/dist/images/branding/favicon

setting up Telemetry with Graupner on ALTA 6

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Manuel Frauendorf, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Manuel Frauendorf

Hi,

I want to set up our new ALTA with Graupner MC30 radio and the GR16 Receiver. Reading the Freefly manual and documentations so far I kinda get the impression that it is not the ideal combination, even though the ALTA is prepared for use with Graupner.
    I'm already having trouble connecting the GR16 to the provided plug between the boom-pockets (do I need an adapter here- it doesn't fit ?).Then I read, that the telemetry will not be provided unless I use Futaba. Don't want to do any complicated wiring or installation of Air Module to see the voltage on the ground.

Can anyone help here on how to setup the ALTA with Graupner?
    We use two other Cinestar 8 systems on hercules boards with Graupner and they work just fine.

Another thing I wonder: Is there a limitation when using Battery Packs with XT90 plugs with an adapter?

Thank's for your replies and help...

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Manuel: I'm not sure I have the answer to your question above, but, going from memory (I've searched the forum and my email but I cannot find the actual supporting reference), there is an issue when you use a Graupner radio. Specifically, if there is an loss-of-signal, the ALTA will return to home but will not land -- it will hover above home until the low-voltage threshold is reached and then it will land.

If anyone knows the above to be false, please correct me!

I'm not sure if anyone else has set up the ALTA with the MC30/GR16, though -- if they have, I'm sure they'll post!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Manuel Frauendorf

thank's Andy, this is what I heard also. I think the l-o-s can be worked around in the menu of graupner radio.

I'm more concerned about the telemetry readings (especially voltage) which I'd love to see on the radio instead of the OSD only.
    Can I use the XT90 battery packs with an adaptor to the EC5 plug? I read in this forum about plugging in minus first. How is that going to work?

Any one here using Graupner with a hint on how to set it up?

Attached Files:

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I'm not quite sure how you can cause the ALTA to both return home and autoland on LOS, Manuel. Do you have a cunning plan for this? :)

The EC5's have a current rating of 120A with #10 AWG wire (sorry, not sure of the equivalent in European terms). The X90's (as their name implies) are rated for 90A, so there is a potential issue there.

Have you considered XT150's? Not only are they rated for 150A, but they are individual connectors so you can connect up the -ve side of the batteries before you connect up the +ve.

If I'm not mistaken, the last person to use the Graupner current/voltage sensor to get the telemetry ended up starting a thread on this forum with the title "ALTA death spiral and crash," (http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/alta-death-spiral-and-crash.7322/) so I would proceed with caution!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Manuel Frauendorf

@Andy Johnson-Laird: The los event will bring the Alta back to home position but setup for landing must be set at the graupner radio beforehand- also think it is not a satisfying way ...

I wonder why Freefly offers the choice of mounting Graupner receivers when it is not possible to transmit telemetry data? I just like the form factor and two displays of the MC30, in addition we fly all Cinestar machines with Graupner...

Hope someone using Graupner can help?

6. Manuel Frauendorf

about the XT150: I don't find battery packs in Germany that come with these connectors. Don't want to do any soldering either....I fly a big Cinestar system with xt90 connectors and never had an issue. Is there any official statement by Freefly or something in the manual that the XT90 should not be used?

7. Manuel Frauendorf

Thought I'd share the official reply from technical support, looks like Futaba is the better choice after all, probably saving me a headache connecting, setting up and mapping Graupner.

Hello Manuel,

Thank you for contacting Freefly Systems regarding your ALTA.

It's true that the most plug and play option for the ALTA is the Futaba system. We sell and support the 14SG. The voltage telemetry lead on the ALTA is designed to plug directly in to a Futaba R7008SB receiver. It is a fairly common Molex style connector that could be adapted to your specific receiver telemetry. I believe the plug style is a 1.25mm Picoblade connector. Something like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-pair-Micr...r-Male-Female-with-Wire-L-100mm-/111370548292

While I'm not able to directly support Graupner products. The ALTA is capable of using these radios. Please follow your Grapner instructions and follow the radio setup portion of the ALTA Setup Guide. If you have any specific questions regarding the radio mapping or radio configuration of the ALTA itself, I will be able to assist you with this. An additional helpful resource for setting up your Graupner may be some RC forums and other users of the Graupner brand. One last idea would be to contact one of our dealers that sells both ALTA and Graupner such as Quadrocopter.

It should also be noted that Futaba provides the advantage of fully supporting dual receivers through Futaba S-bus and the Synapse can recognize a direct Loss of signal evant. If using PPM protocol via other radios, you will need to setup your fail safe settings in your receiver and confirm it is working correctly in your radio system.

It should be ok to use XT90 adapters for your existing packs. They should not spark or if they do it will be a minor spark. If you carry a heavy payload it's a good idea to check the connectors for any excessive heat after your flight. If they are cool or only slightly warm to the touch it's an indicator that they are carrying the load well.

If we can be of further assistance please let us know.

Best Regards,

Adam

FREEFLY Technical Support

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Wise move, Manuel. I think you've saved yourself a bunch of time and perhaps, several headaches!

Andy

Humberto Barchini likes this.