/dist/images/branding/favicon

URSA Mini 4.6K & M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Dustin Ward, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Dustin Ward

Dustin Ward New Member

Will the ursa mini work on the M10? I don't have my ursa mini yet so I cannot test which battery size will work on the back, if any at all. I'm looking at the Blueshape BV180 as a possible battery solution, but BV90 would be smaller. Here's the link:
    http://blueshapeusa.com/products/batteries/v-mount-batteries/

Thanks for your suggestions!

2. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

I've used it once and it is a tight fit. I used a lipo to power it because it wouldn't fit otherwise. I had to make a custom four pin right angle xlr to lipo connector. I had to use some counterweights too, so it didn't foul the back of the gimbal. The most annoying part was the touch screen doesn't flip around so it was very difficult to access the settings while it was mounted to the movi.

3. Adolfo Cantu-Villarreal

We tried it, it was too much of a hassle to be worth it. A definite no with the batteries you're looking at.

4. Dustin Ward

Dustin Ward New Member

Thanks that helps a lot! Do you know if the touch screen functionality would translate through an external touchscreen monitor like the Atomos Shogun? I imagine it would only be able to display the menu, but you wouldn't be able to actually change any of the settings.

5. Dustin Ward

Dustin Ward New Member

I probably wouldn't be able to mount the battery to the camera, but what about attaching it to the Movi's handle bar and then running a d-tap to xlr?

6. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Yep that should work, just try and get as flexible a cable as possible. Not sure about the shogun thing, but I suspect you are correct that you would not be able to adjust settings. I think there may be an external controller thing that black magic make so you can have control of the settings without having to have access to the touchscreen.

7. Eric DeHaven

Eric DeHaven New Member

not adding much here. But as most have said, you will barely be able to get the monitor open to power up the camera. So that is tough.
    Also its very difficult to balance with any sort of lens and god forbid you put on a focus motor.
    I would put it similar to the FS700 in difficulty.
    We have modified our M10 with longer rods to accept both of the mentioned cameras and it works perfectly. I can try and post pictures later.
    But We use a V-mount plate on the top bar with D-tap to 4 pin for the camera. Focus motor using a top mount (15mm rod off a hot shoe rod mount screwed to the top plate on the camera) then I run a lipo for the focus and mount under the camera at the back with velcro to help offset balance. We have been using fairly small cinemod primes to keep weight down. Its a beast but it works.
    With stock rods you are going to have to put a ton of weight at the back/bottom of the camera to balance and it overloads the motors very quickly. Usually within 1-2minutes of use they shut off.

8. Dustin Ward

Dustin Ward New Member

This is great info and very difficult to find across the web, so thank you! Pictures would be fantastic! I'm going to try to stick to using my Rokinon 2lb lenses to help simplify. What do you think about attaching the battery to the bottom/back side of the camera to work as a counterweight? I will be using a remote follow focus.