/dist/images/branding/favicon

Considerations for Monitor Placement

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Ben Gibb, Sep 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Ben Gibb

Ben Gibb New Member

Hello!

I'm new to the MoVI system so I apologize if this is a painfully stupid question but will mounting a monitor or recorder on the crossbar of my M5 cause any issues in terms of weight distribution or require any special attention to tuning and balancing the unit? I was planning on mounting the 7" Ninja Flame which weighs 2-2.5lbs with storage and want to make sure I'm not overlooking any adjustments I may need to make.

Thanks.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ben: Firstly it is not a "stupid question" (at least not in my opinion) -- it's a perfectly valid one.

Anything mounted on the cross bar will increase the "mass at rest" of the M5 and alter the way that the M5 resonates to naturally occurring vibrations. So, for example, if you were to hold the M5 cross bar with the grips at each end, you'd find that the M5 resonates (and needs to be tuned) differently from holding it with just the center handle.

But the good news is that if you mounted the monitor where you want it, just hold the M5 the way you intend to use it and autotune as described in the manual. Then the autotuning will factor in the resonance of the unit as a whole, including the monitor.

Hope that helps -- and if anyone has a better (or even contradictory) explanation, please post!
    Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

3. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Ben, you're in the right place -- Movi people love to talk about their gear!

The monitor doesn't affect the weight limit of the M5 if it's on the crossbar, and it typically won't change the balancing of the gimbal.

I will say that I find a 5" monitor preferable to a 7" monitor on my M15. The 7" monitors get in the way because they're bigger, hit the top handle when it's on, etc. They advantage of a 7" monitor is they make some of them with high-brightness, daylight viewability -- something I can't find in a 5" and have been begging monitor manufacturers like Small HD to create.

Get a good monitor bracket. The Freefly carbon-fiber accessory mount is kind of weak, and I've had them break apart eventually. This is the one part that I like from DJI -- it's tool-less to adjust, which is key for me. I did have to mess around with some grip tape to keep the delrin shim from slowly twisting on the carbon fiber, but it still holds pretty strong.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...0195_monitor_accessory_mount_for_ronin_m.html

Alternately, I have a friend who like this Impact Atom clamp for monitor mounting, and I'm starting to experiment with that one, too (the Kip handle is kind of big, but maybe easier to tighten):

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/sear...es&sts=suggestions-pi&typedValue=impact+atom+

Also, I love Ultra-lite clamps to hold the monitor to the DJI mount. They're quick to adjust, hold firm, and I'm not worried about stripping them.

http://www.filmtools.com/13baadulcosy.html

IMG_2598.jpg

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like your rig doubles as a gym membership, Graham! :)
    A day of shooting must work wonders for your upper body!

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

5. Graham Futerfas

LOL! Well, if it weren't for the Ready Rig, we'd be going nowhere.

Seriously though, the Ready Rig vest is essential -- it takes all the weight off your arms, still allows for high-mode (upside down) shots, and I've been able to work 14 hour days wearing the rig for long periods. Of course, then my lower back is killing me at the end of the day... but my arms are great!

I also have extension handles from Walter Klassen that help, as well.

094A6532.jpg

Brett Lyall and Ty Frey like this.
  6. Ben Gibb

Ben Gibb New Member

Thanks for all the input. I agree the Freefly accessory mount isn't the greatest, I tried using it in conjunction with the redrock accessory mount and I think I'm going to try out one of the clamps Graham suggested. I might also look into getting some type of articulating arm down the road.

7. Graham Futerfas

I tried the Impact Atom clamp the other day, and it worked really well. Didn't have any problems with slipping, and it's less expensive than the DJI.

Both of those have 1/4-20 and 3/8-16 female receivers, so you'd need some kind of bracket or arm to go with it. Like I said, Ultralight Systems is really nice for that.

8. Ben Gibb

Ben Gibb New Member

9. Graham Futerfas

Ah, I've looked at that online before. How do you like it? Does it hold your 7" Ninja?

10. Ben Gibb

Ben Gibb New Member

It holds it but to be honest I'd feel better with something sturdier, that may be the Freefly accessory mount's issue. I bet with the Impact clamp it will feel more solid.