/dist/images/branding/favicon

Extending roll arms

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by nick midwig, Jan 8, 2015.

1. nick midwig

nick midwig New Member

I've only been able to find one other post about this but there was never a solution to this issue discussed.

I'm wondering if anyone has successfully modified their M10 to add one or two inches of depth in the roll arms (pointed out in the photos below)

After contacting freefly, they basically told me to buy an m15. I understand why they would say that, but I do not need or want an m15. They can make an aftermarket piece for the pan knuckle but no help here??

I'm not sure if many other people run into this problem, but the cameras can get front heavy with a larger lens and matte box, so it would be nice to have another inch or two of play in the back end when balancing.

Would be super easy if I could just get my hands on the cap piece that is bonded to the right side carbon fiber tube on the m10 (shown in the 3rd photo) Then I could have a set of shorter arms, and a set of longer arms when I need them. There is enough play on the IMU cable to accommodate for another inch of extension on these tubes.

Anyone have thoughts on where to get this piece or how to make this modification? Would love to hear from you...

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Charlie Beyer

Charlie Beyer Member

my feeling is that freefly designed the M10 to work with the tube length they provided. Im sure they tried longer tubes but that would create more stress on an already stressed roll axis gimbal. My feeling is if you can't fit it then try another camera config. I have been using the M10 for a year without one issue (other than cold). If putting longer rods (and thereby longer camera) you make it work. How long will it work. How log will the gimbals continue to perform. drop the matte box. Add a counter weight on the back of the camera. there area many ways to make it work.

3. Wolf Schiebel

Wolf Schiebel Active Member

Hi,

i extended the arms and was shooting with the M-10 and the Arri Alexa M with standard primes and MB-5 Mattebox (2 filters) for 40 days without any issue. You need to extend the Pan tube also! There is no warranty of course, FF keep saying that the gimbal needs a recalibration then and they may basically be right…..

Best Wolf

Karl Barber likes this.
  4. nick midwig

nick midwig New Member

Thanks so much Wolf!

If you have a chance, would you mind posting any photos or tips on how you went about doing this?

Thanks!

Karl Barber likes this.
  5. mark eberle

mark eberle New Member

looking also to extend the tubes ..... any luck in dealing with that bonded cap on the right arm?

6. tcjohnstone

tcjohnstone New Member

I'm very interested in hearing if the right arm issue. Any feedback?

7. stephen hughes

stephen hughes New Member

People have done this to M5 and 10's so I think a little heat helps. Ive yet to do mine as my FS700 with lens is too much for the M10 and buying a M15 is ludacris IMO especially when the M10 is more than capable of the weight.

8. Joe Lawry

Joe Lawry Member

Contact ignitedigi.com.au, theyre doing m5 and m10 to M15 upgrades.. I had my M10 upgraded to an m15 last month.

Attached Files:

9. Gorka Rotaeche