and go with that number.

I also have found to put smoothness at 30 percent for tilt and pan and it gives me ultra smooth movements.

Also make sure that your CG on the gimbal front to back and left to right is good or else your copter's CG will be off.

4. Charlie Cushing

I have always tuned mine in the MOVI handheld mount, what is the advantage to tuning it while mounted to the chopper?

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

The tuning algorithm basically "shakes" the MōVI very slightly to detect the mechanical resonances of the entire system and adjust the MōVI parameters based on that.

So, if you don't have the MōVI in the same configuration (held two-handed, one-handed, mounted on a copter suspended), then the mechanical resonance will not be the same as when you actually use the MōVI, so the autotune will not be as accurate -- the autotune gets a false sense of what the mechanical resonances are.

Andy.

6. Charlie Cushing

Is balance still done the same way on the Freefly MOVI holder? You are only adjusting the MOVI forwards and backwards to get the CG correct? Is there a video tutorial available that best explains how to do this?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I just realized I only answered your second question....

Static balancing (that is the camera on the MōVI with the MōVI powered off) is done the same way regardless. You need to balance the three axes individually -- allowing for the fact that when you tweak roll or pan it might require re-adjusting tilt, and so on.

So start with tilt by moving the camera fore and aft and hold the rear roll bar, then slide the camera left and right to balance in roll, and then adjust in yaw (pan).

Once you have the camera sufficiently well balanced that you can park the camera is any position without it moving, then that's when you power it up on the stand (or on the ground) and then suspend the copter (for aerial work) or hold the MōVI in the same way that you want to shoot it, and do an autotune and then adjust each axis to find the sweet spot.

Andy.

9. Charlie Cushing

Ok, I just went through those video tutorials, I've seen all of those and that is how I balance my copter, but I'm interested in how you balance it differently while mounted to the Cinestar.

So from what I've gathered, if all axis' look good in the holder, you mount it to your copter suspended in the air, hit autotune and then do fine adjustment to make it balance on the copter.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

That's what I do. Autotune gets sufficiently close that when I've been in a hurry, I'll just do an autotune...

11. John Woike

John Woike New Member

What do you use to suspend your copter? Hanging off straps off ceiling or on a setup like saw horses with the MR arms resting on them?

12. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

You want the copter suspended in a way that the gimbal is suspended from the O rings. You can simply do this by suspending two booms up with chairs.

13. John Woike

John Woike New Member

Thanks Dave. I've got a modified QR setup I made for my Tarot X6 which doesn't use the FF O rings but does have vibrations isolation built in so I will try that. I also have a foldable sawhorse setup I picked up from Harbor Freight a few years ago that should work too.

Thanks,

John