/dist/images/branding/favicon

Rise and Fall in Manual mode

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Aj White, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Aj White

Aj White Member

Hey guys, been flying as much as I can getting my bearings. I have been using a pair of 6000mah batteries until all my Freefly ones get here in a few days.

I flew once with nothing else attached and then once with some more batteries as a dummy load in the bottom tray.
    Both times the throttle is EXTREMELY sensitive and I find myself struggling to keep it at a steady altitude. I'm pretty sure it's because my load is so light and it's at almost .25 throttle/hover right now.

Would a poor compass calibration also have something to do with it? I didn't have a friend with me at the time but I'll re-do it tomorrow.

2. Tom Pattison

Tom Pattison New Member

Your alta is too light and you don't have enough throttle control at quarter stick. I did the same and struggled to land ;)

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

You can land while in Altitude Hold. When light the throttle takes less input for changes.

4. Aj White

Aj White Member

Yeah that's what I figured, thanks guys. I did try the altitude hold and it works beautifully.

5. Chris Jordan

Chris Jordan Member

If all else fails.... Read the manual before take off, it actually talks quite a bit about this :)

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Look in the manual for setting hover throttle. pg 33 in the smaller setup guide manual. I highly recommend changing this for changes in payload.

7. Aj White

Aj White Member

Thanks guys, I got it all sorted the next day. It was just due to payload weight. All good now.

8. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Hi, I am having a similar issue. After a few adjustments to the hover throttle I managed to get the ALTA to hover at centre stick, but it is very sensitive. Just one notch up or down has a huge effect on the ALTA's climb/decent rate. Not sure if this is normal for most pilots, but I am definitely not used to this level of sensitivity.
    I was carrying a payload of 2.7kg bottom mounted and had the flight batteries on top. Is this too light for the ALTA? Should I increase the throttle expo to make it less sensitive?

9. Mateusz Hajdziony

Sounds as a pretty light payload for the ALTA and that's probably why the craft is so sensitive to the throttle. Setting expo on the throttle in your Tx should do the trick!

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Or try the Expo settings in the ALTA. In the GUI - Radio - Adjustments page.

11. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

cool, thanks for the conformation. Most of the time I'll be flying more weight than this obviously. I just got my ALTA, so these flights were just with a dummy load to put some weight under her.

12. Aj White

Aj White Member

I'd love to get a little more info on this. You're saying this will tame down my manual controls? I'd love to mellow out the throttle response, it's like Fast & Furious out there.

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

AJ I haven't tried them yet, and just noticed there is nothing in the manual. So I making an assumption they would work like the EXPO settings that you can do in a radio like the Futaba. Worth confirming with the support team at FreeFly.

14. Zac Eskelsen

Zac Eskelsen New Member

I don't notice much response from the expo in the app, but if your using Futaba you can set several different throttle expos, and set them to a switch so you can try several different ones quickly.
    I've adjusted my expos in the radio and just watching the values in the app I already can tell its going to be much less sensitive.
    I can make a little explanation video if requested about how to make the changes in the futaba, (or spectrum for that matter).

Kurt Naeslund and MIke Magee like this.
  15. Will Glover

Will Glover New Member

Hi,

Just picking up on this.

We're flying the Alta at maximum weight currently. I was wondering what the best hover throttle setting would be voltage wise for this? It'll save me landing testing landing testing as we're on a shoot.

Thanks,

Will

16. Kurt Naeslund

Kurt Naeslund New Member

Hello Zac!
    Did you get to make that explanatory video?
    I am struggling with a overly "agressive" Alta 6, and I am a newbie.

Thanks,
    Kurt Naeslund
    Norway

17. Colt Helton

Colt Helton New Member

Kurt, Did you figure you're problem out? Having the same issue

18. Kurt Naeslund

Kurt Naeslund New Member

I must admit, practice...that is one thing that helped me. When writing my initial input here I was flying the GH4, and it seemed pretty light for the Alta6, så more weight is actually needed. I am still having problems getting it to hover at 50% throttle in manual though, even when flying a heavier camera now...