/dist/images/branding/favicon

Induction in motors due to EMFs

Discussion in 'ALTA 8' started by Jose Rivera, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera New Member

I'm planning on making a flight path through a EMF (Electromagnetic field).

Has anyone experienced destructive (extremely high rpms , burned components, etc) outcomes by it?
    Has anyone worked on a shielding (blocked the EM field using a perfect conductor, or faraday cage, etc) and it worked?
    How did the shielding affect the aero?
    Did the navigation (with control and, if autonomous, the gps) was harshly affected by it?

Thank you

2. Jason Smoker

Jason Smoker Active Member

Yeah microkopters boards are effeceted by emf. i wouldnt be using my gps or navi. I have no idea about the alta 8

3. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jose it might help to be more descriptive of where you are intending to fly. A simple example, I wouldn't fly through the donut hole of a CT scanner with a copter. If the sign says 'do not enter if you have a pacemaker' probably not a good idea to fly.

4. Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera New Member

Its a open area of about 900m^2. Autonomy is a must. The thing is, I talked with a buddy of mine and he once flew close to a Telephone tower and it was not good, but although the drone froze in mid air, he used the kill switch and was able get the drone back.
    I want to read a EM field to see if the theorical values (laboratory numbers) match up to the real value. In order to do so, I need to protect my Drone so it wont fall, i dont want to transform the misson into a drone hunt, that's why I need the shielding.

That's about it.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jose:
    When you say "EM field" are you talking about an alternating electromagnetic field, or a static magnetic field, a radio frequency field, or what?

It's hard to predict what's likely to happen without some sense of what kind of an EM field you're talking about.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Humberto Barchini likes this.
  6. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Can you test fly it with a "disposable" copter like a Phantom first?
    I once flew in the direct path of a high powered radio station transmitter on a mountain with no problems. I wasn't using gps though.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Tim: I wondered about that too, but the real problem is that not all copters react the same way, so if the Phantom makes it through fine, it really does not indicate that the ALTA will too. The converse is also true, if the Phantom craters, that does not mean the ALTA will too.

Jose has not yet qualified what he meant by the EM field, so it's still hard to speculate about what kind of a hazard the EM field presents.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

8. Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera New Member

Andy: Its an alternating continuous EM field.
    If it was a static magnetic field i would fell induction not because of the field but because of me (drone) moving through it.

Tim: I have a "Test" drone to see if that affects all i mentioned in the question. DJI F550
    What frequency do you fly with? Did you just passed by or flew for a while there?

Jose

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

So what is generating the field, Jose? Radio transmission towers? Power lines?

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

10. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

I was flying a while I n the same area about 10 meters in front of the radio station transmitter in the 88mhz range.
    I'm on futaba 2.4ghz rc system and 2 different 5.8ghz video systems. I did an RC range check at the location and all seemed good. I never flew more than 50 meters away from myself though.

11. Jose Rivera

Jose Rivera New Member

Andy: Do you remember the scene of Goldeneye where Bond and Trevelyan battle it out? There (For real)

Tim: Cool!
    Did you see the flight data afterwards? No weird stuff?

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Do you mean Arecibo?

If that's the case, then it's a radio receiver not a transmitter, isn't it?

Andy.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. The Wikipedia page for Arecibo states:

The observatory has four radar transmitters, with effective isotropic radiated powers of 20 TW (continuous) at 2380 MHz, 2.5 TW (pulse peak) at 430 MHz, 300 MW at 47 MHz, and 6 MW at 8 MHz.

Note that TW means TERAWATTS of power....Typical FM radio transmitters operate at 100 Kilowatts or less. (OK, there are a couple that are up to 500 kilowatts). 100 killowatts is 100,000 watts -- nowhere near a terawatt -- which is 1,000,000,000,000 watts of power.

If those transmitters are operating, it would interesting to know your flight path with respect to the waveguide output and the focal point of the dish. The aircraft will either be safe, or very quickly will become toast resting on the mesh of the dish. The RF engineers associated with Arecibo should be able to predict the safe/toast outcome. I wouldn't dare! :)

Andy.

The Ground Is The Limit™

14. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

As long as they can turn the radar off you "should" be fine.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I more or less kinda, sorta, maybe, perhaps agree with Tim. :rolleyes:
    The aircraft will be fine, right up to the moment of impact.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™