/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sneak Peek: FAA part 107 Regulations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Andy Johnson-Laird, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

And we have "Remote pilot in command." RPIC. For any Brit or Aussie, I suspect that will make them think of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harpic

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

According to a post I just read at DroneCoalition, this will surprise a lot of people...

...Section 333 Exemption holders will still be able to operate under their current COA for the next 60 days, but their exemption status will expire as soon as the 107 goes live. The FAA site has already removed the application/information page for filing for a 333 and all of those applications that have been submitted but not fully processed to date will fall null and void. Those applicant must now wait and go through the Part 107 process (training/testing and registering) with the rest of us.

http://dronecoalition.net/general/faa-dot-part-107/

3. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I don't know where he got that info. On page 83ish it says that the 333 holder may opt to operate under their exemption until the date of the 333 expires. In fact they even state their are some cases where the operation of the 333 supersedes the 107, such as the 107 restricts UAS to less than 55 pounds. They claim that there are some 333's out there that have granted approval for a heavier and would not comply with the 107.

They did say that anyone that is applying for a 333 in the que will be advised to pursue the 107 if the operation fits the 107. Also they said that a new exemption process under the 107 will be started for any ops that does not comply with the 107 provisions. The vehicle that they will be using will be a COA process similar to the one used for the 333.

Here is the official wording in the FAQ's on the FAA.gov site.

What happens to my Section 333 exemption when the Part 107 rule becomes effective in August?
    Your Section 333 exemption remains valid until it expires. You may continue to fly following the conditions and limitations in your exemption. If your operation can be conducted under the requirements in the Part 107, you may elect to operate under Part 107. However, if you wish to operate under part 107, you must obtain a remote pilot certificate and follow all the operating rules of Part 107.

It drives me nuts when all of these news sites put out a bunch of noise and cloud the damn issues :mad:

Regardless, on Monday net week I am putting in for my temp 107 cert, just t cover my ass.

4. Nick Kolias

Nick Kolias Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, this is completely wrong. Be careful about the source when it comes to interpretation of regulations.

Also, while the Part 107 regs will certainly change the landscape for UAS and the volume of operators, at the high end, producers will still prefer 333 exempt operators if for no other reason than insurance. For the past year it has not been the FAA folks doing any kind of enforcement on rogue operations but rather the insurance companies. On any national spot, episodic TV show or studio feature, between the insurance questionnaire and whoever the underwriter is, a lack of a FAA certificate and not being 333 exempt would never be acceptable. Going forward, producers who understand the big picture will continue to want this since it enhances insurance terms, keeps premiums lower and simply demonstrates a higher level of competence.

Alex Fuller likes this.
  5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Thank you for the clarification, gents! :oops:

6. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

7. Shaun Stanton

I
    After further digging in to it wont be available until August 25th where they should have a specific category for RPIC on IACRA.

#27 Shaun Stanton, Jun 23, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  8. Shaun Stanton

I left a comment on that site. It was removed, however they corrected it.

Steve Maller likes this.
  9. Mark Troy

Mark Troy New Member

I took the online course on the FAA website for sUAS. To prepare for the 107. Then found out you basically have to take the aeronautical portion. So it is not anything easy.
    This is basically airplane pilot knowledge. You have study the Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, (PHAK), Airmen Knowledge Testing Supplement, and about 10 other documents (resources) that they refer to in the training so that you can pass the test.

I believe that this will seriously affect the industry, at least commercially. If anything slow down the sales. Everyone will have to have this to operate a drone for commercial use. I was on the verge of buying 2 drones for starters to just do some real estate and vacation filming. But with my current job, it will take me much longer to prepare.

You have to understand weather effects, airplane engine parts and what they do, instrumentation, on and on. Just go through the table of contents of the 2 main books mentioned above and it is very extensive

I have taken the initial online course of the FAA and talked to one person there and they verified that you have to have this knowledge to operate commercially.

Tried calling people in the business, butof the ones I have been able to get a hold of, they don't know much about it other then the name of it.
    Am I missing something?

Below are samples of some of the test questions. How do you walk in to take a test and know the current weather conditions at random airports?

What are the current conditions for Chicago Midway Airport (KMDW)?

The wind direction and velocity at KJFK is from:

Why would the small flag at Lake Drummond in area 2 of the sectional chart be important to a Remote PIC?

With ATC authorization, you are operating your small unmanned aircraft approximately 4 SM southeast of Elizabeth City Regional Airport (ECG).

What hazard is indicated to be in that area?

