/dist/images/branding/favicon

Shipping batteries to Russia

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Ben Platts, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

I have shoot in Vladivostok next March and am looking at ways to get batteries there. Ideally it would be 10000mah but might look at 4500mah if shipping seems difficult. Anyone have any experience with Russia or even anyone in Russia I could rent some batteries off? Thanks

2. Nick Piotrovski

Nick Piotrovski New Member

Hello from Russia!))
    I have 8 pieces 6S 13000mah ONBO, you can rent it.
    I'm based in Moscow, I think it will be not a big problem to deliver batteries to Vladivostok.

3. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Guys, I think we need to create a global network for this kind of cooperation. Travelling with Lipo batteries (and sometimes drones) abroad is becoming bigger problem everyday. With a proper network, we can rent gears within the circle. I will create a Google Docs file and open a new topic about it.

4. Nick Piotrovski

Nick Piotrovski New Member

5. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Great idea!

6. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

So Nick I am definitely interested in renting some batteries. Could you email me at ben@flyingcameracompany.com with a list of the batteries you have and how much it would cost to rent them for a 5 day shoot. Thanks!

7. Davis DiLillo

Davis DiLillo New Member

I carried our batteries on the plane commercially to Russia last year. Brought about 16 packs of 10000mah.

If they ask if they are lithium ion batteries you politely say no, they are lithium polymer :D

8. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Interesting! Which airline was that? Be great if it's that easy but also a bit of a risk of ending up with no batteries for the job of it doesn't work. Thinking of going with running 4 X 4500mah batts so they are all under 100wh. Will just need a lot of them. Would rather have the 10000's

9. Davis DiLillo

Davis DiLillo New Member

KLM, lovely a380 out of LAX.

4x 4500mah On the Alta? Not taking the 50v Vulcan to russia? :p

By the way Ben, have you fitted one of those DJI A3 RTKs on one of your Vulcan yet!? Wrong thread but would love to chat, we have similar heavy lift platforms looking to upgrade a few things here and there.

10. Ben Platts

Ben Platts Active Member

Ha! Yeah I was thinking about that. I usually always take the Vulcan for back up. Guess I'd have to try and fit 8 X 4500 on it if I needed it! Hope it doesn't come to that!
    I'm just running A2 on the Vulcan. I got the ALTA 8 about 2 months after the Vulcan so the Vulcan hasn't seen that much use since then. It's a complete beast in the air but the 4 battery thing is a bit annoying and the ALTA 8 is such a good machine it's been kinda demoted to a reserve position so haven't really upgraded anything. Just put some self tightening quick release prop adapters on it yesterday but that's about it. Be interest to hear how you get on with the A3 if you use it. Been using another drone on some industrial work recently using the Trimble GPS system with RTK for autonomous missions. About 30cm GPS accuracy at the moment. Can get it down to 10cm. Pretty impressive.

11. Davis DiLillo

Davis DiLillo New Member

Y

Yeah I'm with you on the Alta 8 ours is great. Plus it's the same system for other pilots I hire for different jobs.

I use the Vulcan for high altitude missions where the Alta 8 can't function with heavy lens some clients require.

Also I've had less success trusting GPS accuracy on the Alta, but never fly it in situations requiring strong GPS maneuverability, like high winds. This is mainly because the flat 8 form factor struggles in high wind. That's where coaxial 8 configurations can slice through wind especially with higher trust outputs.

But yeah the Raven hasn't been utilized as much as we thought after the Alta 8. :)