/dist/images/branding/favicon

Drones and fireworks (and bridges, with any luck) just go together good

Discussion in 'CineStar Showcase (Photo/Video)' started by Mike Zintel, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Whoa! Looks like you nearly got shot out of the sky at 0:33.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Thats a lot of great fireworks footage.

4. Mike Zintel

Mike Zintel Member

I'm a licensed pyrotech, and I've been playing with drones and cameras and fireworks. A few learnings:

It doesn't seem that the "break charge" (i.e. when the shell splits into stars) impacts a CS8 class rig. Your mileage may vary, but I’m getting bolder.

I’m sure that a 2-4 lb pre-break shell accelerating at 500 fps would splinter a drone. But the odds of taking a direct hit are really low. The net is that is seems safe to go close. Of course you are going to have to deal with turbulence caused shake, which will ruin most clips.

Very close is interesting. Shell breaks up close are good footage. But medium close isn’t. The best angles seems to be above looking down, or a long high shot with the grandness of the break in context of something that conveys size and place. It really odd how straight up videos from the ground are interchangeable with drone break video and no context.

Mike.