/dist/images/branding/favicon

Remote shutter on medium format cameras??

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Will Glover, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Will Glover

Will Glover New Member

Hi Guys,

I've been asked by a client if we are able to fly either a Hassleblad H6D-100C or the Phase One XF100 for some FVX Stills photography. They both have HDMI out ports for live view but I'm struggling to see how we would trigger the shutter remotely without a servo which feels a little crude.

Has anyone done it or have any suggestions on how this might be possible? Maybe I'm missing something really obvious... I have a remote shutter for the GH4, perhaps this would work?

We normally fly RED cameras for film work so it's pretty new to me.

I can't imagine it would make a difference but will be flying on a Movi M10.

Thanks in advance,

Will

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Will there is a remote release port on the front side of the camera between the grip and the lens that you can use. I don't recall the size but you can use that with a connection to a release module plugged into a extra RX like one of the Futaba's. Map that to a momentary switch on the TX and you would be good to go.

3. Will Glover

Will Glover New Member

Hi Gary,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

I knew there was a port on the front but unsure of it's size also, I did wonder whether it would be something really simple.

I think the client has decided they want to go with the Phase One XF100 over the Hassleblad which does seem to be slightly more compatible.

If you wouldn't mind, can you take a look at this link. It would appear that potentially it's not as simple by the fact that they have worked with Hähnel to make a 8/12 pin 'cheaper' release cable option? Why would this be if the port on the front was so simple do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Will

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Phase One is a completely different camera system. And once you get to the 10pin DIN connectors it's a whole new ball game. Can't tell you the challenge of putting together a Nikon 10pin to simple 1/8 in plug. At least the wiring diagram is available on the web. Depending on the camera it's not a simple open/closed contact situation due to all of the autofocus/etc that happens as a shutter release is pressed. If you go this route plan extra time for testing the release system.

I use the StratoSnapper from http://littlesmartthings.com/?page_id=75. Very versatile. Worth checking out.

5. Will Glover

Will Glover New Member

Thanks for this... I'll take a look.

Will