/dist/images/branding/favicon

M15 pan hold issues on multi rotor

Discussion in 'MōVI M15' started by dan watkins, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Jaron Denson

Jaron Denson New Member

Are you suggesting that the M10 has a better pan holding ability for aerial use? Would you mind sharing your modifications to your M15?

2. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

3. Jaron Denson

Jaron Denson New Member

Thanks for pointing me over there. When I was reading this last night I was thinking about the same thing except using fiberglass instead of vacuforming. Looks Pro, great job. I have to pull the trigger on a Movi would you suggest the M15 or M10 for aerial use?

4. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

It really depends on your applications. For example, the M10 doesn't work as well in inverted mode. More people request this than I expected. We also do more handheld work than I expected and the M15 accepts larger cameras.

5. Stefan Helborg

My M-15 also broke loose in the day when I fly fast sideways.

Latest firmware on both gimbal and MOVI controller
    (MOVI controler v1.1.3.0 although the latest I can find on the net called v1.1.2.0 ...?)

Heading assistant: gps
    Tilt stiffness: 75
    Roll stiffness: 75
    Pan stiffness: 350
    Gyro filter: 3
    Output filter: 3
    Tilt hold: 8
    Roll hold: 8
    Pan hold: 8 (maybe I should try to increase this significantly 20-40)
    Pan smoothing: 3
    Pan window: 3

Any suggestions or solutions other than the FF comes with a more powerful PAN motor :rolleyes:

6. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Lighten up the payload... that's the only option :(

We tried every combo of setting & weight... nothing helps once you pass 13lbs (total weight including gimbal), while traveling +10m/sec and camera is 90degree to flight path. We have flown up to 15lbs total including gimbal but that's when the "breaking loose" happens, it's really hard to explain to a DP or director what happened during a take.

We have unfortunately informed all our clients that a Ultra Prime is all we can carry that works all the time. Not a bad offering but add remote iris & it becomes problematic once again.

We get our weapon finally & that should help being 1.7lbs lighter then dragon / Alexa - but we use our Alexa 1/2 the time so hope Freefly can come up w/ a solution. I don't care how much it costs, just need something that works up to 15lbs payload (in real world conditions w/ wind resistance, inertial). Freefly needs to mount an Alta & fly full speed w/ 15lbs - if the gimbal fails - design a larger motor on till it holds or use a gear reduction like Aerigon does to get torque.

Guillaume MARION likes this.
  7. Zoran Petrovski

Zoran Petrovski New Member

Same f... problem.... this is annoying. We are fighting with the drone and gimbal all the time. Solution for us is ronin with custom legs. Sorry but Jason is right for everything. We cant do anithyng. And is embracing on the set. Freefly doesent have solution for this. So friends please sugest other working gimbal solition.

8. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Yah Zoran - welcome to the no-pan setup.

If the client wants a pan shot with decent pace, you have to suggest an alternate as you'll never get the Movi to hold the pan. At best you'll get a twitchy flight.

I can only think our wonderful friends at FF are working on a solution - thinking generation II gimbals. There are certainly more "torque" brushless motors out there that could do the job.

9. Matt C

Matt C New Member

10. Derek Cooper

Um... you got it already... it's called the Movi Pro!

Graham Futerfas likes this.
  11. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Honestly I doubt the Pro will work on a drone with fully kitted Alexa Mini at full speed / side profile. Doesn't really look like a larger motor, just 6s which would provide more torque, maybe a different wind in the motors. Maybe I'm wrong but we gave up on Movi for drone work since we are flying lenses that would make the Pro fail regardless. They should have come out with it having a 20lbs minimum payload capacity, then they would have something to compete with a real remote heads.

12. Derek Cooper

Is FF going to send you a Pro to test Jason? I'd be curious to get your feedback.

Like you, if the client say "We'd like a high speed shot with the camera at right angle..." we run away and hide.

13. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

LOL Freefly doesn't like us :)

We went a different route & it's been awesome, just tested w/ 20lbs payload / side profile / 30 degree inclination / held to 100km no problem so finally able to fly the dream set up: angeniex anamorphic zoom, FIZ @ 18m/s

Will get a Pro eventually but we have a dozen or so M15's that are perfect for handheld work & Flightheads for remote head shit, so no urgency anymore to find a Movi solution to the pan/hold issue, shame cuz we love the Movi but zero complaints, it's made us a lot of money :) had to move on since we couldn't tell 1 more car client we couldn't do a side tracking shot cuz the gimbal will fail at speed.

14. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Jason, which gimbal are you using for your aerial high speed side profile tracking shots?

15. Marc DIDIER

Marc DIDIER New Member

H16 ????

Howard Dapp likes this.
  16. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Was actually considering the H16.

17. Jason Toth

Jason Toth Active Member

Sorry been slammed, yeah H16... dirt cheap and works. Horizon is not 100% bang on but it holds 20lbs camera payload / side profile / 18msec for as long as you want to fly :)