/dist/images/branding/favicon

Motor Noise M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Dominic Eder-Smigura, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Dominic Eder-Smigura

Hello! My recently bought M10 works really nicely besids a few points:

- the motors make a high pitched sound. the people at the place where I bought the movi said, that the motors should be silent. They are not really loud, but there is a noticable sound which gets louder when the motors are working more. Is this slight, high pitched noise from the motors normal? It was there before I adjusted any settings.

- the noise level of my pan motor in the movi app always rises and falls, no matter how low I set the values. Also the gymbal sometimes starts oscillating during faster pans.

Thanks in advance!
    Dominic

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Normally one doesn't hear any sound from the motors, but it's possible that the root cause might be that the gimbal is not completely balanced and the motors are having to work too hard to stabilize the payload.

Can you confirm that you have the camera/lens/etc. balanced properly so that, with the MoVI powered off, the camera will stay in any position that you point it? If not -- that might account for the motor noise.

After you've got it statically balanced, can you verify that you did an Autotune with the Autotune Percentage set to 70% (this presumes that you have the M10 with the full four-sided cage around the camera).

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Leon Kowalski

Leon Kowalski New Member

Hey Dominic I have exactly the same problem with the motor noise, perfectly balanced camera with the motors sitting at 0-1% at rest and my autotune was set to 50% . I will also try testing it to 70% as Andy pointed out when I get home and let you know if it helped me.

Cheers,
    Leon

4. Dominic Eder-Smigura

Thank you for your replies! The camera is really well balanced. I can point it at almost any angle and it stays. None of the motors work harder than 0-3% when the movi sits on the stand. Like Leon, I autotuned it at 50%. I can try to autotune it at 70%, but the sound was there before I ever connected the movi to my phone.

Dominic

#4 Dominic Eder-Smigura, Oct 18, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  5. Dominic Eder-Smigura

Hey! An update on the noise issue: I have watched this tuning video and the noise the movi in the video makes is very similar to the noise i tried to describe: (Minute 1:00-1:03)

Is that the normal motor sound? The noise also alters when I move it around (it reminds me of a dvd drive of a macbook or a harddrive => inconsistent, high pitched noise). Is that the same noise you have experienced Leon?

Dominic

6. Leon Kowalski

Leon Kowalski New Member

Hey Dominic - So I ran some tests this morning quickly, not really sure how to interpret them though: How did your tests go?

Camera I have on is a GH3 with Voightlander 25mm 0.95 lens. which weighs around 550g + 435 = ~1kg / 2.2pounds.

Pre-tuning:

Motors:
    Tilt: -1% Roll: 1% Pan -3%

(I believe these are acceptable levels?)

Autotune to 50% :

Autotune Result:
    pan:92 roll: 66 tilt: 23

Motors:
    Tilt:2% Roll: 4% Pan: -7%

(Motors are audible, especially through the on camera mic. Mainly the pan motor is the loudest)

Autotune to 70% :

Autotune Result:
    Pan: 147 Roll: 92 Tilt: 33

Motors:
    Tilt: 1% Roll: -2% Pan: 0%

(The motors seem a bit quieter, pan motor is still audible, however there is now heavy oscillation when using the gimble and doing some rolls / stress tests)

Autotune to 50% Again after trying 70%:

Pan: 100 Roll: 73 Tilt:23

Motors:
    Tilt: 3% Roll 7% Pan: 0%

____

If the balancing hasn't changed why do these results change? and why are the motors working differently? Not really sure how that tuning reflects the balancing of the gimble. hmmm not sure how else I can balance the camera as it stays perfectly in every position I put it in, including doing the roll test..

#6 Leon Kowalski, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  7. Leon Kowalski

Leon Kowalski New Member

Great video! I will have to try those filter / noise calibrations when I get home later, and will try the manual tune too to see if I can eliminate that noise.

Yep - that is the noise that I am experiencing too like the disk drive spinning up and also the high pitched whine when the motors are working or if the gimble is gently swinging backwards and forwards on the stand.

8. Dominic Eder-Smigura

Hey Leon! Very similar results with my movi. 70% autotune results in oscillation. Overall the motors seem a bit more quiet after playing around with the values, but they are still clearly audible (even when lightly swinging on the stand as you described). The pan motor seems to be the loudest with my movi as well.
    I have searched the forum for posts with the same prolem and found two:
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/high-pitched-whine.6399/
    http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/louder-motors-on-m15-v-m10.5996/
    Although they have not found a solution yet, we will at least take notice if there are any updates on the issue.

Dominic

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

There are a number of posts about the GH3 on the forums. General consensus is that the camera is so light that it is at the bottom end of the scale. Opposite of too heavy for the MoVI. That leads to some of the issues you are seeing. Take a look through the forums and you will see other users suggestions on how to add some weight to give you better results.

Graham Futerfas likes this.