/dist/images/branding/favicon

My Review of Andy Johnson-Laird's "A Rather Good Guide to the Cinestar 8"

Discussion in 'CineStar FAQ - Tips and Tricks' started by Morgan Friedland, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Joe Azzarelli

Joe Azzarelli Active Member

When I first started flying real helicopters I could not even keep it in a hover for more than a few seconds. It was like balancing on a beach ball in a pool. By the time I had took my commercial rotorcraft check ride there was no conscious thought of what to do - it just "happened". Although not accurate, I used to think about it as extending my "ego boundaries". In essence the helicopter becomes a part of "you". Inasmuch as you do not need to think about which muscles need to contract or extend in order to walk, you do not need to think about what mix of control inputs are needed to fly properly. Just strap on your appendage and go!

I have not reached this level of proficiency with the cinestar yet but one can hope!

Joe

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree with you Joe -- in my case it was learning how to thermal a full-sized sailplane. My instructors would just say, "Oh, the core is over there," haul the bird into a 45 degree bank, pull back on the stick and we'd go up at 12 knots like we were on a half-crazed elevator. I would be nonplussed..."How on earth did you know?"

For about two months I could never figure how to find the thermal's core. Until one day I was distracted by looking down at a map to find out exactly where I was, and suddenly I felt a wingtip go up (marking the faster rising air), and bam, I rolled into it, found the core and went up to heaven....well, OK, to about 9,000 feet.... Instinct preconditioned with learned experience. I now find that I'm deliberately doing crazy-assed maneuvers with AerosimRC and deliberately trying to think of other things and let my instincts kick in to regain control.

Now if only i could persuade my brain that a C8 200 yards away and (cough) 400 feet up, was really part of me....maybe that's the time one should use FPV goggles....I've been fighting getting them because I don't like the isolation....and there is also the question of the AMA regulations for using FPV goggles/glasses.

Andy.

3. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

Andy,

First off I just finished building my Cinestar 8 and I have to thank you for making the process smooth! I am now configuring my Spectrum DX8 to the radian system through the Freefly Radian software. My problem is that everytime I try to change the PAN TILT and ROLL slew and configurations and write the settings it applies those setting to all the axis (PAN TILT and ROLL). It's like they are all linked together some how and I cant control just one of the axis at a time without affecting all of the axis. For example when I change the Tilt slew to 2 and hit Write, it will also change the Pan and Roll axis slew to 2 as well, when the PAN should set to 1 and the ROLL should be set to off. Any suggestions on what may be the problem?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Michael:
    Glad the DVD was of assistance.
    I infer two things from what you're saying:
    1. You're working with Radian sensors.
    2. You may not be connecting up to them individually, but you might be trying to program them all from the same connection?

You cannot program them all up by just connecting to one of them -- you have to connect to them one by one. :)

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

5. Michael Brown

Michael Brown New Member

Thank you!! Thank you, Andy!! It worked just as you said, you dont know how many headaches you have saved me!!