/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan Drift since update 5.01 Akira

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Wolfgang Armin, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi all,
    I haven´t been to the forums for a while. I hope some of you can help please.
    I updated to Akira yesterday. All is really great, except for a pan-drift.
    When I put the MoVI on a tripod, stand or whatever, it drifts.
    I have tried to get rid of it setting the magnetic declination of my location, but it doesn´t work - still drifting.

Unfortunately that way I can´t make use of the timelapse function (well, I could set the keyframes compensating for that, but it would be a lot of maths ;))

I have never had that before.
    Any idea what could be the reason?

Thanks and all the best,
    Wolfgang

2. Graham Futerfas

Graham Futerfas Well-Known Member

Hi Wolfgang, here are a number of questions I'd be asking myself to solve the problem:

It drifts in Majestic Mode? No Mimic or Spektrum attached to it? If you attach it to the handles and set it on the dock, it also drifts, to where the camera is pointing toward the handles and not forward?

And you're set to Handheld and not Aerial, correct? And what if you turn your Heading Assist to None? Motion Booting is off, too?

I got into Timelapse one time and forgot\couldn't figure out how to shut it off, and the Movi started acting very sluggish. You're sure it's not running a Timelapse and drifting?

These may sound like basic questions... sorry for that.

3. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi Graham,
    thanks a lot for your help - no need to apologize for basic questions ;) any input is greatly appreciated.
    The MoVI drifts in Majestic Mode and today in timelapse mode only, even though I haven´t even set a keypoint. Even if I do set a keypoint, the pan motion is much faster and exceeds the set keypoint.
    No Spectrum or Mimic.
    • Setting is Handheld
    • Heading Assist is off (except for timelapse)
    • Motion Booting is off
    Thanks for your help!

4. Graham Futerfas

Hi Wolfgang, have you had any luck working out the drifting problem?

5. Wojciech Zawada

Wojciech Zawada New Member

Hello Wolfgang,

did you figure this out finally? I'm having same issue with Akira in Timelapse mode. It always drifts clock wise making my timelapse shoots quite complicated - as you said quite a bit math would be involved :).

6. Dean Francis

Dean Francis New Member

I too am having this problem. The M10 consistently but slowly pans left when the Mimic is connected, but does not when in Majestic mode with no Mimic. I would love to find a solution as it becomes very problematic, especially on slow dolly moves.

7. Wojciech Zawada

I was in touch with FreeFly support. They said that as I'm the only one having this issue they will treat me with low priority. I made them aware that there is more of us and I gave them a link to this thread. What I got back from FF was that you all need to report your issues to support center so that they have evidence. Maybe, if more of us let them know about the issue they will put more attention to it.

8. Wojciech Zawada

Ah .. it seems I got something back ...

"Until further notice, in order to avoid the issue you are having with the gimbal drifting when using the 'time lapse' feature, you will need to manually change the 'Heading Assist' to 'Fixed Mount' BEFORE you start using the 'time lapse' feature."

So now I need to test.

John W Butler likes this.
  9. Dean Francis

Dean Francis New Member

Thanks. I have been in touch with freely support this evening and am looking forward to their reply.

10. Graham Futerfas

Hi Dean, you are describing a different issue than Wojciech. He's having problems in Timelapse mode, but you're getting drift with the Mimic attached, probably because the radios aren't perfectly zeroed. All the controllers will cause some slight drift, and it's annoying, but that's very normal. I have a set of PLC geared wheels that can zero-out the radio signal coming from it, but if I put the Mimic on, it will start to drift.

Funny enough, changing Heading Assist from None to Fixed Mount can cause the drift to go the other direction. Fixed Mount seemed to be a bit better though.

There is a way to access the Mimic via bluetooth and change it's settings in the app, just like you do with the Movi. I'm fearful of creating more problems by messing around with them, though. I wonder, for instance, what happens if you change the Heading Assist on the Mimic, or turn its GPS Assist off... Here's a screenshot of the Mimic settings:

11. Graham Futerfas

Sorry, here's the screenshot: Screenshot_20160823-112659.png

12. Thijm le Grand

Same pan drift issue when tested the beta version on the m10 with dx8 remote.
    Just updated our m15 to 5.01 and dx7. Also drifting in remote operation. Trims centered.
    Gimbal freak when app connects first time > m10/m15 (v5.00 and 5.01)
    M10 is therefore still on 4.02 > Arial use

13. Dean Francis

Dean Francis New Member

Thanks Graham, indeed this does look to be a separate issue. Your explanation is useful. I will have a look at the Mimic settings, as we find the Movi very useful for slow tracking shots on smaller films but when it drifts it becomes impossible. I had a very prompt response from Freefly support and have sent them some videos so will report back if I discover any new solutions.