/dist/images/branding/favicon

CONNEX ProSight on Alta 8?

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Jean Bernard, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Jean Bernard

Jean Bernard New Member

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

JB check with the Freefly help desk. Issue will likely be that the video overlay may not work due to the higher rez of the camera.

3. Jean Bernard

Jean Bernard New Member

Thanks. Will try! Every time I ask "help desk" a question... they refer me to this forum :)

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

It's a cunning plan when they and we don't know the answer...we live in hope that "they" know the answer and vice versa. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, sometimes the forum members are indeed the best source of information -- there's a vast amount of practical knowledge and experience amongst the folks on this forum (sometimes it requires a few minutes of searching to find the answer, though). That said, sometimes there are questions to which nobody yet knows the answer -- and this might be one of them, I'm afraid, Jean.

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limitâ„¢
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Jean Bernard and Chris Harrison like this.
  5. Jean Bernard

Jean Bernard New Member

I just posed the question to both AMIMON and Freefly. Will report what they say.

Absolutely!!! This forum has been extremely useful especially for a newly Alta owner. And we are all busy with our lives and I appreciate people taking the time to help others out. Great community.

Thanks
    -JB

6. Jean Bernard

Jean Bernard New Member

Amimon got back to me with a link to an article explaining how they co-exist with other 5.8GHz systems:
    https://connexuav.zendesk.com/hc/en...-CONNEX-coexistence-with-other-5-8GHz-systems

followed by another on usable "fixed frequency" after I asked about compatibility with their own Connex HD:
    https://connexuav.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/207455363

and a link on setup when working multiple systems with CONNEX ProSight:
    https://connexuav.zendesk.com/hc/en...k-setup-for-multi-system-with-CONNEX-ProSight

Freefly' just replied with this:

Jean,

Thank you for contacting Freefly Technical Support. We have not tested the ProSight for compatibility with the ALTA OSD. The transmitter needs 5V, which the ALTA can provide, but I don't know what the cable is. You may need a custom cable to power it. With the proper power cable, you may have video feed from the camera, but we cannot say whether or not the OSD will work.

We also cannot say whether there would be interference between the two Connex systems. That would be a question for Connex themselves.

Thank you,
    Bryan

I just sent and email to Liron at Amimon asking about if OSD would work with Prosight on the Alta and which 5v cable to power it? And I asked if the could talk to Freefly and maybe send a unit to them for a compatibility test.

I am going to buy the ProSight in the meantime and hopefully figure out how to put it up on the Alta. It looks promising with the fixed frequency option they have.

Will keep you posted.

7. Sami Peltokangas

Sami Peltokangas New Member

Anything new with this case?

8. Andrew Georgopoulos

Andrew Georgopoulos New Member

Jean,

Did you test this? Looking to know what the best HD FPV option for the Alta 8 without interference. Looking for the best signal with the longest range. Anybody have any thoughts or tips ?

9. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

The prosight camera has a multi strand cable with about 15 different wires in it to go to the transmitter, so it's unlike any fpv camera I have seen before.
    My guess is that it's a digital signal and not the analog signal the Alta requires to insert the OSD info on.
    I have flown the prosight with several other 5.8ghz analog systems in use and it plays nice without causing interference.**
    What I suggest is to use two screens and two fpv cameras, one analog system to get the osd data and one just for the prosight to use as your good fpv view. Get a screen with a built-in receiver and it makes life easy.
    The prosight does have battery voltage monitoring built in, but only up to 4s so that doesn't really help you on an Alta, and you'll need to power it separately. Due to the short cable lengths made for racing quads everything will have to be closely mounted. Not a great fpv system for a cinema-type rig, but it's the only player at the moment.

** be forewarned- the prosight can lose signal very quickly and abruptly when blocked by trees or obstacles, even when well within range.
    I WOULD NOT rely on it as my only fpv camera on the Alta.

10. Andrew Georgopoulos

Andrew Georgopoulos New Member

Thank you so much Tim. What is FPV systems/ set up out there to use? I will just use the fpv system that Freefly provides with the OSD but I want a super strong picture back up so if I ever need to fly by FPV.

Thanks looking forward to you answer.

all the best,

Andrew

11. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

The best system I've used is a good 5.8ghz system that has a cloverleaf antenna with a good camera (high dynamic range etc. ) and a diversity receiver system. Even if you get static you can still see. The connex will break up digitally and you get loss of picture. See this video of my first experiences with it on a racing quad.