/dist/images/branding/favicon

Futaba Question

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Col Lloyd, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Col Lloyd

Col Lloyd New Member

Hi all. From what I can find on the forum the M5 now works with the 7008SB, could someone possibly confirm this? Also if it is now compatible, can you map which channels the M5 listens on for each control? I will be using it dual and also single op with 14SGs, so need to be able to set it to listen on specific channels.

Thanks

#1 Col Lloyd, Oct 2, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Col: Check page 04-P24 of the M5 manual -- it shows the channel mapping.
    You may also wish to refer to this: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/ind...ng-the-futaba-radio-on-the-alta-6-and-8.7821/

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Col Lloyd

Col Lloyd New Member

Thanks Andy. I have read through the manual a couple of times and saw that table. However what is unclear is if those channels are fixed or you can map them to whatever you want? I'll have a look at the file you've linked, many thanks.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

By the way, I just realized I opened the wrong PDF -- the current M5 manual is version 4.2 and the channel mapping is page 04 p23 (not 24).

Sorry about that.
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Col Lloyd

Col Lloyd New Member

Ahh that's a shame! So how can you use the M5 single op? The plan was to use it as I use Gremsy and have a 7008SB on the aircraft and one on the gimbal for single and dual op.

#5 Col Lloyd, Oct 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2016
  6. Michael McVay

Michael McVay Active Member

Hi Col. I have actually set up an Alta / M5 combo to operate as single operator using 3 Futaba receivers (2 on the Alta and 1 on the M5). It is tricky to operate but you can definitely put all the functions to any channel you prefer them to be on. With the Alta using the first 7 or 8 channels for command and control, I think I started the M5 mapping at channel 9 or 10. I did this on a 14SG but ran out of channels for everything I wanted to map - and the Futaba radio is short on knobs in my opinion. Are you flying it with an Alta or something else? The Alta needed 2 channels for its speed clamps - and those could have been used for the pan and tilt speeds on the Movi if you were not flying an Alta - which would make a 14SG enough of a radio to make all of this work.

Once you understand all the devices and can determine what knobs, switches and sliders you want to use it is not too difficult to set up.

7. Col Lloyd

Col Lloyd New Member

Hi Michael, thanks for the reply, sounds promising. It's a Vulcan I'll be using it with, should be fine with just the one on the aircraft. As long as I can map the Movi channels to whatever I need I'm sure it'll work out. It works perfectly with the aircraft and Gremsy at the moment, I've got a couple of camera trigger systems that run off the gimbal receiver too, so just need to fit the Movi pan/tilt, mode channels around them if possible. So to be clear, I can map pan to channel 11 for instance and tilt to channel 12 etc? Thanks

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Michael:
    From what you say, I must be wrong -- I don't have the app. in front of me, but it sounds like you must be able to set the M5 to respond to a different channel (other than 1, say) for pan control. OMG. Have I really forgotten that you can do that? Apologies for the wrong information, Col...

Andy.

The Ground Is The Limit™

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I remember now -- the problem is exactly as Michael says -- the issue is that there are not enough channels on the Futaba to control the ALTA and control the MoVI for single operator use. Duh. I think I need more caffeine.

I'm going to delete my original post on this because it might serve to mislead someone!
    Andy.

10. Col Lloyd

Col Lloyd New Member

Awesome, no worries at all Andy. Sounds like it's all good so happy days. :D As say, the manual does specify which channels are used, but doesn't mentioned remapping. However, when looking at the app, it does seem as if you can alter them, but without having the gimbal I didn't want to buy without knowing for sure.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

11. Michael McVay

No worries Andy...unless you have a need to look into doing that I think most people just use the stock channels that the movi is set for.

Col: Yes, you could map the Movi pan and tilt to 11 and 12 if you wanted to...I have done it with both Futaba and Graupner.

If you are flying a Vulcan I'm just guessing, but you are probably only using a single receiver on the aircraft? If so, then you will have no problems with the receivers you choose either. With telemetry receivers (7008) you can only bind 2 of them to the 14SG - but if you switch to non telemetry receivers you can bind many more. I switched to non telemetry SBUS receivers on my Alta because the Alta can use 2 receiver inputs to the FC and then bound a 3rd receiver to control the movi. No cables between the Alta and Movi that way and 1 radio to do everything. With your set up, you should be able to control the aircraft and then have enough channels left for pan, tilt, mode, camera trigger, pan speed, tilt speed, etc.

12. Michael McVay

Andy: I think one of the biggest problems with the 14SG and Alta / Movi single operator usage was the lack of centering switches of a way to stop the pan. I ended up putting it on a 3 position switch so I could have a middle position for stopping and up and down was left and right pan...with speed control this was OK. Otherwise you have to just program the end points to a speed that you can live with in most scenarios because full speed left and right was really fast. I reached out to Futaba and found out that on the 18SZ or 18MZ you could actually use the momentary switch and combinations of other switches to alter the channel the momentary switch transmitted on. In theory, for single op, you could you the momentary switch for "movement" and the axis that moves could be changed from pan left to pan right, tilt up and tilt down. A 2 position switch could control if it was going to be pan or tilt and another one could determine left or right (or up and down if on tilt). Since I did not have an 18SZ or 18MZ I did not get to try it, but with those radios the extra channels allow for speed control and then the 3 position switch makes for easy panning and tilting.

Complicated - but pretty fun to get an Alta to fly with a Movi like that!

13. Col Lloyd

Col Lloyd New Member

Perfect thanks Michael! Yes just one on the aircraft. I can just about at the moment get away with 14SG for aircraft and pan/tilt/camera triggers and mode with some careful planning. What you say is exactly how I operate, no wires between the gimbal and aircraft so I can rapidly change from air system to ground. Thanks for your help, put my mind at rest.

14. Michael McVay

Sure thing - happy to help.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Yeah---programming up "mixes" on the Futaba transmitter (as those kinds of complex relationships are called) does really increase the flexibility of the transmitter, but it comes with some definite increase in the complexity of setting up the transmitter. As you say the 18xZ transmitter would allow single operator configuration. I might well invest in an 18MZ -- it appears to have a couple more sliders than the SZ (oh, and a much elevated wallet-emptying capability at $3,000 (aircraft mode) each). :)

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

16. Michael McVay

But, unless you need to use the sliders for multiple things at the same time, with an 18 series TX you could program a switch to have the sliders transmit out on different channels and multi purpose the sliders and knobs for different things (and keep flying REALLY complicated). $3000 is a lot to pay for a TX. Don't forget that if you are going to use an Alta/Movi single op - and want to keep 2 receivers on the Alta - you need to get rid of the 7008s and pick up non telemetry SBUS receivers so you can use 3 or more receivers simultaneously...yet another way to tack on an extra $500.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I have to admire the way that you take the adage to "stimulate the economy" so seriously, Michael! :rolleyes:
    But you're right. You cannot bind more than two 7008SB to a single transmitter as you point out.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™