Who would a Remote Pilot in Command contact to "CHECK NOTAMS" as it is noted in the CAUTION box regarding the unmarked balloon?
    What airport is located approximately 47 (degrees) 40 (minutes) N latitude and 101 (degrees) 26 (minutes) W longitude?
    What is the floor of the Savannah Class C airspace at the shelf area (outer circle)?
    (this one is in the Aeronautical Information Manual, if you can find it)
    At Coeur D`Alene which frequency should be used as a Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) to monitor airport traffic?
    What does the line of latitude at area 4 measure?
    While monitoring the Cooperstown Common Traffic Advisory Frequency (CTAF) you hear an aircraft announce that they are midfield left downwind to RWY 13. Where would the aircraft be relative to the runway?

Those are just a few.

Thank you for any help, or advice.

10. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

You need to take an FAA Approved Ground School Course, that will teach you all of these things. Most courses run about 6 weeks and are a wealth of knowledge. The ground school is what us real airplane pilots needed to take in order to get our licenses so it's great to see the FAA hasn't made this exam a cake walk.

if you live near a smaller airport, you should have several flight schools you can contact to get going. Tests begin in 11 days so bette start cramming but then again it might not help.

Luckily, I turned in all of my paperwork today to the FAA with my pilots license and Part 107 Certificate (I took the test when it was released for Part 61 pilots) and 8710-13. As of 8am 8/29 I will already be legal under Part 107 and then can choose to work under our 333 or my 107.

Shaun Stanton likes this.
  11. Mark Troy

Mark Troy New Member

Thanks for your reply.

So these Ground course , someone can just walk in and take this with no background or knowledge?

I think the commercial retail side of the business is in for a shock unless they have people like you working for them. When I have called to talk to them, they had no clue. One had even abandoned that side of his photography business.

12. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

Yes, anyone can enroll in Ground School. There will be several books that you will need to get to study with as well as Sectional Maps but yes, anyone can do it.

Like you said, I think many, many people are in for a shocker when they go to take the test. It's $150 to take the test and you must get at least a 70% on the test to pass. If not, it's a 14 day waiting period to re-test and another $150 and so on.

13. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Mike, the iacra system (https://iacra.faa.gov/IACRA/Default.aspx) that CFI's will need to issue an RPC does not have the RPC yet. Does your CFI assume that is it going to be there or did you drop it off at the FSDO?

tx,m

14. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

I emailed it to one of my local FSDO's.

I too can do it on IACRA on the 29th but figured I'd get everything in now so then it's nothing more than FAA signing off on the morning of the 29th and I'm good to go with my 107 endorsement on top of our company 333 and my Part 61.

15. Mark Troy

Mark Troy New Member

It's somewhat confusing to me, so I apologize. Now that I have the 107 online course certificate, that is worthless for commercial usage until I can pass the test administered at the FAA which requires all that I mentioned above?

16. Mike Fortin

Mike Fortin Member

That's correct, it's 100% worthless to you UNLESS you already have your Part 61 Pilots License.

If you don't have your pilots license you should enroll in an FAA certified ground school to learn all of the material that is on the Part 107 exam.

The course can range from 2 days of cramming (for people with aviation experience ) to 6 weeks for beginners.

17. Mark Troy

Mark Troy New Member

Thank you very much for your help

18. Scott Strimple

Just to clarify something... There is no such thing as an FAA approved groundschool for the Remote Pilot Certificate. I teach a 107 Knowledge test prep course that goes far and above just passing a test. I won't post advertisements for my school here but just know that there are reputable ground schools available. PM me if you want more info

19. Cody Hanthorn

Cody Hanthorn Member

"Just to clarify something... There is no such thing as an FAA approved groundschool for the Remote Pilot Certificate. I teach a 107 Knowledge test prep course that goes far and above just passing a test. I won't post advertisements for my school here but just know that there are reputable ground schools available. PM me if you want more info"

Agree. Well said.

I just took my test this Monday with a pass.. I had originally used Gleim online school earlier this year, then I switched to another that I am very happy I did. Most of the Gleim/ or full pilot ground school stuff is well above what is needed for remote pilot.when a person does and will not carry a full pilot rating at any time. Lots of things covered in full ground school that is in no way needed. There was not any questions of threshold, or markings on the pavement..etc. The one I did had nearly all of the test questions in a format covered in it. Not really any surprises in the test. The one online school I did was 10 chapters in 3 weeks time 30 minute study sessions per day got me about to the end. Most of the questions the answer was there and certainly made you think. I did not like the way the final test did not let you go over the test questions missed in the end in the way I had hoped. I got some wrong I was certain I got right and vice versa. Some tricky questions in the test from wording. I did find out the few I missed and why. Its more of knowing it for the next test in 24 months and having it in a organized binder. Anyway the last few days have been a nice relief and flying in the colorful sky right now with the trees is pretty fun.