/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying ALTA indoors

Discussion in 'ALTA' started by Aleksi Tuomela, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Aleksi Tuomela

Aleksi Tuomela New Member

Hi,

I'd like to get some info on flying the ALTA indoors (in large industrial spaces). As I understand it, there shouldn't be any issues in general if I'm flying only in Height Hold mode or full manual. Is that correct? Or does ALTA need the GPS at all times, even when in Manual mode?

The thing is, our ALTA won't boot up succesfully indoors at all, probably because of the GPS signal being so weak. That makes me concerned, because I've previously flown some Phantoms and they boot up just fine indoors (when not in GPS mode).

So in a nutshell: can I fly our ALTA indoors, and if yes what settings/specifications do I need to know about?

Thank you!

2. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Greetings Aleksi. I recently flew a day inside an extremely large and seriously steel laden building. Starting, flying and landing in manual mode were not a problem. I required no setting changes and was able to intermix external and internal flights. The Alta never knew it was inside or outside as long as I stayed totally in manual.

3. Rolf Ableiter

Rolf Ableiter Active Member

we filmed in a big church here in Germany without any problems.
    manual and height mode are super smooth inside. you will love the ALTA flying inside :)

be sure to let all the doors closed when flying in height mode (barometer).

4. Humberto Barchini

Hi Aleski... I think the Synapse don´t like to boot in extremely magnetic interference area... I have the same problem to boot it near a High voltage tower... at last it did not boot at all, and I have to finish the job with and S900 + GH4... maybe the factory have large equipment that use a lot of electricity... that may be the problem not the GPS...

5. Aleksi Tuomela

Aleksi Tuomela New Member

Thanks for the replies, everybody! So it seems that everyhting should be fine when booting and flying indoors in manual mode. I'll have to examine the booting issues closer and see what's up... I just got an error when booting and thought it was the GPS since it booted fine outside.

6. Jeff Scholl

Jeff Scholl Distributor

Hello,
    I was in a sound stage and the ALTA wouldn't boot until I propped it up on a Pelican case. Pretty sure it was a compass issue from steel in the floor. Also turn GPS Height Assist to off when indoors and flying in height hold.

Best,
    Jeff

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Jeff: if it was a plenum floor, (that is raised tiles), it probably had numerous cables underneath too, all messin' with Mother Earth's magnetic field.

Andy.

8. alex ryan

alex ryan Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but you should have gps height assist off at all times pending a firmware update.

9. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Hi,

can anyone advise how/where to toggle on & off the GPS height assist please on Alta please? I can't find anything in the app.

Thanks

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Neil:
    Check out the left hand image at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/freefly-alta/id992259653?mt=8

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

11. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

How on earth did I miss that!?? I started looking into the GPS when I tried taking off the other day in manual & it wouldn't let me arm, looked on here & found that the Alta won't boot properly if the airframe is turning on the movi in the wind or such, but updated firmware & there was a fix for that anyway (best fix is the prop foam wedged between Movi & Alta during boot, in my opinion - as mentioned here on the forum), so that is sorted, I had thought at first that the Alta would refuse to take off without a certain amount of sats/GPS fix.
    Something else I'm concerned about is the altitude reading, on the ground recently it displayed -161 when I was in fact at 390 amsl, I was unable to abandon the takeoff as it was an exam, unfortunately I had to preform a RTH which obviously worried me (given the altitude error), it didn't find a height then come back, it made a diagonal, slight ascent then began landing at which point I was allowed to take back Manual control.

Am going to try manual compass calibration etc & see if anything changes but if anyone else has experienced strange altitude readings & has any advice...

Many thanks Andy, can't believe I missed that :)

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

No sweat, Neil.
    Personally I have never, ever missed anything when it was hidden in full view! :rolleyes:

Andy

Forensic Software & sUAV / Drone Analyst : Photographer : Videographer : Pilot (Portland, Oregon, USA): Trees=2, Ground=1, Props=11. :(
    The Ground Is The Limit™
    ---------- Forensic Drone Analyst : Forensic sUAV Analyst : Forensic Unmanned Aircraft Analyst : Forensic Drone Expert

Neil Cain likes this.
  13. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Hey Andy, just checked & my app (version 1.5) is missing the GPS box....screengrab attached

Attached Files:

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmm. That's curious.
    Are you sure that you went to Configurations -> Aircraft Dynamics -> Height?
    EDIT: Sorry....I looked at my copy of the app before I looked at your screen capture.

I see it there on my iPhone app. v. 1.5.

Andy
    2016-08-10 09.34.18.png
    The Ground Is The Limit™

#14 Andy Johnson-Laird, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  15. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Yeah, it's missing from the app on both iphone & ipad...very strange

16. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Just updated android device to App version 1.5 & it's missing from there too, will open a ticket with Freefly I guess

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I just uploaded a screen grab (above) from my app. (not connected to ALTA at the time).
    ...mine's an iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3.2 by the way, should that be relevant (and I'd be surprised if it is).

That's sufficiently odd to warrant an email to support@freeflysystems.com to ask.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™

18. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

I'd be very surprised, I think it would either install or not install the app, my ipad is up do date also. I'll see what they're saying & relay back what I find

19. Neil Cain

Neil Cain Member

Incidentally, the GPS height assist tab appears in my apps height configuration when the app is not connected to the Alta. It then disappears when connected to the Alta, I've tested this with & without a GPS fix, anyone else experiencing anything similar?

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oh....that's interesting. I was not connected to the ALTA at the time I looked either.

Andy

The Ground Is The Limit™