/dist/images/branding/favicon

Does anyone have a 14SG / R7008SB model file for the M10?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Mike Zintel, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

It seems to be working now.

The key observation was the red light on the R7008SB. It was in some weird half-bound state where the 14SG thought it was bound, and telemetry was flowing (I think), but the uplink was dead.

The intermittent WiFi is apparently a Pixel C tablet problem that coincidentally started at the same time. MacBook Pro works fine.

While fresh in my mind, the steps needed to move from a virgin M10 + 14SG/R7008SB as shipped from QC, to a working system:

If the unit is new, ignore all the confusing documentation about Bluetooth because you probably have WiFi. Do not purchase a WiFi adapter.

Order this cable: Futaba FSH66 55mm Extension S.Bus Male/Male (https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-FSH66...ba+FSH66+55mm+Extension+SBus+Male+to+Male+(2))

Connect the R7008SB to the M10’s S.Bus port. Use the 8/SB connection on the R7008SB (see 14SG manual, pg. 30). The M10 will power the R7008SB. Remove the odd cable that fits nothing you own on the M10 (14SG manual, pg. 30).

Follow the directions in the 14SG manual, pg. 25, to set the R7008SB into Mode B (2 red blinks).

Follow the directions in the 14SG manual, pg. 37, to link the R7008SB to the 14SG. If this worked, the R7008SB will display a green light when the 14SG is turned on.

Purchase Andy’s guide: Installing and Configuring the Futaba Radio Control … Study page 35, How This Maps to That and Whatnot. At this point you need to have a mental model for switches, channels, and whatever config thing is going on in the M10 App/M10 itself.

In the M10 app, set the receiver type to S.Bus. Enter the values for the Futaba channel defaults into the app per the M10 manual, pg. 30. Write them to the M10.

These:

Radio Type S.Bus
    Pan Rate Clamp -7
    RC Mode -5
    RC Pan 1
    Roll Trim 4
    Tilt 2
    Tilt Rate Clamp -6

Switch SE selects Remote, Magestic and off. Push this switch all the way to the back for Remote mode. At this point the 14SG should be able to pan and tilt the M10.

Assuming it does, you can stop now. The controls on the 14SG will work as described in the M10 manual. You are using the default switch to channel mapping in the 14SG, and remapping channels to functions in the M10 (app). You are also managing all the signal inversions in the M10 (app), as opposed to the 14SG. Andy explains this too, in the guide.

Indeed one of the advantages of stopping now is that you may never need to understand the 14SG user interface, which is confusing in a surreal way, even by RC gear standards.

But you've been upsold to a 14SG during the confusing buying process, even through you really only need a handful of channels (3 would take care of it). And you’ve got all these switches. We can do better.

I remapped Pan Rate Clamp and Tilt Rate Clamp to the two rotary knobs on the top of the 14SG, switch LD and RD. This can’t be done in the M10 (app), because these switches are not mapped to any channels by default. The trick is to remap channel 7 to switch LD (Pan Rate), and channel 6 to RD (Tilt Rate).

To pull this off, you’ll want read the guide’s General Strategy for Changing Setting Values (pg. 8), and Changing the Assigned Switch (pg. 40). Finally you’ll want to read how to rename and save your model file.

A table like this helps:

Tilt 2 J2
    Pan 1 J1
    Roll Trim 4 J4
    Mode -5 SE Remote -100
    Majestic 0
    Off +100
    Pan Rate -7 LD
    Tilt Rate -6 RD

At this point I’m trying to understand what Handheld/Airborn does, or is supposed to do. From experimentation, it seems that if you set the 14SG into Remote mode, it has full control of pan and tilt. Handheld/Airborn doesn’t seem to do anything.

But if the 14SG is in Magestic mode, Airborn seems to lock out remote pan and tilt. Which makes sense. I think.

But Handheld mode allows remote tilt and “majestic” pan. I want this, and indeed the M10 manual even hints at it on pg. 34, Mode Switch: Some shots are best executed with the MōVI operator controlling pan, but with the camera operator controlling tilt.

Without the right setting on Handheld/Airborn (i.e Handheld), you won’t get remote control of tilt. And I really don’t know if I’m doing this correctly.

Thanks again folks.

2. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

Tricky business, Andy.

Attached here is the model for the 14SG. Just remove the ".zip" from the end before you copy it to your SD card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The MōVI has two gimbal applications, Handheld and Airborne.
    • Handheld is configured specifically for, you guessed it, handheld use. This includes handheld use inside a helicopter or airplane.
    • Airborne is configured for flying with Freefly multi-rotors, where the landing gear is fixed to the MōVI, not the multi-rotors.
    In each application, you have the following modes, changeable with a compatible controller (MōVI Controller, Spektrum, Futaba, etc).

Handheld:
    • Dual - Person with the joystick has full pan and tilt authority over MōVI.
    • Majestic - Person with joystick has tilt authority, but the pan is in Majestic Mode, controlled by physical inputs to the handlebars (or aircraft yaw).
    • Kill - Power is cut to the motors.
    Airborne:
    • Dual - Person with the joystick has full pan and tilt authority over MōVI.
    • Parked (no Majestic) - This mode freezes the motors in position, for take-off and landing. The camera will be pointing straight ahead, but the pan and roll motors will be locked with the aircraft or handlebar orientation. This will keep the airframe from spinning while the landing gear is sitting on the ground.
    • Kill - Power is cut to the motors.

Attached Files:

3. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

From this I assume remote control over tilt only, with magestic while flying, is not possible?

4. Bryan Edmonds

Bryan Edmonds Chief Mōvi Whisperer

If want Majestic pan (reacting to yaw of aircraft), set the gimbal to Handheld Mode in the app, and put the mode switch on your 14SG to the middle position.

Flying in Handheld mode will mean that when you are on the ground (both take-off and landing), the aircraft will spin on top of the MōVI (assuming you are using Freefly landing gear affixed to the MōVI itself), in both Dual op, and Majestic modes.. You will just have to flip the mode switch to Kill while you are on the ground, to keep it from spinning.

5. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Glad to hear you have it all figured out - and your explanation may certainly help someone else get off to a quicker start. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes fairly quick and easy to map and re-map different commands to different switches and knobs. I think one of the most useful things you did was mapping the two speeds to the knobs. I did that as well and it makes the radio a little more functional in my opinion. It also follows the same set up logic as the movi controller which has speed control knobs as well. Good luck with it all!

6. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

Flying in Handheld mode will mean that when you are on the ground (both take-off and landing), the aircraft will spin on top of the MōVI (assuming you are using Freefly landing gear affixed to the MōVI itself), in both Dual op, and Majestic modes.. You will just have to flip the mode switch to Kill while you are on the ground, to keep it from spinning.

I would have never figured that out. Thank you.