/dist/images/branding/favicon

Is Movi XL cancelled?

Discussion in 'MōVI XL' started by Ozkan Erden, Jan 4, 2016.

1. John Santry

John Santry New Member

Intuitive Aerial's gimbal carries the Flex 4k. They are selling it independent of the Aerigon now. We used it when we flew the 4k for Brainfarm. We flew it on Aerigon that time but as long as your heli can carry the 10 pound gimbal plus the 23-ish pound 4k rig you're good to go. They also have the Newton if you're trying to fly the 4k on a drone. Email eric.b@intuitiveaerial.com and ask him about the gimbal. i think the Aerigon gimbal goes for about $17k and a Newton runs about $47k. Newton is bad ass... we are using it on our picture cars with a Flowcine Black Arm.

2. John Santry

John Santry New Member

Sorry.. they have the Newton if you're NOT trying to fly it on drone.

3. Chad Lancaster

Chad Lancaster New Member

Thanks for the info. Ya i've talked with Eric a lot and spent what seemed like hours with him at NAB going over everything. The only downside for me is there is no way to top mount it on the drone and I'd really love to have that option. Maybe I'll ask if the newton could be added to the top.

4. John Santry

John Santry New Member

Cool man no prob. I use Newton a lot. Its great at handling the inverted ops but yeah it's not going on a drone anytime soon. It's 15 pounds empty. Alta 8 can't handle the weight. The 4k rig we flew weighed about 22 pounds... A top mount Aerigon or an Alta12 would be sick! Good luck!

5. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

There are stronger gimbals, but there are no alternatives to Freefly gimbals out there because there's no other product in their class. I'm waiting semi-patently for the stronger entry.

6. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

You can tune the gimbal well and perhaps get up to around 50km - if you're using a longer camera like an F55 with a longer lens then you create more of a sail. You may be able to point right ahead but you wont be able to do profile shots necessarily. Then there's the question of prevailing winds. To get around this you can build a wind brake around the rig that throws off the wind - making a scaffold 'tarp tent' works well and allows for 90 degree profile shooting. For crane work it's a little trickier.

7. jim mundell

jim mundell Member

Curious if the Xl is still a possibility? Looking for a beefier system for car to car, bigger camera/lens, etc. Looking at others but already heavily invested in Freefly. Hoping it might still happen. Thanks, Jim

8. The MoVI XL is not cancelled. Freefly always striving to create, design, and manufacture new and innovative products to be used in the film making industry. Any new product releases or updates to current products & accessories, would be announced via our social media accounts and/or at various conferences around the world, such as NAB, CES, IBC, to name a few. If you have any specific questions, please contact us at support@freeflysystems.com

9. Sam Peacocke

Sam Peacocke Member

Agree with earlier posters; the pan motor is the limiting factor. Even perfectly balanced we are only able to fly at about 10M/S with the camer facing sideways. This is with Alta8 carrying Alexa Mini & Zeiss UltraSpeed. A motor upgrade would be great!

10. Kasper Bröns

Kasper Bröns New Member

My M15 on my car rig works up to around 70 kmh with a FS7 and prime lens, but i would like to go faster.. Does anyone think they will release a pan upgrade? or just an XL...