/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motion Booting details and procedures

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Jose Luis Ocejo, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

I have search the forum for specific UP TO DATE procedures on using Motion Booting for operating the Alta6 and I guess is the same for the Alta8, and the Movi from a boat, what I have read is not very clear or complete to me.
    so I would like to bring this topic back to the forum to solidify the knowledge on this, as you all well know flying over water has its risks, with the added risk of taking of from a boat its a topic that has to be well understood.
    some of the procedures that I have learn from fellow pilots and the forum are:
    please correct any of this procedures.
    1 Execute a Alta and a Movi boot on land prior to board the vessel
    2 Before powering down select in the Alta and in the Movi app "Motion Booting and write them to memory
    3 Boot as normal on the deck of the boat I understand that booting may take longer
    4 when back on land turn off Motion Booting

Questions:
    1 in Motion Booting the Alta or Movi may take longer to boot ?
    2 Does the recorded land boot deteriorate over time? if so? any idea of time? or boat boot cycles?
    3 if it does how to know, wile the Alta is not in the air ? perhaps in the app? or simply it won't arm?
    4 Wile in motion booting after taking of from a boat is there any flight performance difference than from a land booting?
    5 Does motion booting affect GPS
    6 Is there a limit on the boat movement that the alta and Movi can take wile in motion booting
    7 Explain just so everyone is clear what "Motion booting" actually does?
    8 Is battery hot swap a good option instead of MB, or not
    9 Anything else not mention here that I or we should be aware wile in motion booting taking off from a boat anything to fly safe
    thanks

#1 Jose Luis Ocejo, Nov 6, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  2. Jose Luis Ocejo

Guys any one with real world motion booting feedback?

3. Jonny Lee

Jonny Lee New Member

1 in Motion Booting the Alta or Movi may take longer to boot ?
    • I haven't noticed a longer boot up time on the A8
    2 Does the recorded land boot deteriorate over time? if so? any idea of time? or boat boot cycles?
    • From my understanding yes. The gyros are temp sensitive and over time will deteriorate. Should not be an issue for a day or so.
    3 if it does how to know, wile the Alta is not in the air ? perhaps in the app? or simply it won't arm?
    • You'll probability find out if it has deteriorated if you have an unsuccessful take off. The OSD is recommended to monitor if the ALTA is safe for flight not the APP when in Motion Boot mode.
    4 Wile in motion booting after taking of from a boat is there any flight performance difference than from a land booting?
    • I've used this feature when hand launching from land with a VR unit multiple times without noticing a difference in flight performance.
    5 Does motion booting affect GPS
    • I fly Manual 99% of the time so have not tested the GPS
    6 Is there a limit on the boat movement that the alta and Movi can take wile in motion booting
    • The Max tilt on the ALTA is 45 degrees. The greater the boat movement the greater clearance area you would need to take off.
    7 Explain just so everyone is clear what "Motion booting" actually does?
    • Layman's terms - Circumvents the Gyros/Accelerometer comparisons to allow operation when in motion.
    8 Is battery hot swap a good option instead of MB, or not
    • In times past, the Synapse had some issues once the motors where started but takeoff was aborted, requiring a disarm and re-arm. I'm not sure how the FC acts if it's powered for a long time without actual flight. Good question for Freefly support.
    9 Anything else not mention here that I or we should be aware wile in motion booting taking off from a boat anything to fly safe
    thanks.
    • Take off from the highest point of the ship
    • Altitude is your friend
    • Stay away from radar, antennas or other RF noise
    • Come in for a landing with plenty of reserves in your battery for a hand catch (not recommended but really no other option)
    • I found it's easier to land on a boat if it's moving then when it's anchored.
    • Make sure the benefits out weigh the risks for flight over water
    • Check your insurance policy for verbiage regarding flights over water.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Based on my experiences of trying to land on anything other than the ground (e.g. a picnic table), you are better off to do a vertical descent than a low-above-the-deck near-horizontal approach. The near-horizontal approach transitions the ALTA from "no ground effect" to "sudden ground effect" as you come over head of the table (or boat deck) -- the result is that the ALTA tends (at least when I'm flying it -- could be "pilot specific" :rolleyes:) to get very unstable at the ground effect transition point.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Jose Luis Ocejo

Thanks to Jonny Lee, Andy Johnson, and Jeff Shool for the feed back on motion booting, I did the shoot and things work out very well Alta took off from a custom pad on the bow of the boat and we hand catch the Alta on landing, the conditions where not ideal windy and choppy

6. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

How big of a boat were you on?

7. Jose Luis Ocejo

Hi Mike it was a 60 Beltram plenty of space to take off from the bare deck, but I ask production for a simple sheet of playwood over some sand bags they took it on them selfs to make a 5 feet by 5 feet by 2 feet high very nice platform that allow me not to work on my knees and kept the copter area dry at times on boat decks there is some water, to my advantage there was a front hatch that allow me to fold the Alta and take all the gear bellow deck quickly

Attached Files:

8. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Great idea for the platform...especially to keep things dry. I can see by your skies that you were in for a little weather!

9. Jose Luis Ocejo

Yes it was rainy, choppy water, landing on the deck was tricky so we decided to hand catch the Alta after we rehearse it on land