/dist/images/branding/favicon

Tero shock oil leak - what HPI oil weight?

Discussion in 'Freefly Tero' started by Fabio Taddei, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Fabio Taddei

Fabio Taddei New Member

Hello everyone. I just received FreeFly Tero and i noticed oil spots on original box. After installing MoVi M15 and Alexa MINI on it, i found oil spots on the floor...also Tero was all dirty due to oil leaks, and it was never used yet.

Given that this is a HPI Baja common issue (which can be solved installing threshold umbrella seals inside shocks), which HPI shock oil would be recommended for a 9 Kg MoVi + Alexa MINI setup (except Tero obiously) or heavier setup?

Fabio

Attached Files:

2. Fabio Taddei

Fabio Taddei New Member

Btw,
    this is our setup:
    20160530_162927.jpg

Wanhee Cho likes this.
  3. Derek Cooper

Derek Cooper Active Member

Fabio - just received our Tero. Did you change out the stock ESC or make any other mods to the unit?

We will look at the shocks today and will likely have ideas on which oil to use - what did you go with in the end?

4. Fabio Taddei

Fabio Taddei New Member

Hi Derek.
    Yes, I replaced Mamba XL2 with brand new Mamba XXL version. That horrible high pitch whining noise disappeared (if you get that new ESC, be sure to apply last beta fw available, since manufacturer removed power limit). Since new XXL ESC has also telemetry reading available, I also replaced stock tx with a Futaba T-4PX and ESC's manufacturer Telemetry Link for Futaba SBUS2, and Quick Connect Duo to recover and apply settings to the ESC).

In the end I used 35wt oil for shocks. Ops...almost forgot: stock shock caps will soon or later cause oil leaks...so better to replace them with Bleeder Caps.

Now I can really enjoy Tero's stability and performances.

Cheers
    Fabio

5. Derek Cooper

Fabio,

We noticed the shock leaks right away and will fix that today - just got the unit yesterday from a friend - had only been used on 3 jobs.

The stock ESC packed it in after 10 minutes. Are you running 6S or 8S? My driver is not a fan of Castle ESCs and will be changing that up for an Ezrun ESC.

First thing we did was replace the stock RX with a Futaba! LOL

Derek

6. Fabio Taddei

Fabio Taddei New Member

Yes, oil leak is a well known problem...we received our almost empty, because of the air shipping probably.

5s actually, but also stock FF 4s. XXL is really perfect with factory installed 2028 extreme motor.

Crossed fingers for you Exrun choice...if you get any problem, you have a backup working solution (tested with Alexa Mini).

7. Derek Cooper

8. Derek Cooper

9. Fabio Taddei

Fabio Taddei New Member

10. Fabio Taddei

Fabio Taddei New Member

I used 5s just because I have 30 of them absolutely unused and brand new. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend 8s since Tero will get too much acceleration and you don't want to risk a flip over. I tried 2x 4s in series (8s in total), too much power...

11. Derek Cooper

Update on the Tero on the bench:

Just replaced the stock Castle ESC with the EzRun:

http://www.hobbywing.com/goods.php?id=405&filter_attr=5417.5535

We've ordered a replacement servo - one in the unit is pretty soft. Here's the HiTec one we will be using:

http://hitecrcd.com/products/servos...tra-heavy-duty-giant-waterproof-servo/product

Searching for a regulator now for the servo - should be able to find one shortly.

Will likely have the Tero off the bench within the hour for some testing... stay tuned...

12. Derek Cooper

Ok, change of plans - went with a different servo:

HITEC HS-5765MH

Will test it shortly. Finishing its installation now.

We are liking EzRun ESC much better than the Castle - smoother starts which is key. If you are going to mod your Tero, absolutely start with this ESC - your drivers will love it!

13. Derek Cooper

Hey Fabio,

Started a separated thread here with our modifications including oil selections.

Derek